WIP [Planning] Stardew Valley Automation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ADoby, Mar 16, 2016.

?

Do you like the Idea ?

1. Yes

91.2%
  2. No

3.6%
  3. I would do it differently (post below)

2.2%
  4. I don't care

2.9%
  1. ADoby

ADoby Subatomic Cosmonaut

Name Suggestions:
    Factorized Valley

Description:
    Create factories and automate many things within
    Stardew Valley by combining many new blocks and items.
    This will be the planning phase where every item, object, interaction,
    dialog, mob, NPC (e.g. merchants) needs to be identified.
    Think about Industrial Craft, Mekanism, Buildcraft, Thermal Expension etc. for Minecraft.

Planning Phase:
    This thread is used to plan this mod and get feedback about features and systems.
    I'd like to implement this in the near feature, but it might need some time
    until modding apis are even capable of creating such a mod.
    I would like to get in touch with e.g. STORMs developers to be able
    to get the most out of this that I can.

For now I'll wait for feedback and try to plan it in more detail.
    I hope this gets enough attention to be even relevant.

Planned Items (Materials and Consumables):
    Basic Materials:
    Copper Ore (Existent in Vanilla (Might add graphics or different versions))
    Iron Ore (Existent in Vanilla (Might add graphics or different versions))
    Tin Ore

Copper Dust
    Iron Dust
    Tin Dust

Basic Components:
    Cable
    Battery

Factory Components:
    Electric Motor

used in factories to automate things

Electric Heater
    used in factories to generate heat

Planned Objects (Placeables):
    Copper Ore Vein

for the mines

Tin Ore Vein
    for the mines

Coal Generator
    Used to create energy using coal

Solar Generator
    Used to create energy using sun power

Wind Generator
    Used to create energy using wind

Battery Unit
    Used to store energy generated by a generator

Ore Crusher
    Creates Dust from Ores
    Can be automated by adding an electric motor and electricity

Smeltery
    Creates Ingots from Ores or Dust
    Can be automated by adding an electric motor, electric heater and electricity

Farmer (Name tbs)
    Add modules to add functionality like placing crops, watering dirt, fertilize and harvest
    Can be automated by adding an electric motor and electricity (only needed for placing, harvesting and fertilizing)

Current Team: (1)
    Why should you help when you don't know
    If the guys working on it are capable of doing so?
    Small intruductions of all members should fix that.

Me (ADoby, tZed, NeonOby)

I am a professional C# developer working fulltime for a small company in germany.
    In my sparetime I work on small projects like
    Mods, apps and prototype games.
    Main contribution: C# programming and structure
    Knowledge with/in: C#, C++, java, vb, html, php, css, photoshop, maya, unity3d, networking, audio engineering, drawing and many other things

Suggestions:
    You can suggest blocks, items, interactions and other things below.
    They will be reviewed and added to the lists.

Donating:
    It will take while until this will be playable, or even started.
    If you want to have a higher chance of this getting real donating is the best way.
    Money lets people think about their decisions and drives them forward.
    BUT I would suggest that you wait until we can be sure that this is even possible.

I don't need the money to live, so each cent donated for this project will only be used for this project.
    We will need artists, audio engineers, and probably more programmers as well.

Ways to donate:
    Patreon

Will probably be used for early access and suggested features

Disclaimer:
    I don't give any guaranty this project will succeed or even come to life.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    • drakrochma

drakrochma Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds interresting.
      Would like to see how this works.
      I dpnt know if i wanna automatize everzthing but some things would be nice.

• Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

I like the idear mr joja uhm i mean ADoby. :unsure:

• ADoby

What does mr joja mean? :)

Added Team member description.

• ADoby

Dont forget to post feedback and suggestions.
            Sharing with friends would be positive too.

You can also contribute by e. G. Drawing concept art or writing dialog with potential NPC's

Have a nice evening

• Anaxagoras

Anaxagoras Void-Bound Voyager

Stardew Valley meets Factorio? Sign me up.

• rchpweblo

rchpweblo Void-Bound Voyager

Here's an idea. Ridable minecarts with placeble track. You could use them to haul goods from place to place, or ride in them to make getting around the farm easy. They could also be used to auto dump items into machines with a hydraulically tilting rail module or something of the like. Plus all the sprites already exist in game. Except the item dump rail module and its custom animations. The only problem with this is I'm not sure if it is possible, or ever will be.

• ADoby

Good Idea, I goes someone else will try to implement that in the mean time.
                  But it would be nice to add it as in a modpack.

• rchpweblo

Yes that will be nice.

Though to be honest though I wouldn't mind trying to develop it myself (provided it can be done as of yet), I'm just not sure how to. Wait, I found a thread for SMAPI which looks good as it seems the new developer is adding some nice features like adding new map areas and NPCs. Is there a guide thread you recommend for storm API? Though until storm API becomes more finished I will probably stick to SMAPI.

• ADoby

I don't think there are any guides yet that are complete enough. probably because the api may change any time.
                      We just will have to wait a bit more. in the meantime we could just plan mods.
                      This makes later implementation easier and faster.

• rchpweblo

Yep, that's just how it goes sometimes.

• Dougl07

Dougl07 Pangalactic Porcupine

Copper is already a thing, no? You can already get copper ore from copper veins.

• ADoby

It's one of the vanilla ores, yes.
                            But I'd like to add them to the list non the less. Because it might add new types of the same ores (more dens, a cluster or just graphics)
                            Iron Ore should be added to the list, as well as Dusts for every material.

