Orbital Colosseum

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Daitenshi, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After realizing we can capture and tame monsters and we'll have PvP Arenas. Why not have the ability to make an Orbital Colosseum where all archived and tamed monsters can be re-created to battled by the player at will. There can be separate tournaments and official cups, or the player can set up Custom tournies to challenge their friends with. This isn't intended as a "Pokemon" Style Colosseum, It's a Gladitorial Colosseum for the players. After Several people showing interest I'll include a "Pet" battle arena section... Edit: I added a "Pet Fighting Ring" Section
    The Colosseum is a place where PvP (Player vs. Player) and PvE (Player vs. Environment) can take place in separate arenas. It is the largest arena built over the Player's new Home world. How to build it and where doesn't really matter. We're here to discuss what goes on In the arena.​
    The Colosseum would be on an Artificial Mass of Metal or stone floating around the Home world like a moon. On the Colosseum's land there would be no PvP outside the Arena to allow for safe competition and prevent Ganking. Thanks Supagriff
    Also on Page 61 of the New Suggestions Up-Vote Page
    Shows How old this suggestion is. This one Shouldn't Move.
    [​IMG]
    PvE Arenas
    PvE Arena's are the areas in which players will be pitted against the House, the company that runs the Orbital Colosseum. The House will pit the player against wave after wave of enemies in trap filled Arenas. There's Several PvE Arenas:​
    Official Tournament Arenas
    There will be predetermined Tournaments for this specific PvE arena. The Tournaments will range in difficulty and will have to be completed in order to reach the most difficult Tournament. Since it's said that monster encounters will scale depending on how many players are present, they can be completed Solo or Co-op.​
    Gear and Items would be Normalized for these Tournaments. This allows for every player to have the SAME set of gear, same Tier, same Abilities. Players will be able to choose from Preset... Sets that fit the players preferred combat style without giving them an unfair advantage. For Clarification, there will be several Preset Gear sets to choose from. Not just one. It will range from Pistols, Melee, Medic, Rifles, and so on.​
    Co-op Tournaments will Scale difficulty based on how many players are competing.​
    Thanks Again Supagriff
    Example Tournaments (Just working titles)
    • Trainee Cup
    • Novice Cup
    • Soldier Cup
    • Adept Cup
    • Master Cup
    • Hero Cup
    • Inhuman Cup
    • Nightmare Cup
    Each Cup, once completed will give the players a ranking based on several factors such as: Damage Taken, Hits Received, Enemies Killed, Time Taken... and so on.​
    The Cup can be completed by any means. The Reward and level of completion depends on how through the player was; Ranging anywhere from (0) to (5) Stars.​
    Rewards will be procedurally generated based on score at the end of the Tournament. If the player does really horrible in the Trainee Cup, they could get a Wimpy stick... but if they do a perfect job it could be a reward that would normally be obtained at the Soldier Cup level.​
    Challenges
    Challenges are predetermined handicaps for the Tournaments Custom or Official. Before a Tournament Starts, the player can enable a any number of Challenges to be active during the game.​
    An Example is enabling the challenge (No Ranged Weapons) which will modify the final score for that tournament. Since that's a significant handicap, it would give a higher modifier then a challenge that lowers the players max health by 10%.
    More challenges are unlocked when more tournaments are beat. Also, once some challenges are complete it unlocks a progressively harder challenge of the same type For example:​
    Beating a (-10% Health) Challenge unlocks a (-20% Health) Challenge​
    Custom PvE Tournaments
    These tournaments are put together by the player. There are a set amount of Monsters available and the rest need to be tamed and transported back to the Spacestation before they can be cloned for the Arenas. These Tournaments can be shared and used online for multiplayer contests and fun!​
    These open an entirely new world for contests, and even official Developer Tournaments and Challenges. The Player can Create the Arena or leave it up to the random generator. Player can place bets or preset Rewards.​
    Premade Challenges and Custom Challenges can be made for the players to further limit the contestants with.​
    [​IMG]
    PvP Arenas
    Everyone loves slaughtering their friends! These arena's are here for preset PvP Tournament Slaughter! Official tournament arenas for official contests and balanced play will be available here.
    Also, Custom Arenas and play rules will be available, such as restricting weapons, levels, gear, everything.
    [​IMG]
    Pet Fighting Rings

Now everyone, this is the part of the suggestion that entirely depends on what the Developers do with it. I personally have little idea how to approach this, but for the sake of all that is awesome I will elaborate best I can!
    How it could be handled (I will create ideas based on each Method)
    1. The player could control the pet/creature instead of it being AI controlled/based on statistics and/or probability. We’ll call this (Method 1)
    2. As mentioned in Method 1, it could be AI controlled and based off of the intelligence or behavior of the Creature. This is (Method 2)
    3. Also mentioned in Method 1, the beasts could be controlled purely by Calculating a Probability based on the individual monster’s stat. This is (Method 3)
    4. Method 4 is a combination of Methods 2 and 3. It’s a calculation of “What monster is likely to win” and then an actual match between them.
    Official Fighting Rings
    IF and only IF you can level/upgrade your pets will this be possible. This is essentially a series of Fights like the Player ones, but pending on the Method used, automatic (methods 2,3,4) or Player… uh played.
    I’m not going to make up Fight names. If you guys want to you can but I’m just going to explain how I think each method would work with Preset Fights.
    Overall, the Fights will be premade and set in difficulty level. For example the first “Easy” set of fights is meant to be easy and simple for your pet to complete. The difficulty grows as Fight Sets are completed.
    Method 1:
    If players can control the pet, leveling/gearing/making them epic-and-awesome won’t matter as much. Assuming the Pet only has a few abilities like a left and right mouse attack, and base movement properties. I personally believe this is the least likely to occur UNLESS this is brought in as an expansion pack of sorts. Programming an entirely new set of controls is an incredible amount of work to put into this “bonus” feature. If this gets loads of support it would be more likely.
    Methods 2/3/4:
    All of these methods depend on a pet leveling/gearing/making them epic-and-awesome system far more then Method 1. These would be purely visual and would be far easier to introduce. All of the fights would have to be 1v1 for balance or more accurately the “I” missing from “AI”. To be clearer, I’m pretty sure the monsters would just beat the crud out of each other until one or the other dies. So the only logical way to get this to work is have probability calculations that predetermine the fight from the background. Perhaps a player can get an item that lets him/her view these calculations before the fight. Then, just for S’s and G’s we watch them mercilessly slaughter each other anyway; knowing fate has already determined the victor, and tomorrow’s lunch.
    Custom Fights
    For Funsies, we’ll add the same depth of custom Fights that are in the Player PvE matches. Add all the challenges/custom conditions and huzzah! You won’t be able to bet any Pixels on these matches unless it’s between players.

