Story One long journey of The Green Lance

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Warget, Jul 21, 2015.

?

Wanna hear more about The Green Lance's crew?

1. Yeah!

95.0%
  2. Nope!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No violence, language, etc and you got my vote!

10.0%
  4. Why did you do this to poor Ol' Crookbrand? T^T

15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. camerox

camerox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Amount of friends that play starbound = 0
    :(

The Squid and Warget like this.
  2. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Stuff like that happens pretty often. >_>

3. camerox

Yeah

Warget likes this.
  4. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Im sorry for your situation.

5. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

TOO often... we need to start Starbound revolutions, wouldn't you say?

The Squid, Warget and Captain Karo like this.
  6. Captain Karo

Captain Karo Cosmic Narwhal

I've been lurking here. :p

7. camerox

:eek:
    It's ok I just play by my self all alone :)

Unfortunately Starbound is not for everyone

8. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I have four friends who own Starbound.
    I have zero friends who actually play Starbound. :(

camerox likes this.
  9. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

That's really sad =(

The Squid likes this.
  10. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

FINALY
    The 7-th story is here! Thanks to Miss Alkane for her work. Even though she had a hard time, she redacted the text.
    Now, let's party!
    (Then I have to go writing the 8-th one, wich is already halfway done)

11. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Bad news:
    Alkane has serious problems proofreading my 8-th story... We decided to look for somebody else, to help her proofreading it... (She even insists to find somebody INSTEAD her.)
    We need help. If you like the story, and you want it to be better at grammar (and you are good at it), please, tell us about it.
    If you know somebody on this forum, who could help us, leave a message for me.
    Thanks for reading.

Alkanthe likes this.
  12. camerox

I would help if I was good at gramma or spelling but then again it is the only language I know; //excluding computer languages

13. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Right now we got a message from Zebe (he wants to help)... But if there is somebody, who wants to claim being the best at grammar - we're still here >_>

14. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

The Story goes on.

