participation at festivals

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rauchschwalbe, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Hi,
    I really like to play Stardew Valley, but there is one thing, that is a bit annoying for me. We have to participate in every contest. There is no way to not participate and still see the contest. We either have to give it our best or loose on purpose. I would prefer to have the option to simply attend the festival without participating a contest. I know, I could just walk away, but for example in Harvest moon games you could also watch the contest and just relax.
    Thanks for reading :)

JB_Markowicz likes this.
    • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I agree. Simply putting an option into Lewis' dialogue-- 'would you like to participate in X' -- would be the best way to set that into the game context. And if we don't want to egg hunt/ice fish/grange display/haunted maze, then there should be a /random/ outcome, not simply a scripted winner every year. Let's see Marnie beat Pierre on her own in the Harvest Fair, or Elliott win the ice-fishing, or Maru's new egg-detector (It's not cheating! There's no rule against it!) mess with Abigail's winning streak.

Rauchschwalbe likes this.
      • JB_Markowicz

JB_Markowicz Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed, it's annoying to participate everytime, why can't i simply watch the kids searching for eggs? I also feel kinda sad for the people who lose to me, i always in the egg hunt ._.

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

Yeah, participating in the egg hunt after the first year seems kind of rude and selfish to me. There are a couple of little kids, and some young-adults just having fun... of course the battle-hardened super-fit farmer-forager extraordinaire is going to win every time. I mean, we spend every day running around collecting stuff. Obviously we're going to win. It would just be demoralising for everyone else. The first year is alright, because the player character is just a greenhorn. But after that... it just feels wrong to deny those poor kids a fair competition.

The Harvest Fair is kind of similar after awhile... The first year is a fair contest. But then in the second year, NPCs still have their bread and cheese, while the player character is bringing out legendary fish, ancient fruits, magical gemstones, etc. Any year after that would just be rubbing salt into the wounds of the other poor villagers; and the $2000 prize is not worth their pain!

JB_Markowicz likes this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

^ Maybe to add onto that, the festivals should get increasingly difficult as each year goes by? Say, for the Egg Festival, you have to find more eggs each year in order to beat Abigail. Or the requirements for the grange display are higher. Or you have to catch more fish to win the fishing contest. Some variables that change from one year to another, even if they're just randomized, would keep us on our toes.

We buff our skills so quickly but the games don't really get harder to compensate, so after the first year you feel like you're just being a bully. lol I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but I stash all the top tier items for the grange display in a chest and basically reuse them year after year. Its not even a challenge anymore. >u<

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I sometimes set up 'themed' grange displays, not to win, but to see what kind of score they get. This past year, Anne (of my pirate-themed save) set up a grange display of all wines! And scored 75 points, which is a close second place! It's possible if I'd used a few more expensive varieties of wine, I might have /still/ beaten Pierre with nothing but a display of all wines...

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
              • Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I actually approach most of the events the same way, I don't really play to win as much as exist in the world xD

I even tried to convince abigail to let the younger kids win the egg hunt, but she wouldn't have any of it.