1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Cobalt16

Cobalt16 Pangalactic Porcupine

How do we know that the secondary group of developers won't take this game down the wrong path after the primary development team leaves? Is Tiy going to have some sort of say even after he leaves?

2. Zacheous

Zacheous Space Spelunker

3. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Any Post-Release Content Plans happen to involve the Darkbound, or Glunaughts? [​IMG]

Oh, & one thing that might be cool to consider is if a Starbound Demo could include the Character Creation, something like how DA:O 1 did. It's cool to be able to make your Character in advance before it's time to start playing the game, especially when it can be fun in & of itself for minutes to hours on end! :DD I also like & support the Earlier Post idea of the Demo being like a 'Training Room' kinda thing that could enable us to get the hand of the basic functions & controls of the game before the Full Game is out, then it can make for an easier start in the game when we all start playing it! (Not to mention help us stand the wait for the Game to reach 110% completion into a flawless epic gem.) :up:

Warren likes this.
  4. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

It's great to know that you already have plans in place for this, and that you respect your customers enough to state "for as long as people play it", not just as long as it makes you money.

Adding this link to the release/beta thread :)

5. Guiyran

Guiyran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It was not in this thread. It was either in the Reddit AMA or or it was one of the interviews he did. I don't recall exactly, but almost everything he said in the OP was said somewhere else before.

6. Hugt

Hugt Phantasmal Quasar

All of my yes!! This is gonna be one awesome game.... Can't wait!!! :DD

7. FrostyWolf

FrostyWolf Void-Bound Voyager

My biggest concerns are all about hosting really. I talked to you in IRC in the past, and you pretty much smoothed over all of those concerns (and even help me decide how many system resources to allocate towards the Starbound server).

The biggest things are:

Cross platform standalone server options (confirmed)
    A modding API that will support sending clients mod resources when they connect to a server with mods on it (pretty sure confirmed)
    Proper server configuration options (not sure on this yet)

A option to turn on automatic updating for the server would be nice, and I would LOVE to see that clients, upon connect to a server that is NOT on the same update as the client, would update/downgrade to the right version upon server connection.

8. Martin_Noble

Martin_Noble Void-Bound Voyager

I can wait, this game is gonna be the "FOUSHIZZAL!" or in other words really awesome

9. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

There will definitely be modding support, it will be extremely easy to make a new mob/item by essentially modifying text files, no programming knowledge required. Tiy is aiming to get texture pack support post-release.

Bamseper and Axe Garian like this.
  10. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

Are you sure about the texture pack support?

11. Stargazer

He said it somewhere a long time ago, I can't remember where. But if you really want to make a texture pack, you can hack it in.

12. Mr_FJ

Mr_FJ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You said ask any questions, so...

Could Starbound turn into an MMO in the future? :D

13. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

This fact is a known fact via the List of Announced Game Information Thread. :) (Modding Sub-Section, recently added News.)

Hmm... speaking of Post Release Modding... Will there be limitation on what kinda Vanity Items & such can be Modded in due to Copyright Problems & such? (Example: If someone were to try to mod in an Iron Man Vanity Set.)

14. Stargazer

No.

Breather likes this.
  15. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't rember reading it (And I have a pretty good memory), but the LoAGI says it's been anounced. Did you read it in Tiy's AMA? There were a lot of questions so I might've missed it.

16. Stargazer

Either that or I read it on the IRC.

17. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

As long as I can get my Stratoboards in I'm happy! :rainbow:

18. FrostyWolf

FrostyWolf Void-Bound Voyager

MMO = Massive Multiplier Online

All this game would need to qualify is to support a large about of people on the server at once, I believe it's a valid question.

19. Sounds good, Tiy. Definitely looking forward to the post-release (and actual release). :)

20. pitfall

pitfall Big Damn Hero

Let it be said that we the community love you.