1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue PC Crashed and now my save is gone

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sapling, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Sapling

Sapling Scruffy Nerf-Herder

TSIA Mostly, I was playing Starbound pretty much just walking around when my computer shut off (power issue), when I logged back onto Starbound my entire save is gone (had completed the story, nearly fully upgraded MM and ship, had a few colonies). Restarting again didn't help. Is there any way to get my save back?

2. zeraphis

zeraphis Space Hobo

Hey, i lost my save too, but the difference is, i didn't crash my computer or whatsoever. So whats going on?

3. Crise

Crise Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you want to know what went wrong, check the starbound.log file for the corresponding play session (the game keeps a few logs worth of backlogs, they should be numbered).

If you want your save back, your best bet would be to check your player and universe folders and try and restore an earlier backup (they have extension .bak# where # is a number, make sure the player and shipworld files are from the same backup to be safe).

Edit: all things referenced above are in the "storage" folder of your Starbound installation.

4. Sapling

How would I go about doing that? renaming stuff? moving stuff into a new folder? pretty new to this kind of stuff.

5. Crise

Just remove the .bak# extension and replace the presumably corrupt files with those files basically. Choose the most recent .bak files to do this with as they are backups of older saves after all.

For example you should have files such as "[jumble of characters and numbers].player" and "[jumble of characters and numbers].shipworld" in your player folder and you should also have files named the same but with .bak# (where # is a number) at the end. Just replace the originals with the most recent backup, and the game should be able to load those.

Sapling likes this.
  6. Sapling

Thanks, got all my items back. A few hours previous but I'm just happy to have my character back.
    All my teleporter bookmarks seem to have disappeared also (along with the ark), is there a way to get THEM back?
    edit: also, all my ship navigation bookmarks are gone too.. now I have no idea where all my colonies and stuff are ):

7. Crise

You can restore access to the outpost using one of two methods... either look for you starter planet with the activated gateway and use that or look for an ancient gateway orbiting a star and activate it using core fragments then use it.

As for your lost bookmarks, they are part of the universe data, and can't be restored using the method I described. Your best bet is to look at the names of the .world files in your universe folder, the name contains the coordinates of the planet corresponding to that .world file, you can then use those coordinates to navigate to the planets using your ship. Although, having said that your spawn points on those planets may have been reset, so you may not spawn on the same spot as you do when you beam down, however, if you used flags you can re-add those just as easily as the teleporters on the outpost.

Using the coordinates from your .world files should help you to find your built structures on those planets provided it is only the bookmarks that have been lost though if that is not the case then you might just end up with an untouched reseeded planet.

Edit: the first two numbers are the cordinates you enter on the nav console that should point you to the right star system, the third corresponds the planet, however, that can't be entered so it will take a little bit of trial and error (the final number is the segment of a planet that file corresponds to, I think, but that is likewise useless to you).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Sapling likes this.
  8. Sapling

Got back to my home planet, which is where most of the stuff I needed was. Thanks a lot for your help man, you've been really helpful.
    I'll make sure to keep a backup of my saves now :D