8,1. The old friends. (+18-21)
    The space train was heading toward the Bazaar planet, followed by Taras's ship "Osavul". Before rising into the skies, the Cossak had had the Novakid install a basic radio transmitter into their ship AI, the Green Box, so he could keep in contact with them while they were traveling in space.
    - So, Bazaar, yes? What they sell there? - Taras asked through the transmitter.
    - All sort of things: food, tech, ship details, weapons, clothes, furniture... - Solid started listing the goods he'd seen at the trading posts.
    - Okay, I understood, - the Cossak's voice was a bit broken up due to the low quality of the transmitters.
    - Also, Nancy's uncle has a bar in there, called "Shining Outlaw"...
    - I not sure if I want to go there, I think I just lay low and wait some time, looking around to know about changes of world.
    - Whatever you'd like. Our plan is to sell our drinks and have a little rest: those adventures took a lot of charge to go through. - The driver pulled one of the levers, turning on the cooling system to cool the engines to a safer level.
    - Tak. Cassa's idea to kill you was really stupid, don't you think? - Taras chuckled, making the transmitter buzz loudly.
    - Yea! Ol' Crookbrand smote his brand like a durasteel bar! - the yellow Novakid struck his own hand with a fist as if they were a hammer and an anvil.
    - Aha, 'nd this'all happen'd while I'was stunn'd! - Gazzi's malachite figure appeared behind the driving chair, - How long've we to stay'ere, b'fore we'land?
    - Not much. Half an hour or something like that, - Solid turned off the cooling system.
    - Awesom'! I'll tell the'guys 'bout it. - The Novakid girl nodded.
    - Hey! Gazzi! - Taras said.
    - Huh? What's... - she started to ask, but got interrupted.
    - Just to say "Hello", - the human chuckled.
    - Oh, hello'then, - the girl giggled, then left; she had some other folk to talk with.
    She entered the second wagon. There was nobody on the first floor, so she went up to the second one and stumbled upon Oila.
    - Hey'ya! - Gazzi waved her hand slightly.
    - Oh, good day, Gazzoline. What has brought you here today? - The indigo Novakid woman was standing by the oven, cooking. - Are you feeling hungry after a hard day's work?
    - Nope. Just wanna tell'ya: half'of an'hour, 'nd we're at'the Bazaar! - the mechanic-girl shrugged, - To'be honest, I'd more'like to get'some jack.
    - Thank you for telling me, brighty. So, as you're going to the bar anyway, would you like to help me?
    - Sure, why not? - Gazzi nodded.
    - Deliver this pot of automatos to the forge, please. Cinder won't come out of there, helping Chrome with the guns he's crafting to sell, so I have nobody to bring them their dinner. - Oila gave Gazzi a big steaming cooking pot of braised automatos.
    - Will'do, auntie! - said the malachite girl, walking to the exit.
    - Ah, I told you not to call me your aunt, sunlight... - said Oila, but the malachite girl had already left the room.
    Upon entering the third wagon, Gazzi saw both Ol' Crookbrand and Cinder standing at the gunsmithing table. Cinder was crafting the revolver, while Chrome was observing, sometimes giving bits of advice to his apprentice. It didn't look like Chrome was teaching the boy; it looked more like Cinder was trying to copy one of the blacksmith's older works, with Ol' Crookbrand just looking at it as a colleague, not a mentor.
    The malachite girl silently approached them and whispered:
    - "Who wants'some?"
    Not a single look was given to her; both craftsmen kept their attention on their work. Gazzi decided to put the pot of automatos onto a nearby box and silently left the wagon. The fourth wagon was empty as always, the flowers on the second floor being the only living things here, so the mechanic girl just went forward, to the last wagon. She went straight to the bar, her heavy work boots banging on the wooden floor as she walked.
    When Gazzi entered the bar, she saw the usual situation: Fiddle was sitting at the counter, tuning up his fiddle; Nickel was lazily tapping the piano keys, learning a new combination; and Nancy was standing behind the counter, wiping a crystal-clear glass.
    - Good day, Gazzi! - the barmaid waved to her.
    - Hi! - the malachite mechanic approached the counter and took a seat nearby the fiddler.
    - So... - Fiddle turned to the newly arrived girl, - How'lon'?
    - Half'an hour, - Gazzi said, then turned to Nancy, - Gimme 'nother'one.
    - Tell'me 'gain, who tha heck's yer uncle 'vrerybody's talkin'bout? - the cyan fiddler stopped tuning and asked Nancy, who had just passed a bottle to the mechanic girl.
    - A young coronaless guy, with a circle in the middle of his face... - the barmaid answered, annoyed.
    - Wait, isn't he yer cousin'? That youn' fella, with'tha good aimin'n'solid hand? - Fiddle scratched his brand with confusion, remembering the game of darts he lost to somebody resembling Nancy's description of her uncle.
    - No! You, loudhead, didn't hear me correctly when I said, "I know he looks more like a cousin, but he's my uncle." Now do you remember, dummy? - the pink woman crossed her hands over her chest.
    - But'ye was so'sticky to 'im! It was like ye wanted'to take 'im for'tha sparky'ride in yer... - before the fiddler finished the sentence, a gloved fist punched him in the brand. - OW!!! What's yer problem, Gazzoline?!
    - I don't wanna'hear the vulgar slag ya throwin'! - the malachite girl bumped her fists together.
    - But I'm n't lyin'! She... - this time the cyan Novakid got slapped upside the head by the barmaid.
    - Stop buzzing already! I answered your question and I'd like some peace and quiet, you moron, - Nancy rebuked.
    - Ah, maim! Fine! - the fiddler stopped talking and returned to his tuning.
    The rest of the way to the Bazaar planet was spent in complete silence. Even Gazzi managed to drink only half of a jack bottle, instead of three. But finally they heard the tapping in the pipes and looked out the windows to see a big brown sphere, covered with barren land and yellow water in small oceans all over it. It was the dusty, almost deserty planet which was named Sarah by the Avians, who were the first race to colonize it. Since Sarah's natural resources had been rapidly absorbed by the colonizing race, it was now only a big trading outpost, popular with all sorts of people, including fair traders, farmers, craftsmen, and even bounty and head hunters. If one was looking to start a business, this planet was definitely the best place in the nearest constellations for it. The Bazaar planet had gotten its name for its giant market nearby the central spaceport. This tradeground had absolutely anything you could want to buy, including illegal goods like slaves, banned weapons and powerful drugs. This came out of the government policy: they broke away from the Kluex-worshiping part of their society, but instead of fighting against them, they decided to call their planet the "free land", which had only two rules: you're welcome unless your deeds disturb the traders, and anybody who wants help must find it on their own. But there was a good way to stay safe - just stay close to the trading spots and nobody would touch you, since the traders had many "levers" to control the people on the planet.
    The Green Lance had some privileges, since the train was considered a cargo ship and a trading spot at the same time, thanks to the side-doors to the forge and the bar wagons. The crew also had a special status in the local politics, which they got for supplying the planet's inns with their exotic drinks. Of course there were much more powerful dealers, but at least our crew didn't have to go searching for a place to land - they had their own special platform at the market, which was the roof of Nancy's uncle's bar and some nearby houses, which were just renting the territory the Novakid had bought for themselves before the bar had even been built.
    After five minutes of careful landing, everybody met up in the first wagon to discuss their plans.
    - Okay, so who's going to do what? I, personally, will just sit here playing my guitar. My work is done for the week, - Solid shrugged.
    - I'll check out th' bar 'nderneath, - Ol' Crookbrand said.
    - I'll go with him, of course! - Cinder exclaimed.
    - And I will go with you both, - Oila added, then explained, - I really want to see Dane. Maybe he has even grown some corona... His baldness was quite disturbing.
    - I'm staying here, in my bar, - Nancy slightly waved her hand.
    - Me'nd Nick're stayin' with'er! - Fiddle added, but the yellow-green pianist shook his head and made a step toward the party who was going to the bar, so the fiddler corrcted himself, - Welp'then me'only.
