1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Orbital Strikes/Help.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Maka, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maka

Maka Void-Bound Voyager

I'm pretty sure there will be a bar for attacks and whatnot that if they were in a medieval game would be called spells.

Who thinks that it would be cool/helpful to use a large portion of that "mana" to call in orbital strikes or health kits or anything from your spaceship?

For example, you're fighting a difficult boss and you need to open up an opportunity to get him, call up your spaceship/sattelite and send hellfire on his ass.

Anything like that.

Y/N?

2. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it's a cool idea but don't think it should use energy but a timer perhaps and certain resources as fuel and shells for the strike. The strength would depend on how long it has been since the last strike the longer between the stronger it is since your crew would have more time to prepare shells and stockpile them for a strike. There would also be a max size the strike would be since you can't stock pile infinite shells for launch.

SuperKleb likes this.
  3. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the Orbital Strike is something you do before you land on the planet. An orbital strike could accidentally hit you whilst on the planet. It'd also kinda be OP to NUKE every boss you meet in-game.

4. TenaciousTinkerer

TenaciousTinkerer Cosmic Narwhal

An orbital strike?... intersting
    although i would wind up nuking every planet i come across.:p
    but serously it would need to be this a very hard thing to get and it would wind up having a huge area of effect so that way its only best to use in orbit instead of on the ground so that way if there is any bosses you don't cheapen it up by calling one up.

5. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Orbital Bombardments would fall under "unusual technology"
    which is what the subdivision I lead in Origins is supposed to manufacture

Get yer orbital strikes here
    three fer a dolla
    get em while they hot

Deathbringer539 likes this.
  6. Bomb

Bomb Title Not Found

Let's hope the resources for such firepower are few and far between -- or they make it so that you cannot call one in when you are going toe-to-alien-toe with the Bosses.

7. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

You are right
    maybe only two fer a dolla

8. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

Screw that!
    -> Rawr I am a giant enemy crab!
    [​IMG]

-> Dinner is served?
    [​IMG]

TheEnderman, SuperKleb, Ner and 3 others like this.
  9. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

They are hot? RUN FOR COVER! THEY ARE GOING TO EXPLODE!

10. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Hot? Are attractive ladies painted on them?

11. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

explode with flavor

12. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Cheese Flavor? Awesome Flavor? Taco Flavor? or DEATH FLAVOR????

13. Kadmon

Kadmon Void-Bound Voyager

No no, good sir. When someone uses the parlance "hot" in reference to a weapon, they mean that it's loaded and prepped to fire.

So, yes. Run for cover because it's about to fire.

That said, I'd like an orbital bombardment ability. Let the player find a laser targeting gun while exploring a planet, which causes the tech-heads back in the satellite to go ape and ask you to bring it back for analysis. Do so, continue playing for a while, message from the techs tells you to get topside for a supply drop. In the drop is a NEW targeting gun, which has a 5s charge up time before all hell is unleashed on the target point (hard to use against a moving target, like one would expect a boss to be). Long cooldown before it can be fired again.

Hell, you could have it in multiple flavors. The "Glass 'em!" orbital laser, the "Nothing left but gravel" missile/surface artillery bombardment, the "Aerate the suckers!" fighter/VTOL machinegun support. The list could go on for quite a while, but I imagine I'm not the only one with good ideas for orbital support options :D

14. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

The only way I could see an Orbital Strike working would be like the Tau from Warhammer 40K where in the beginning before the match even starts an orbital cannon is fired weakening all the enemy troops. (effectively cutting their lives in half, Mind you this is all from the PC game.) So like on the PC game it would be something where it could weaken the aggro mobs, or if it were an Ice planet, it could turn it into a water one. Then again an orbital cannon is a rather Unconventional method to terraform.

Deathbringer539 and Starheaven07 like this.
  15. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

It could be something simple like the starfury. Only, like, less lame.

16. John.

John. Star Wrangler

NUKE IT FROM ORBIT!!!!!!

Depends how big the orbital strike was, if it is huge, it should take a long while to charge.

17. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

I'll take twenty.

On topic, sure orbital strikes would be awesome but you should only be able to use them once every 1 rl hour and in return it would be really powerful. On the topic of calling down help in form of health packs: I'm not totally against it, but it has the potential to be overpowered ( like you're fighting a boss and you're constantly "summoning" health packs) Maybe it should also cost money?

18. Khanromi

Khanromi Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know about call-in orbital strikes (possibly overpowered, and maybe not the best idea when you're still on the planet), but I definitely agree you should be able to call your ship in some fashion, either for a pick-up, or a supply drop-off. Although it would need to be balanced properly of course. Heck, there could be a whole thing of ship upgrades that you could research! Maybe an occasional, moderately expensive bombing run that isn't nearly as powerful as an orbital strike, but still helps immensely during tough fights or fort assaults. Maybe a planetary scan that gives you a general idea of the composition or landing site topography. Or even an AI/weapon upgrade that would allow the ship to defend an area for a time, auto-targeting enemies! All using your own ammo/materials of course.
    I like this idea!

19. kizucha

kizucha Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would love it when we get more of "that stuff" not only the orbital strike i would like a bombardement from (hope) one of our big space ships phew phew.:D The BIGGEST worry for me is that i dont blow up myself with the orb.cannon. xD

20. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Why it just so happens that we use those names for our different weapons
    or will
    they are pretty good do some more

but yes I can see how there could be different uberweaponry like
    orbital strike
    orbital bombardment
    orbital missile
    orbital laser
    orbital kitten cannon

Thread Status: