[ Outdated ] Mods Installation and Distribution - Beta Offended Koala

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DJ_Ditz3, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

Yea.. you didn't extract it into your mods folder, you copied the contents of the first folder in the zip, your mistake. Also yea, don't use paint, i fixed your first texture because it had the white background.

Semmelx3 likes this.
  2. Semmelx3

Semmelx3 Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, Thanks :) i use Photoshop now. Thanks for ur help! :)

3. michealv

michealv Industrial Terraformer

I use Paint.NET myself, I find photoshop too confusing..

4. Mr.Lincolnham

Mr.Lincolnham Void-Bound Voyager

Is it possible to use regular notepad at all, or does it definitely not work?

5. Mr.Lincolnham

Starbound ran completely without errors, but none of the mods were in the game.

6. Westeller

Westeller Space Penguin Leader

Yes you can use regular notepad, but it looks terrible.

Can you expand on that a little?

7. Mr.Lincolnham

Can you expand on that a little?[/quote]

When it started up, no error message popped up, and the game started normally, so the mods must have been installed correctly, but the game did not change. It was supposed
    to add a new race, but it was the same as before.

8. Westeller

Westeller Space Penguin Leader

I mean could you provide more information on the mod you're using and how you've installed it. The game starting without an error doesn't mean that a mod has been installed correctly - it could just as easily mean the opposite.

9. ConnorXA

ConnorXA Orbital Explorer

Pardon me, I accidently ruined my game files. Specifically the "player" file in the "assets" folder. Could one of you perhaps send me a text file of the original? I've tried everything, and I've removed every trace of the mod. Help?

10. DJ_Ditz3

DJ_Ditz3 Void-Bound Voyager

The player file? Uh, generally when you're modding you should be making the mods in the mods folder meaning no modifications of the source files :p Also try to make a backup of your assets folder. When in doubt, delete affected files from assets and use steam to verify local files and redownload any and all files you've modified.

11. gabriel386

gabriel386 Intergalactic Tourist

But what about mac?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

12. Durude

Durude Void-Bound Voyager

Ive by no means scoured the entire forum about this but I have run several searches that have turned up nill and this seems like the most logical place to post this, if a moderator feels this should be posted elsewhere please feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread.
    After the update to Enraged most of my mods got broken and I would see wrong version errors when trying to load up starbound. I was very upset to learn that the mods them selves have not yet been updated to the latest gave version but fear not I found an extremely easy work around that has fixed all my out dated mods. I cannot gaurentee this will work for every single mod but it did fix all of mine so I am hope full that this will be a universal fix.

Ok so here it is, first open up your mods folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods" if your running 64bit OS and C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods if your on 32bit OS.
    Next Open up your mod that is no longer working and open the .modinfo file (As stated above its best to use notepad++ however I simply used notepad and it worked fine for me. You will see something like:
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "CreativeMode",
      "version" : "Beta v. Furious Koala",
      "path" : ".",
      "dependencies" : []
    }
    In order to not get a version error when loading the game simply change the line "version" : "Beta v. Furious Koala", to read "version" : "Beta v. Enraged Koala",
    Save and close the .modinfo file and enjoy your mods again until the respective mod creators have made their updates.

Hope this helps get you all back up and running with your favorite mods after a new update

13. Superfluous_Helium

Superfluous_Helium Intergalactic Tourist

I'm trying to run Starbound after installing "Rise of the Hylotl" and I keep getting loop errors. I tried doing what your tutorial instructs me to do but I'm still not getting anywhere. Do I need to remove "dependencies" from the .modinfo? I haven't done what others have mentioned above yet, since I'm not sure where this error is originating from.

14. Dolan

Dolan Pangalactic Porcupine

I didn't download "Rise of the Hylotl" mod but if as you say this one get a .modinfo file, that meens that it's not a mod compatible with le last Starbound version, Enraged Koala.
    The packing process for the last version implies to include the .modinfo file in the .modpak file and put the modpak file at the root of "Starbound\mods" folder.

So if you are running the last Starbound version the only mods that could work look like a single .modpak file at the root of mods folder.

15. Superfluous_Helium

Superfluous_Helium Intergalactic Tourist

Ok thanks.

16. I cant find the starbound file

17. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

i dont get it... if im using a mod which is in the mod folder... and the mod info has the path "." thats how im suposed to leave it? the mod oncfig is set as assets as mentioned in the thread... but i cant still get em to work T^T

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yes you should leave it as ".". That's "the current directory", and ".." is "one level back up".

19. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

ah ty ty ^_^ it all makes sense now! :3 i hope you keep expanding this great mod! if only they would make it an official race :eek:

20. Feinty

Feinty Master Chief

So you just put the folder that has all the mod data into you starbound mod folder

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.