    - I'll look'for Taras. I really wanna see 'im b'fore he disappears as he promis'd, - Gazzi shrugged.
    Suddenly Sniffsnout ran out of the driving room and under Nancy's skirt, making her gasp loudly. Everybody laughed a bit and went away, following their plans.
    The bar was located in a house as big as the forge wagon above, with the exception being it's height: only two floors, instead of three. The entrance was stylized in a mix of Novakid modern and Human western styles, a big wooden "Shining Outlaw" sign above the double wooden doors, which were guarded by two strange-looking guys. The group of four Novakid entered the building from the roof so that they didn't had to deal with the guards, although they knew everybody working here pretty well and had special permission to enter the bar at any time. The second floor was just a balcony above the bar counter, but it was considered a place for special guests, and was tended by a special waitress. In furniture, this specialty was reflected with much higher quality: beautiful carvings covered every single table and chair, and there were some very cozy-looking couches near the walls. The first floor was a place for the common customers, where the tables weren't covered with carvings and there were ordinary chairs instead of couches. Since the Green Lance had arrived today, there were a lot of customers, but the second floor was almost empty, with only a couple of visitors sitting on opposite sides of the balcony.
    Suddenly a nice-looking Novakid waitress approached our crew members. She was a light-grey colored young woman with a flat chest and a pretty lean body build. Her clothes resembled Nancy's corset and skirt, but had less lace and was colored in yellow, with black hems and laces. Her brand was a simple cross - nothing unusual - and her corona was just an ordinary length for a woman, with no special styling.
    - Good day. How may I serve you? - the waitress made a little curtsy, welcoming the newcomers from above.
    - Good day, shiny, we are here to meet up with Dane, - Oila said, nodding approvingly.
    - The owner is busy right now, because of his old friends' landing, so you'll have to wait a bit... - the waitress girl faltered. She apparently didn't recognize who she was talking to.
    - Oh, brighty, we're the'friends he's waitin' for, - Ol' Crookbrand chuckled.
    - I... I'll ask Dane about you. Please, take a seat, - the light-grey girl nodded and ran off to the first floor.
    The three Novakid sat down at the nearest table, which was close to the balcony railing, and Ol' Crookbrand decided to stand nearby, looking down at the common section of the bar.
    - Who is this girl? I don' remember her... - Cinder asked with confusion.
    - Me neither, but I assume Dane hired her to help him with the clients. - Oila crossed her legs under her dress.
    After a minute of waiting, Chrome sighed and asked:
    - Maybe I'should go down'ere 'nd ask how lon' we need'to wait?
    - Im goin' with you! Dane might've forgot you, since he only visited your forge twiсe, - Cinder jumped off the chair.
    - 'Kay'then, - the blacksmith nodded.
    The two Novakid went down to the first floor and looked around. There were a lot of different customers from different races: an avian headhunter with a collection of beaks as a necklace, a bulky glitch with a massive lower jaw and a giant iron bolt resting in his mouth like a cigar, an apex space pilot dressed like he was on parade, and many other interesting people. But there was not a single trace of the cross-branded waitress and bald circle-branded owner of the bar. Chrome shook his head with disappointment and went to the bar-counter, followed by Cinder.
    Suddenly the apex pilot jumped up and yelled:
    - Hey! Zhis one haz robbed me yezterday! - he was pointing at Ol' Crookbrand, who just ignored his words.
    Seenig this, the Apex marched up to the blacksmith and yelled at the three-meter-tall red Novakid:
    - Where iz my valuablez, red giant?! - He tried to shove the giant blacksmith.
    - Huh? What're ya talkin'bout? - Chrome, confused, finally decided to turn his head toward the Apex.
    - If you vill not give my stuff back to me, I vill fight you! - the pilot clenched his left fist and punched Chrome in the left shoulder.
    - Seriously? - the red-almost-giant hemmed and gave the insolent apex a twack in the face with his massive middle finger.
    - AHHHHHH! - the Apex theatrically jumped back and fell on the floor, rubbing his face, - Help me! He's fighting!
    At this moment the Avian headhunter grabbed a chair and threw it at the blacksmith. Suddenly everybody in the bar jumped up from their seats and started fighting, like the chair being thrown had been a signal. Ol' Crookbrand looked at it in complete confusion, but suddenly the bulky glitch approached him and spit his bolt to the floor, then grabbed the blacksmith by the vest and headbutted him. This was the last straw! Chrome's brand started heating and his hands reflexively grabbed the glitch's hands and clenched them, then started slowly spreading, making his metal hands creak. But the robot wasn't going to be so easily surprised. He headbutted the blacksmith again, then kicked him in the stomach and freed his hands, suddenly relaxing them. Both started assaulting each other with a barrage of punches, clanking and creaking like the engine of an old car. After a few punches, Chrome suddenly grabbed his opponent's neck and lifted the bulky metal body, but only to land his back on the floor, breaking some of the wooden planks of the flooring. Then the blacksmith let his enemy go and stomped him with the massive boot he was wearing, crushing something inside the solid robot's body. The bulky glitch cracked a bit, then blacked out.
    But this wasn't the end. The avian headhunter suddenly appeared behind the blacksmith and broke a chair against his back, screaming:
    - A fight?! Count me in!
    - It would'go better, if'ya ran'away, - the giant Novakid grabbed the headhunter and crushed his face into the counter, making a big fissure in it.
    A sudden gunshot attracted everybody's attention. A tall, bald, pink-colored Novakid was standing at the entrance, holding a smoking shotgun in his hands. It was Dane. He yelled:
    - Why can't I calmly prepare for my niece's sudden visit without you ragamuffins starting to shamble my bar up? - he was even younger than Fiddle, but his voice was full of strength and confidence. - Now, who started this?!
    Everybody pointed their hands in Ol' Crookbrand's direction.
    - Who are you, red giant, and what's your excuse for disturbing this place's peace? - Dane pointed his gun at Chrome, not recognizing the blacksmith.
    - Kid, believe'me, ya're familiar with'me... - the red-almost-giant stood up in his full height and spread his hands, - I'm the blacksmith.
    - Dane, don't shoot, it's Crookbrand! - Oila ran down the stairs and approached the pink bar owner.
    - Then tell me, why have you started this hurly-burly? - Dane put his shotgun down and slowly approached the red Novakid, extending his hand for a handshake.
    - 'Tis's not his fault! 'Tis vermin's yer target, - a light purple Novakid with an Ω-shaped brand threw the apex pilot back inside the bar - apparently he had tried to escape in the middle of the fight.
    - Thanks, Cetus! - Dane picked his shotgun back up and aimed it at the monkeyman's face, then asked, - Why shouldn't I kill you?
    - You wouldn't dare! Im zhe Miniknog pilot! - snarled the apex, then added, - My work iz done anyway...
    - What do you mean, hairy scum? - the bald Novakid hit the monkey man in the stomach with the butt of his weapon, but instead of answering the Apex coughed and started laughing.
    - Wait! Where's Cinder?! - Ol' Crookbrand looked around, quickly realizing what job the Apex had been talking about.
    The monkey man started laughing louder.
    - You dranged piece of slag! - Oila grabbed the pilot's neck with unbelievable strength. Her brand was almost on fire. - Where's my son, you jughead, asslicking, son of a tailless monkey bitch on a star-dranged whore-throne? Tell me or I'll rip your filthy dick off of the rest of your heinous monkey nuts!
    To prove she is not joking, Oila stomped the apex pilot's crotch, making him squeal with pain. Fortunately, Nickel showed up and took the outraged woman aside before she could start implementing her words in reality.
    - So, will you talk now? - Dane hemmed and forcefully turned the pilot's head to face him, - Or do I have to leave you to her...
    - Yez, I vill speak! - the apex pilot whimpered.
    - I'm listening...