• OOOHSpookyGhost

OOOHSpookyGhost Intergalactic Tourist

Dont forget, a huge factor of this game is water, although some rudimentary water automation has been implemented in the base game it could be completely reworked. Both the collection and spreading of water as a resource could be implemented, as in pipes and having to choose between passive water collection such as rain barrels and more active collection like pumps.

• ADoby

Adding more complex watering would be nice yes.
                                I just don't want to create toooo many layers.
                                Placing pipes and saving them would need changes to the way stardew saves locations.
                                Because you would need another layer for placing pipes without interfering with objects or terrain.

I don't know when we will be able to save custom data into savegames or locations.

• Gotheran

Gotheran Phantasmal Quasar

Not sure I'd like minecraft Tekkit level of automation, but some improvements such as say a mining machine you can build at higher mining levels to automatically mine wherever you place it with the variety of outputs being dependent on /where/ you place it, as well as potentially having the machine break due to overuse or if you place it say deep in the mines it getting attacked.

My thinking would be it works like any periodic producer (such as the mushroom farm, bee hives, etc), but your outputs, and rate of breaking, depend on where in the world you place them. Placing one in town, or on your farm or other nondescript locations would often turn up stone or clay, maybe some random bug meat or other random things you might find digging around. Placed in the mine you could get a high chance for whatever ores are most common on the floor you place it, stone and clay still show up from time to time, and there's even a rare chance for getting higher tier ores but the chance is considerably lower the higher up in the mine its placed, placed closer to the bottom you'll get more gold and even rarely iridium, but you run the risk of it breaking regularly (them shadows thinkin it's evil Dwarf machinery). It would be nice if once broken the item could be recollected for a share of the resource cost to craft it, or a broken version you could re-craft with less materials.

You could even place it in Skull Cave, with a good but not high chance for Iridium but an incredibly high breaking rate. Or on the beach with a more reasonable break chance but you could randomly get seashells or other beach related goodies.

Maybe alter Tappers, or add a crafting recipe to turn the sap jars you get from tapped trees into proper sap. Maybe even a machine that (while not very logical) could turn 10-20 wood into 1-2 hardwood, so you can get hardwood a little easier than grinding the hidden forest or praying you get some lucky barrels in the mines.

As an aside maybe an upgrade to the slime hutch could be made with external ports for the functionality of the hutch, a hopper you could collect the produce from and place water in so you don't need to risk stepping inside to care for the slimes (assuming you don't have or want the slime ring).

Another thing, I'm not fond of the lightning rods ingame, perhaps instead you could have robin build a "charging station" and it comes with a more realistic tower to attract lightning, and a small machine at its base would slowly convert the power into a sum of batteries instead of just one. (1.21 giggawats for 1 battery? Comeon!) Alternatively you could also make power lines and have electricity driven furnaces, and lamps, maybe some other things that make sense to power.

• Weakens

Weakens Orbital Explorer

Thats exactly what I want!

I just started to make a similar game in Unity (just a hobby project), but its so mutch work from scratch and I don't want spend years with it. Oh and I am pretty bad with arts.
                                    Stardew valley is a very good base for these factory stuff.

Do you need a programmer to your (solo) team? note: I am not professional yet, and only have C#, Java and Unity experience and never tried to make any mods, but I already have a strong knowledge with C#.

I really want to make a game or mod like this!

• Slywyn

Slywyn Existential Complex

I'll bump this and say I'd also love to see something like this implemented.

• TheLolingPain

TheLolingPain Aquatic Astronaut

I'm watching your thread Mr.ADoby... I like it where it is going :nod:

• BadShaddy

BadShaddy Subatomic Cosmonaut

While I was playing I thought too about automation.
                                          Obviously the first thing was: why do I have to manually put "everything" in every machine? That's why I started to use CJB Automation, even if it's pretty rudimental and could be improved a lot.

For example: pipes for items' transportation.
                                          How that would help? Well, for example, I want to cook "Pancakes".
                                          Pancakes require eggs and wheat flour, the first can be obtained from chickens but the latter need to be bought.. that's the first Machine I would do: Wheat Flour Machine or, to be more traditional, a Mill. (it would also work with other stuff aside of Wheat, for example Coffee and Salt)
                                          A Mill can be powered by: wind, water, electricity -> the more power it has, the more it will work.
                                          If you powered with Wind, it will need a specific machine that store wind power and transfer it as electricity, if you do it with water you have to put water in it.. if you go with electricity itself you'll need batteries or a generator or something else.

Now that you have something that produces wheat flour for you, you'll need to transfer it where you need it.. that's what pipes are there for.
                                          Same goes for eggs, you transfer them through pipes from a chest where you keep your ingredients.
                                          Where do you transfer them?
                                          To the Automatic Oven.
                                          How does it work? It's simple: you put the finished product in a slot, so the Machine recognize it as the output you want (and so you have to know the recipe to do it, most of the cases) and everytime it receives the ingredients needed for that specific product, the Automatic Oven will produce it.

This concept could be applied to many other stuff, obviously.

Another idea is the Planter.
                                          Whad does it do? Very simple: you have your soil and you want to keep it with specific plants/vegetables/fruits? You have the sprinklers but you don't want to harvest and plant stuff everytime, because you are already max level and want to do something else?
                                          That's ok, put how many seeds you want into the Planter and when the time is right, it will harvest the plants and replant the seed by itself as long as there is soil available around it.
                                          And maybe you can configure it like the sprinklers' mod. Who knows.

Another cool stuff would be a Lumber Mill, a structure that will harvest woods around it without destroying the seeds, but that seems difficult to do..