1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help [Petition] Please fix Server Stability

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Stadl0r, Feb 5, 2015.

1. renojonathanr

renojonathanr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah. If Chucklefish can't see that, then I've lost all hope in them.

P.S.: I fixed your library. The link to the fixed code is in the thread for ILikeCheating. It wasn't exactly unuseable, but right-clicking when noclipping would disable the noclip because StarAdder throws an error because it tries to look up a table entry in a nil variable.

2. Invalid Username

Invalid Username Void-Bound Voyager

I support this.

3. Not A President

Not A President Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Stability over content.

4. Pepperkat

Pepperkat Phantasmal Quasar

10/10 I approve this message.

5. If I had money to spare, I would pay to prioritize multiplayer stability.

6. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I'd say it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about but I can barely understand you. The game has been 'early access' since December 2013. Give them time, you say? They've had over a year to fix multiplayer. Nobody here insinuated it was easy, either. None of us are so naive that we think all you do is slap on some updated 'netcode' and the problem is fixed. But they put the multiplayer into a product we've been patiently waiting for them to fix and that multiplayer component barely works. It is literally their job to do this.

7. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Still don't get why they're still ignoring the one thing that is going to add the most longevity to their game. Multiplayer/networking is definitely extremely tough to tackle, especially for a game of this scope, but surely it would be more than worth the time and effort to make it at least decent?

Just to compare, I got bored of Minecraft single player in about 2-3 weeks, then another month I spent with mods and such, and then I went online... Spent 3+ years playing/being involved at a server... Made tons of friends... I'm sure I'm not the only case where multiplayer has been pretty important to keep playing.

This game is even perfect for that, it has so many things built in that can be used to socialize somehow and stimulate playing with others. You can show off your cool armor/clothing, play songs together, show each other all kinds of downloaded songs, roleplay with the textboxes of the chat messages, show off your creations, etc etc. Then wrappers added even more functionality, such as a protected spawn planet where people gathered, warping, kits... Yet they chose to put multiplayer last... The game could be multiplayer heaven if it worked right.

I remember that there was only one version where it was semi-decent (that's very gently taken) in terms of stability and performance, it was around that time when the Starrybound wrapper started to appear, more than a year ago. After that it just became a big fat trainwreck and from the looks of it it has even gotten worse now.

8. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I would like to echo your points. I played Minecraft, Terraria and Starbound for their online social aspects. I too made a ton of friends, ran kingdoms, crushed others and kept going back for more. It led to me finding a desire to write lore for games where there either was no story or I felt it would be fun to create our (community) own. I did not play any of those games' singleplayer for long because there was no point in my mind. The online was where the purpose was. Doing something great is nothing if you have nobody to share it with. I love to get on my Starboud server, hang out at spawn and play instruments or socialize with the other people. It's more enjoyable to me than playing singleplayer, getting great armor, beating a boss then standing there going 'now what?' But all of that is disfigured by hideous online issues. Having fun hanging out? Too bad, some freak with a super fish axe just dislocated about 30,000 tiles and now your server is lagging.

9. metal face

metal face Void-Bound Voyager

I support this. I've been taking a break due to all the servers I play on being unstable. I refuse to return until servers are stable again. New content means nothing to me if I can't play without the servers crashing every 5 minutes.

10. Starstilanx

Starstilanx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The message seems to have made it through. Hopefully we won't have these problems after the next update is released:

"Next patch will have ship pets, teleporter networks, server stability improvements, some hints towards the main quest line and more"

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/576151656351600641

Fleder and renojonathanr like this.
  11. Yeah i saw the tweet as well, i'm hoping this time is really fixes and not another like the last tweet "we're working on server stability and security" and after a while, they weren't, the only thing fixed was the /ban command.

So it's a question for me of wait and see by myself if they really achieved something this time.
    But honestly don't expect much, they might fix this and that, but some issues of the software are part of the own design choices they made and that will require serious remakes that is what they already mentioned necessary because they could actually provide real stability and security.

Things like, a way to handle players ships without mess up servers having to upload them to the server every time they enter it; a way to separate MODS from MP, a client with mods that do not work on MP should not make the server try to read its mods, causing huge spams of errors, specially mods that mess with lua.... This 2 are just examples of more complex issues that are as well reasons of why the server software is so unstable; issues that can't be dealt with a simple bug-fix.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    devuno and renojonathanr like this.
  12. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Never gonna give this up, never gonna put this down, starbound needs, better multiplayer!

13. Marth5543

Marth5543 Void-Bound Voyager

Marth5543 approves of this message

NatasNEma likes this.
  14. NatasNEma

NatasNEma Aquatic Astronaut

Signed!!! They better fix this crap.

renojonathanr likes this.
  15. walliedirt

walliedirt Void-Bound Voyager

YES Server Stability has my vote!!

NatasNEma likes this.
  16. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't touched the game in a month because of server stability. Fix please!

17. Heya people, so they made one update to unstable that asked to test how is server stability.

I decided to setup one server for it on our dedicated machine, if you're wanting to poke on unstable and want help, you can join: ilovebacons.com:21026
    As we have some concurrency on that server we can find how is really the performance.

Be aware there are breaking issues on unstable multiplayer, you can read about what may happen here: http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/c...r_feedback_on_server_stability_in_the/cpzxsld

18. Kyll

Kyll Orbital Explorer

Yay, thanks Bacon! Great to have your greasy input on this.

19. Tuliup Man

Tuliup Man Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hopefully it is somewhat fixed, I have not tested it, but I am happy to see available servers to test, thanks Bacon

20. Well of course there is very low numbers of players on this unstable server as expected, for now the server is running for 2 days without a crash, when it did crash it was without no crash error info (what points for the same stability issue as before). It is of course at this point of uptime, facing a constant lag, not sure but may be the linux memory leak taking effect.

We will really only know when on stable, servers can be tested under concurrency. Side of that the biggest issues of MP on unstable are mostly based on teleporting issues, players getting stuck at ships/missions/planets, random crashes while playing multiplayer sometimes that will make you unable to enter the X server in question, the change that you enter now on the server on the place you firstly left from causes issues when you leave the server from another player ship (servers still don't unload the player ship when such disconnects)...

So there's still quite some things to be fixed there before this can be pushed to stable.