8,2. The old friends. (+18-20)
    Cinder was sitting in a small metal cage inside the cargo bay. The boy didn't know what ship it was, but he assumed it was a pirate one, since its crew was kidnapping people. When the fight had started, a pair of familiar Floran hands had grabbed him from behind and zapped his brand with a taser, making him fall unconscious. Although the boy could still think, he couldn't even see around him. So the young Novakid didn't know where this ship was located or even its size.
    Cinder was ready to start crying, but suddenly remembered that his friends were still out there. Most importantly, his mom would never let him be kidnapped! She would break into this ship at any moment and free him. Most people thought she was an ordinary Novakid woman; only a few knew the true power of Oila's wrath. So Cinder gathered all his hopes and started waiting.
    Suddenly, the ship twitched, and then started rising up... it was blasting off! But his mom still hadn't come, and how would she find him if he was carried away like this? This thought terrified the young Novakid, making his brand vibrate.
    As the ship's gravity changed, Cinder's hope left him. The orange Novakid covered his vibrating brand with the palms of his hands and started crying, making a loud noise: a combination of peeping, whistling and screeching. It was the cry a young Novakid makes when he needs his parent's attention.
    At that moment, an angry Floran lady jumped down from a pile of boxes at the other end of the cargo bay and marched up to the cage Cinder was in. This lady was Fawuna, the bandit-assistant of Cassa Junior. She crouched in front of the cage and yelled, trying to outshout the noise the boy was making:
    - SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHUT'UP! FAWUNA WANTSSSSSSSSS'SSSSSSSSSLEEP! SSSSSSTUPID SSSSTAR SSSSSPROUTLING! - She started banging the cage in rage. After realizing that that didn't help, she just started yelling. - GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARH!!!!!! RWAAAAARG!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

