1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Planets moving?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by pwnload, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwnload

pwnload Big Damn Hero

Will they make the planets move? if they do.
    Thats gonna be challenging to find the planet u want to go on.

2. Cobaltcakes

Cobaltcakes Cosmic Narwhal

Do you mean in the background, or on the star map when traveling between worlds?

3. pwnload

pwnload Big Damn Hero

when traveling between worlds

4. Cobaltcakes

Cobaltcakes Cosmic Narwhal

Hmmm, it's hard to say without official word there.

But personally, having planets jumbled around the screen while trying to select would become a bit tedious and confusing.

5. Haslet

Haslet Void-Bound Voyager

Since the planet locations are based on a coordinate system I highly doubt it.

6. pheonix1901

pheonix1901 Zero Gravity Genie

I agree, while the concept would be slightly realistic (planets do follow orbits, at a speed determined by distance from and velocity) it could become troublesome. If the planets moved slightly from day to day that would be interesting, and more realistic. However with the concepts the developers have in mind it seems the concept is more about exploration than tracking down the motion of planets. Travelling to individual stars and exploring the surrounding planets is more plausible, as we see in games like Spore (blast from the past :]).

This is a cool idea if done as to not be confusing, I look forward to seeing how a concept such as this would develop :)

Also please correct me if i'm wrong, its been a few semesters since I took Astronomy haha.

7. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Pff, the revolution theory is just a myth, there's no such thing as "Space"

8. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

The sky is really just what they ''want'' you to see.

9. I think it would be cool if planets had, like, rotations, but that would make the coordinates thing kinda insensible.

10. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

Since the navigation screen will be a star map, maybe they can form constellations based on where the coordinates are?

11. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Hmm it would be interesting if you could plot and record orbits of planets. Mapping Galaxies would be awesome.

12. imperishable

imperishable Pangalactic Porcupine

Judging by what they've said about how coordinated work, I doubt it. They said that you could give coordinates to your friends so they can explore the same planet, so I doubt that they'll make them move.

13. Imagine all stars [with their orbiting planets] end up in the middle of a galaxy after an unthinkable amount of time.

[unthinkable amount of hours later]
    -opens starbound program-
    -wants to go to a planet-
    -notices the center of the galaxy seems brighter-
    -checks it out-
    -notices everything is backed together, all being absorbed by a massive black hole-
    ... Yeah, I need to uuuuh... clean my room...
    -closes starbound-

EarlOfDoom and Deathbringer539 like this.
  14. Daitenshi

After your ship and all your gear get lost forever in the infinite depths of space and time?

15. Indeed, Major.

16. Daitenshi

-salutes- That would be a game killer for me. like seriously...

17. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

The anti-matter team would have their hands full with that one

18. Daitenshi

-talks to anti-matter team- Hey.... -points to black hole- Fix... Now... -hands proper documents and takes notes-

19. xdamienos

xdamienos Aquatic Astronaut

I Don't think they will move since they said you will be able to take Coords from different players planets to get to the exact same planet. If the Planets would move this would be impossibru :O

20. Daitenshi

Well Planets can be "bookmarked" so Perhaps the Co-ords change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.