1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Planets moving?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by pwnload, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xdamienos

xdamienos Aquatic Astronaut

Impossibru, cuz when they change their Co-ords bookmarking may help you (the one who found the planet), but for the ones who just got the Co-ords from you may end up in nowhere like this or on a different planet.

2. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

WELL FINE! My bookmarks involve planting a machine that plots the trajectory, Speed, Rotation and orbit of the Planet, Making all possible locations at any given time during it's orbit so my coords are NEVER wrong! ;3

3. Bomb

Bomb Title Not Found

I think the answer is already answered above.

However, if they ever wanted to implement a 2D star map with animated planet rotations, I would be all for that!

4. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

cool idea but I don't know if it would work :(

5. Megalaser

Megalaser Aquatic Astronaut

I doubt it, I assume the star map is just static, you select a world and load into it. So there would be no point in implementing that.

6. GermanJesus

GermanJesus Big Damn Hero

I would not expect them to be moving. It would be pretty realistic if they did, but in the end, it will just confuse people. The coordinates would get messed up, and unless they are stagnant until you find the planet, which is then recorded, when it then may move about in orbit, it wouldn't work out, in my opinion. If you get lost when reading that, I don't blame you... I did too...

7. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Its one of those features that would be neat to see, but a headache to program and probably an overall annoyance to have to deal with. Sure its realistic, but you have to draw the line at some point between reality and game.

8. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

Eh, it wouldn't be a difficult thing to program but it could definitely be an annoyance. I'd have to see how the whole "jumping between planets" bit is being done to make that call.

9. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Try telling that to the creator of The Sims ;D

I agree though, we didn't need orbiting planets for Mass Effect so I don't see why we need them for Starbound.

10. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

well in theory you COULD have it, but I've not seen the "mapping" system for the game. I don't know if its just going to be a bunch of planets set up in a connect the dot way, or if they will go the Spore rout and have galaxies you can travel to and visit planets there. If they did the latter, then they very well COULD have them move.

11. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Of course, the idea itself isn't unthinkable. However in terms of want vs need this falls highly on the want category and while it may make the it look prettier it wouldn't have an overall effect on the planets themselves (it could, but that's talking about adding a whole new system of mechanics into the game) and as mentioned previously, we don't know how the co-ords are set up fully which would become void if the planets themselves move.

12. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

So long story short, wait and see some footage before we can decide?

Afterscore likes this.
  13. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

There is always the possibility
    that the star map will list star coordinates not planet ones
    and the planets rotate around those

although technically speaking stars move as well
    but you know what they say
    in space its all relative

14. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, the location of another planet can affect your planet, like for example, tides, temperature, gravity (i.e. jump height), mobs, invading from other planets, plant growth rate, and ultimately, bosses.

15. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

too many factors not enough variables
    maybe the star chart actually shows the stars instead of the planets
    like I just said before

16. Techgamer

Techgamer Big Damn Hero

I think it was Tiy that said you could bookmark planets...

And uh... they will be kinda easy to find since they will always orbit the same star. As long as it's easy to find the star want, it will be simple to find the planet you want.

This is what I'm saying.

Exactly :)

17. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I agree with this theory
    what if star charts can locate solar systems
    with multiple planets in them

Techgamer likes this.
  18. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

I hope you can find planets with bookmarks or a list of possible planets, but I WILL HAVE MY SUICIDE PLANET GRIEFING!
    IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO!

19. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

calm down sollux there is no reason for this violence
    put your glasses back on before someone gets hurt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.