- You what?! - Dane clenched his fists and punched the table the Apex pilot was sitting at.
    - Let me go! I'll rip out his shitty eyes! - Oila was hysterical.
    Ol' Crookbrand struggled to hold her back. - Calm'down, sunshine! We'll find'im... - He wrapped his left arm around Oila's waist and caressed her corona with the right one, - Just wait'a'bit.
    - You kidnapped the boy for your stupid laboratory? Where did the shuttle go?! Talk, you poor bastard! - The bar owner kicked the monkey-man in the crotch.
    The interrogation was in public, to demonstrate what happens to those who go against the traders’ rules. Every trader has permission to do this on Sarah. Some people were disgusted by this method, some were entertained by watching it, but everybody agreed that it was the best way to scare the bandits away.
    - Agh! Zhey're on zhe azteroidfield! It'z near zhe third airlezz planet in zhis zyztem! - The Apex's face was covered with bruises, and a small trail of blood dripped from his nose.
    - How big and how well guarded is this place? - Dane took out a durasteel knife and raised it above the Apex's hand.
    - AAAAAAARG! I don't know! I ZWEAR! I never entered it!
    - LIES! - The bar owner stabbed the table near the pilot's hand.
    - NO! PLEAZE! I ZWEAR I DON'T KNOW!!! I can tell you who'z zhe bozz, but I've never entered! - cried the Apex.
    - Then SPEAK! - Dane raised his knife once more...

