Pixel Art?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by LazerEagle1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

I wanted to do some pixel art for Starbound in the suggestions forum. Which program should I use? I'm guessing Adobe Photoshop, but idk. I've never done pixel art before, the closest to pixel art I've done is make a texture pack for Minecraft. How many pixels should I make my canvas? 100x100? 150x150? I'm not really sure. Well, thanks for helping me and taking the time to read my post.
    Oh and here's some of my work in Sketchbook Pro, I haven't done anything in Photoshop yet, except texture packs and skins.
    I call this one 'The Birth of Yakemia'. It's not finished yet, cause I started it yesterday. It's an inside joke between me and my friends. But I think it's a good example of my artistic ability.
    [​IMG]

2. saison

saison Phantasmal Quasar

I use MS Paint like a bossaru.

3. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

MSPaint is for scrubs!
    [​IMG]

All the cool kids use IDraw3

4. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

Somehow I want to pat your "cathulu", but I'm afraid that it will bite me.

On topic: I would use Paint, if I were you.

Starheaven07 likes this.
  5. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

You can download a program called "Paint.net". I like it better than paint, I think it has more features.

Starheaven07 likes this.
  6. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]
    It's always nice when I can reuse these things

FOR. SCRUBS. :lod:

Ecchiholic likes this.
  7. saison

saison Phantasmal Quasar

It's preference. People should stop saying one program is better than another. It's what you're more used to. I will give that MS Paint is missing a couple things like transparency, but that's about the only essential thing.

Btdubs, Jaber is a SCRUB.

8. LazerEagle1

So, what? I use Photoshop, like, I already have it. So, yeah.

9. ChickenBandit

ChickenBandit Star Wrangler

Gimp or photoshop is fine. Though, oddly enough , I recall Visual Studio 6's C++ IDE including a really nice pixel-by-pixel art editor. I imagine something similar is still in later versions of visual studio.

10. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

I use gimp. its free, mac compatible, (i have a mac) and its got all the tools you could ever want for pixeling.

11. LazerEagle1

I have GIMP, too. But like, how many pixels should it be?

12. LazerEagle1

And kinda off-topic, what do you guys think of my artwork? It's not my best, but not my worst either.

13. Waspor

Waspor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know if you know this or not since you said you wanted to know this for pixel art for the suggestions forum, but there is a fan art forum separate from the rest, sorry if you know this already, just wanted to help out a fellow newbie. :laugh:
    P.S. and you're art is better then what I can do, so that's a good thing :p

14. LazerEagle1

xD! Thanks! and yeah, I'm gonna come up with some cool shizzle for a suggestion. It'll probably be pretty garbagy though; I've never done pixel art.

15. Opirian

Opirian Subatomic Cosmonaut

I use paint.net for my pixel art for my suggestions
    Heavy Lifter.png
    Tank Drone.png

16. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

For the size, im tinkering around with making a starbound based avatar for myself, for that its 32x25, and you can look on the meet the team page for proportions and such. for anything else, you kindof just have to experiment.

17. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

To add to the suggestion of programs good for spriting, I add one recommendation to Paint.Net, and suggest looking into GraphicsGale. It has a pixel grid that can be set to however-many-pixels-you-want wide, and some stuff that lets you fill individual spots of the grid. I used it to make my avatar, using a blank Starbound character for reference while converting it to having the pixels 3x3 instead of 1x1. I changed it because 1x1 pixels seemed a bit small.

18. LazerEagle1

Ok, well where did u get the Blank Avatar? I can't seem to find one.

19. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

20. mramazerful

mramazerful Starship Captain

Paint.net is great for my meager attempts at spriting.