[​IMG]

Betting for Pixles

Speaking of betting on Fights, Alpha_Squad had a brilliant idea
    This is entirely optional and just for fun, I assume it could also be done with PvE or PvP matches.

[​IMG]
    Suggestions
    for consideration
    Ideas? Discuss. Keep it clean! GO!
    [​IMG]

madkillller, Azurel, ggh325 and 43 others like this.
  2. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Azurel, Zoidberg and Acrylic like this.
  3. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh my god, this would open a whole new horizon for multiplayer mode!

Instead of just playing and battling with your friends, you could even personally fight each others monsters!
    We don't know what possibilities Starbound will bring us, but using those captured creatures, you could have a lot of fun! :up:

4. Knightwyvern

Knightwyvern Void-Bound Voyager

I'd really enjoy a pokemon style arena system, it would be quite entertaining :) Though who knows, maybe you can do this anywhere in the gameworld, as it is.

5. Daitenshi

Organized Tournaments could be held anywhere on any world? I'm talking Floating arena in space!

6. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

this would be so awesome! especially if you could have tournaments online <3

7. Madmarlon

The competitions section would be overflowing! :D

8. Daitenshi

Exactly! There are sooo many possibilities!

9. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

I just think the game battle system will need to be somewhat deep so this can become really interesting... also, some sort of different fighting level tournament, as they did sometimes in Official Pokemon Tournaments would be good, or else we will have what i call the "Final-Tier Dragon Quest Monster Syndrome": in the end, it's not about your strategy but about maxing all Attributes and getting skills of a very narrow best list to use in combat :/

...and please, arenas with enviromental traps! And sure, to be able to watch such battles and to bet in contestants! Also, long-range bets! "I bet 10000 that the Samurai Penguin will win the tournament!"

Finally, the Arenas would need to be very well protected, as i can see a pissed off contestant getting his planet blaster sattelites and...

10. Madmarlon

BOOOM! Hahahaha, that would be funny!

But seriously, the arenas should be protected!
    To make it more role-play like (after all starbound is an RPG game, too) you could "hire" NPC guards, or let some players guard the arena!
    Those battles could be turned into some big buisiness. The more people come and watch the fights, the more famous your arena gets, the more money you earn and the more dangerous people want to mess around with your arena!
    If you ever want some protection, you could always hire us space-pirates! Because if you don't, you'll have a problem! Muahahaharr!

11. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

Let's not forget people trying to cheat in the bets, manipulating the odds, and so participating in the competitions become a high-risk job!

I guess some Competitions will start as usual and in the end, it will be an all-out battle between guards, contestants, space pirates, the Galatic Police... as a man who likes FUN, i shake your hand, sir. :up:

ggh325 and Madmarlon like this.
  12. Daitenshi

It's like when people's favorite teams lose in sports games!

13. Madmarlon

Ahahaha, that metaphor is perfect! Nothing is more funnier than watching a bunch of idiots people enter rage-mode because their team lost! :laugh:

Well, unlike in the real world, we have mods! ;)

TeoTheDriller likes this.
  14. Owl24

Owl24 Big Damn Hero

Why can't I like this 5 million times? OT: Maybe make a "Black Market" that sells pills and DNA packs, using these boost your pets performance, but makes them very weak (or dead) after so or so minutes .

15. FrEnZy210

FrEnZy210 Starship Captain

You, my good sir, shall be replacing some of the rabble in my cabinet! We'll talk after the play tonight. I'm seeing Hamlet at the Ford. I hear it is a very fine show. (No, seriously, though. That's a good idea. Also, I'm a bad person for joking about his assassination.)

16. Daitenshi

:rofl: I'm Surprised this is still getting attention. I did chuckle at the joke though.

FrEnZy210 likes this.
  17. FrEnZy210

Good ideas last longer out in the forums. Bad ones get eaten alive and ignored until they slip into oblivion. Btw, I think that makes you a bad person too. :p

18. Owl24

Owl24 Big Damn Hero

That made me sad about my monster monster suggestion.

19. FrEnZy210

Don't be upset. I'm not good at making popular threads. I sat and brainstormed for a long time and when I finally got a great idea I posted it and backed out of the posting screen to find that a better and more refined version of my idea had already stormed the front page of Mechanics. Oh well, I'm here for ya. :D

20. Owl24

Owl24 Big Damn Hero

Thanks.
    :)