Fawuna was ready to cut off her own hand just to silence Cinder! She tried to scare him, outscream him and even ask him nicely. The last resort she knew was begging for it, but she'd never kneel before this noisy kid! Maybe she should try trading?
    - What ssssshall Fawuna do for you to make you ssssssstop?! - She wasn’t able to scream anymore, so she just said it very loudly.
    - I waaaaaant tooooo gooooo hooooome! - Cinder whined, keeping his cry at the same volume. He realized that his cry for help was annoying the floran woman, so why not repay her for kidnapping him?
    - Can't do! Fawuna give up! Fawuna will call Jebby to watch over you! - The floran lady marched away and disappeared behind a sliding door.
    It looked like she was talking about the two-and-a-half-meter-tall Apex who had been knocked out by Ol' Crookbrand back on the forest planet. What was his name?
    - Go steal mei a kid, Jebishe! Go wotch over thot kid, Jebishe! Jebishe thees, Jebishe that... - A familiar, wheezy, snarling voice came out of the doors as the tall, hunchbacked apex entered the cargo bay. His slender body was covered by a black bodysuit with a small, light-colored durasteel chestplate over it. His massive forearms and shins were protected with matching durasteel bracelets and greaves. The giant ape approached the cage Cinder was in and roared: - Whoi does nobody listen to moi opinion?
    - Because you're a bandit? – Cinder asked, having stopped crying.
    - Oi! Of'course oim a bandit! Oi never had a chance to bei a hero! - Jebishe clenched his massive fists and shook them, growling. Then he sighed and sat down beside the cage, adding, - Moi whole loife is a jouke...
    - Why is it? - Cinder crept closer to the giant monkey-man, feeling that he would not harm the young Novakid.
    - Whoi do yo ask? Oim supposed to transport yo, not speak with yo, - Jebishe said.
    - If ya tell me, I will not cry or annoy you like I did with Fawuna... - the kid chuckled despite his situation.
    - Hoh... Okai. Oim not plannin to conflict with yo in any wai, so let mei tell yo, - The monkey-man took a deep breath and began the story.
    Jebishe was an ordinary Apex in an ordinary Apex family. He had a mother, a father, and a younger sister. One day, after he had to take away his sister's toys, she said she would go to a Miniknog officer and tell them that her brother was a rebel, even though he wasn’t. Jebishe laughed, but a couple days after that, two Miniknog enforcers broke into their house and kidnapped him while everybody was asleep. His sister had indeed told the Miniknog what she said she would, thus ruining his life completely. The monkey-man was sent to the experimental stim laboratory, where a group of scientists injected him with some kind of serum which made his body grow taller and his muscles become stronger. The giant ape finally broke out of the laboratory and became an outlaw. After some time he met up with Fawuna and Cassa the Junior. They accepted him as their crew member and were the first who weren’t rude to the mutant Apex, so he decided to call them his friends. After some raids Cassa revealed his killer-maniac side, but Jebishe was too afraid to leave. He kept following the crazed red Novakid until the day they met the Green Lance's crew. The monkey-man and Fawuna had decided to leave their former leader to die alone, so they flew away as soon as possible.
    The next day, Jebishe was contacted by one of the scientists who had made him who he was now. The scientist's name was Grigory Batlov. He said he had some connections in the Miniknog which could help the mutant ape to be reunited with his family in peace and quiet and maybe be purged of his mutation, but he needed something in return – Jebishe's loyalty.
    The mutant ape was so eager to meet his family again, he accepted the deal without thinking. Fawuna, who had nowhere else to go, followed. This kidnapping was their first job, but Jebishe didn't care about the pain he caused. He just wanted to see his parents again; to look into his sister's eyes and ask, "Why?"...
    - That's a heck of a sad story... - Cinder leaned against the cage's metal bars.
    - Roight. So now yo know whoi are yo here and yo know moi loife. So, keep yor promise and be soilent. - Jebishe sighed and crossed his massive hands over his chestplate.
    And Cinder did. He sat down, looking into the mutant's face...

- Everyone's here? Good! Now listen to my plan. - Dane had gathered the Green Lance's crew in the bar to figure out how to save Cinder from the hands of the crazed apex, - Nancy, you're staying at the bar, because of your experience in barkeeping. Nickel, you'll help her. Oila, it's too risky to let you go with us. You could accidentally kill somebody while raging, so you're staying here to nurse some bottles of jack...
    - Hey, why are you commanding here? You're the youngest one here! - the indigo Novakid woman shouted, putting her arms akimbo.
    - Because I live in this heckhole, not in the traveling wandering spacetrain. I have to deal with felons every day, unlike you! So listen up and do what I say! - snarled the pink Novakid man. He continued, - Everybody else, grab your weapons and prepare for a gunfight. We'll show'em that none shall slag around the Green Lance!
    - I’m gunna'kill that chunkhead professor with'my bare'hands! - Ol' Crookbrand roared, clenching his fists.
    - I’m followin' Dane's plan! - Fiddle took out his revolver and spun the ammo drum.
    - We can't waste any more time, let's move! - Solid ran up the stairs, and the others followed.
    Oila tried to go too, but a pair of massive yellow-green hands held her back. She looked into Nickel's face. He shook his head and gently led the sorrowing mother to the bar counter, where Nancy had already prepared a big dark-brown bottle.
    - I hope they will be all right... - The indigo woman sat at the counter and took a sip from the bottle, not even pouring it into a glass...

It took a half of an hour for the ship Cinder was in to reach the asteroid field where the laboratory was located. While waiting, Cinder was surprised by what he found out about his gaoler's character: Jebishe was ashamed of the work he had to do. The only thing keeping the mutated monkey-man from disobeying was the chance to see the family he lost again. The boy was also surprised by how intelligent the giant ape was - Jebishe was doing math to pass the time. He solved the equations without even writing them, just calculating them within his speech. At some point, this started becoming annoying to the young Novakid and he asked the mutant to stop... and Jebishe did, without even complaining. It seems like this grunt wasn't as evil as he looked. But sadly, Jebishe couldn't free the Novakid boy, although the monkey man swore that he suffered more because of it than it seemed.
    So he took the cage onto a gravity cart and drove it out of the cargo ship into the lab's docking bay, leaving Fawuna to guard the ship. It was a small hangar, capable of holding only one small shuttle at a time. The floor and the walls were covered with smooth white paneling, with thick metal supports near the ceiling. At the far end of the hangar was big circular door with a flask emblem instead of a lock.
    The door opened and a small, frail old Apex in a wheelchair entered the hangar, escorted by two large guards fully covered with white armor and armed with assault rifles and electric tonfas on their belts. When the three approached Jebishe, the giant mutant bowed a bit, but it was obvious that he did it more out of necessity than his own desire.
    - Moi work is doune, Doc... - the big mutant began, but he was interrupted by the hysterical whine of the small Apex in the wheelchair.
    - Stupid grunt! You did it wrong! I needed the kid of a biological lifeform, not a starchild! What do you expect me to do with him?! - The tiny monkey-man waved his hands angrily.
    - Oi! Yo didn't sai a single word about tho species! Olso, it wosn't me who chose tho kid to capture. Yor dolt poilot storted tho foight and gaive tho saignal to moi companion. He eiven got coptured ofter thees... - Jebishe started to justify himself.
    - I don't care! The job isn't done! You must go another round! - screeched the little apex, almost falling from his wheelchair.
    - Doc, give os some toime! There's a panic on Sarah now. If oi show moiself there, oi will be killed on soight! - exclaimed the mutated Apex.
    - What? Fine! I give you three days to rest here, before you go again. But if you fail me... - Doc shook his tiny fist and the two guards immediately raised their weapons, aiming at the mutant's head.
    - Oi know... What about tho kid? Yo don't need him, roight? - Jebishe raised one eyebrow, acting as if the guards weren’t even there.
    - Do whatever you want with him! I don't want to see any starchildren here! - the small Apex yelled. He turned his wheelchair around, rolling it back to the exit.
    The guards followed their leader, leaving the mutant and the Novakid boy alone. Jebishe sighed and hunched his back even more. It looked like he was depressed.
    - I don't really know if I should be happy right now... - Cinder ruffled up his own corona.
    - Yo better be... at least he didn't kill mei and yo. - The giant Apex turned on the hovering platform and drove it back inside the shuttle.
    - Maybe you can let me out now? There is no place for me to run anyway... - The young Novakid shrugged.
    - Good oidea, but let's get yo into tho ship. Oi have a plan and yo're tho key for it...

Dane and Solid were in the middle of a discussion.
    - How long will it take us to get to the asteroid field? - the pink bald Novakid asked.
    - After Gazzi accidentally downgraded the main engine and the thrusters... the Green Box says it will be three days! - Solid gave a piece of paper to the bar owner.
    - Hexes! - Dane punched one of the pipes on the wall. - Is there any way we can get there sooner? Hyperthrusters, overburning fuel, FTL drive...
    - Nope. We've never had any of those, - Solid shrugged.
    - Oh come on!

8,3. The old friends. (+18-20(
    - So you want me to get inside the lab through the ventilation system, so I can look for evidence whether or not the Doctor is able to contact your family. And I’m the only candidate just because I’m small and have nothing biological in my nature? - Cinder asked the giant ape, who had finally let him out of the cage.
    - Oi. Olso, yor work is to foind out, whot the heck is he doing insoide his lobborotory. Oi will diestract his guords, so yo will be unseen for some toime. Use it woisely, boyyo. - Jebishe nodded.
    - First off, my name is Cinder. Secondly, we have a problem, since I can't read. And thirdly...
    - Yo whot mate?! - The giant mutant raised his eyebrows so high it looked like they could fall off.
    - Well... I just didn't want to learn. It was boring. - The Novakid boy shrugged.
    - Guuuh... - Jebishe covered his face with his giant right hand. - Okai, a niew plan. Oi will not distract tho guords, and yo will put on thees... -
    The giant ape dug into a small bag hanging on the back of his belt which the boy hadn't noticed at first. He took out a small headset, put it on Cinder’s head, and fastened it with a small wire so it wouldn't fall off. The headset had an earpiece, a microphone, and a small, boxy camera that went above the ear.
    - Oi will goide yo from here, and Fawuna will distract the guords. Okai?
    - Yes, - Cinder simply nodded.
    - Good... Yo can show yorself Faw, Oi know yo're over there. - The Apex mutant turned his head towards the darkest corner of the shuttle's cargo room.
    - The only reasssssson Fawuna will do thissssssss issssss getting him out of here. - The Floran woman left her hiding spot and pointed her finger at Cinder.
    - Oi'll consider yor words as "yes Oi will do as yo sai", - the giant ape replied. He went to the pilot cabin before adding, - Let's stort. Remembor, no-one most see yo, Cindor. -
    The mutant left through the metal door and disappeared from the boy's sight. At the same time, Fawuna whispered:
    - Fawuna goesssssss firsssssssst, the little ssssssscreecher next. Now wait here for Fawuna's ssssssssignal: "ssssssstab" issss the word. - She left the ship quickly, leaving the boy alone.
    Cinder shrugged to himself and sat down on a nearby box. He heard the Floran woman speaking to someone. He waited. After some time Fawuna raised her voice and said:
    - Why doessssss everyone think all a Floran wantsssssss isssss to ssssstab, - She said the last word loudly enough that the young Novakid heard it clearly. Cinder jumped off the box, ran out quickly, and hid behind one of the ship's landing legs. He saw two sturdy guards talking to Fawuna. They couldn't see the Novakid running out, since their backs were turned to the shuttle. Suddenly, the boy heard Jebishe's voice. It was coming out of the headset.
    - On yo left is an open ventilation shaft! Go there qouickly! - The voice almost yelled, but the volume was set too low to raise suspicion.
    Cinder looked left, noticed the shaft, and quickly snuck into it. It was unusually big for a ventilation system, but the young Novakid didn't know that. He climbed inside, crouching, and started moving through the large square pipe, which was built near the level of the floor for some reason.
    - Thei have strange vents... Oi don't loike it, - Jebishe warned through the headset. - Be careful, boyyo.
    It took Cinder almost five minutes to reach the next vent cover. The boy looked through it and saw an odd-looking human standing in the center of the room. He was lean and muscular, and his torso was almost bare. Strange straps came out of his belt; they were wrapped around his waist, upper chest, and neck so tightly that Cinder could see veins pulsating under them. His pants somewhat resembled ordinary jeans, but they were covered in crude stitches patching up holes. His pant legs were tucked into black biker boots called choppers, which were so tall they covered half of the human's shins. The human was obviously a male due to his chest size and body shape, yet he had long straight black hair which went down past his shoulders, some even slightly covering his chest. The man's face was hidden by a gasmask painted with a white skull.
    The room the human was standing in resembled a punishment room of a prison, windowless and having only a large metal door as an entrance. The main source of light was a bright ceiling lamp. But when Cinder's natural light shone through the vent cover, the man immediately saw it and rushed to the vent; he even bumped the wall with his own head. He whispered loudly:
    - See the light! The light is woarm! - he said the last word so indistinctly that Cinder couldn't tell if he meant "worm" or "warm". - Shines the headsman! -
    - Oi! Run! Oi don't know who he is, but Oi don't loike him... - Cinder heard the Apex's voice and started crawling through the vent shaft again.
    - Don't die out! - The human almost cried, but the Novakid boy didn't even turn his head and soon his light had left the room.
    After another five minutes, Cinder reached another vent cover. This one led to a dark room which was filled with bookcases. Jebishe's voice announced: - Looks loike it's an archoive! Get insoide and stort looking around. Tho evidence can be here!
    - The hole is closed with a grid... - Cinder said timidly.
    - Jost kick it open! - The giant ape said through the headset.
    The young Novakid put his foot against the grid and kicked it. The metal cracked and the grid fell on the floor with only a slight noise. The orange boy climbed out of the venting system and approached the first bookcase.
    - Move tho docs closer to yo headset, boyyo, so Oi can see them, - said the mutant.
    Cinder started looking through the documents, while Jebishe read the papers aloud so both the boy and the mutant would know what was written in them. It turned out that this laboratory had nothing to do with the Miniknog: the facility was the Doctor's personal lab, where he was trying to make a cure for the malady he had, which made his body weak and slowly decaying from the inside. The Doctor was kidnapping people and using them as test subjects for his experiments.
    The masked guy Cinder met was his latest experiment: he had gotten unlimited regeneration. He was under the effect of a regeneration stimulator all the time. His mind had ended up completely broken: he had a split personality with a sadistic maniac as the dominating one. Once he had almost broken out, but his lack of piloting skills had given the Doctor enough time to recapture the psychopath. Even so, twenty guards had been horrendously killed in the process. There was also a "normal" personality in him, but the time spent isolated from any friendly living creature had made this personality go dormant.
    After browsing through some more bookcases, Cinder finally found a file called "Anton 'Jebishe' Lazarev".
    - O... Open it, - the mutant's voice was trembling.
    Cinder opened the file and moved it closer to his head. All was silent for almost five minutes as the giant Apex read. Finally he said:
    - Get back to tho ventolation system. Oi have something to discuss with tho Doctor... - Jebishe's voice became grim and deep.
    The Novakid boy climbed inside the square metal pipe and began crawling back to the hangar. He quickly passed the psycho's room, and noticed that the human wasn't there anymore and the metal door was cracked open. Cinder crawled and crawled. Suddenly he started hearing screams and loud banging. Jebishe yelled through the headset:
    - Oh shit! Tho psycho's out there! He killed tho guords and now he's assoulting tho shuttle's door! Don't go out of the vents, no matter what! - The mutant's voice was panicked.
    - But...
    - No matter what! - Jebishe said with finality.
    For some reason, Cinder kept crawling on. He soon reached the exit of the venting system and looked outside.
    Blood was spilled all over the floor. Two dismembered bodies were lying near the ship bay, and even more were strewn around the circular door that was the entrance to the hangar. The long haired human in a gasmask stood in front of the ship, banging its door with a guard's detached arm in one hand and a big, ugly axe in another. The axe was strange: its handle was made of entirely black metal and it had a circular sawblade as a cutting edge, although it wasn't spinning. Both the weapon and the man were splattered in blood, but the latter had no signs of wounds, as if nobody had even tried to shoot him.
    Cinder quietly crawled out, trying to be sneaky, but the human noticed the movement and turned around. He raised his axe and prepared to throw it, but... Suddenly, he stopped and put his weapon down, looking at the terrified kid. Then he bellowed:
    - Shiny brings the pieace! - The last word was somewhere between "peace" and "piece". Then the masked man pointed to the dismembered people and snarled, - Crack the blind! Boil the eyejuice!
    The young Novakid was silent - paralyzed with terror. The masked man understood it and started slowly approaching him, growling with a deep, snarling voice:
    - Stars shines the headsman, brings pieace of flame to the manslaughter! Shine up, child! Shine the headsman! - Step by step, he was getting closer.
    - Whot are yo doing? Hide in tho vents! - Jebishe's voice freed Cinder out of the paralyzing fear he was in, and the Novakid boy quickly crawled back inside the vent.
    - No-no-no-no! - The masked man yelled, falling to his knees, - Don't die out! Shine the headsman!
    - W... What d-do you w... want?! – Cinder managed to ask from the venting pipe, despite his voice being weak.
    - Shine! I saw the light! Flame up little man! - The masked man was almost whimpering, but his voice was still snarling and deep, which made his speech sound quite awkward, - Show the miracle, fill the saint bar! -
    - What do... what do you mean b-by that? - The Novakid asked again, cautiously peeking outside.
    Instead of answering, the man kept whimpering and started hitting himself in the head with the detached guard arm. Somehow Cinder's intuition told him: "Touch his head. He wants you to touch his head". The boy told Jebishe this, and the mutant yelled back:
    - Yo crazy? He will just kill yo!
    - But he could’ve done it a moment ago! I must try this. I feel like this will help everybody, - the young Novakid replied through the headset and started crawling out.
    Seeing this, the masked man laid his weapon down and threw the arm away. He swung his hands back and forth, beckoning the boy to come closer; the whimpering changed to heavy breathing. The young Novakid carefully approached the psycho. Now, he could clearly see that the man's body was covered with scars and other injury remainders. After a second, the boy raised his hands and carefully placed them on the head of the human, who stayed in place, trying not to frighten the boy off again. They stood still for a minute and then, following his intuition, Cinder asked:
    - Who are you?
    - I’m the punisher, - the man in the gasmask growled quietly.
    - No, what is your name?
    - My... - the man groaned, - name... - He tensed, as if he was fighting something in his mind. Suddenly he relaxed and his voice changed to a normal, slightly deep male one. - Daniel Jones...
    - Who were you? - Cinder asked with noticeable curiosity.
    - Headhunter... I was trying to pay off my debts... - Daniel said.
    - Why are you here? - The Novakid boy made another question.
    - They captured me in the bar... They needed a lab rat for the stimulator... I’m invincible... I want to die... - the masked man sighed.
    - Why?
    - I’m a monster... I’m a killer... I have no hope... I’m the headsman...
    Suddenly they were interrupted by a shot. The bullet went through the human's head right below the boy's hands; the man twitched and immediately fell to the floor, his blood spilling over the tiles. A weak, throaty laugh came from a sliding door that had quietly opened during their dialogue. The Doctor, in his wheelchair, slowly approached the Novakid boy. He was holding a small pistol.
    - If you want something done... - The ape's weak body shuddered as he coughed, - do it yourself! Thanks for keeping him still... - and he coughed again. - But now I have to kill you, boy, so nobody will know about what happened here. -
    The puny Apex aimed his gun and laughed again, but...
    - No, you don't! - Daniel slowly raised himself up. The bullet hole in his head had stopped bleeding and was slowly healing.
    - What?! Impossible! - The Doctor's speech was punctuated with his coughing. - I damaged your brain... You should be dead! - The Doctor pointed his gun back at the human, but the man quickly slapped it out of the ape's hand.
    - I’m invincible, - Daniel reminded the weak Apex as he grabbed him by the shirt and tossed him against the wall.
    The monkey-man squeaked like a rubber toy as his body hit the wall. He tried to crawl back towards the wheelchair, but his muscles were so weakened by the illness that he couldn't even lift himself. He finally gave up and just lay there on the floor, snarling in rage.
    The long haired human turned to Cinder and said:
    - You showed the light to me, boy. I thank you. But now you and your friends must leave this place. Nobody must know about me and what was happening here during all these years... I hope I never see another person again, so that my monster cannot get out... I don't know how long I can keep it under control. Now be gone! - Daniel sat down on the floor and crossed his legs.
    - But... - Cinder wanted to ask him so many questions.
    - I said: be gone. And try to forget me...
    - He's roight boyyo! Get to tho ship and Oi'll get yo back to home, - said Jebishe through the headset, quickly opening the shuttle's door.
    The Novakid boy did as they said. He entered the ship, which immediately flew out of the hangar, leaving the laboratory and its owner to the mercy of the test subjects. Everyone was silent during the flight back to Sarah, knowing that the shuttle was the only way to leave the asteroid field. Without it, the laboratory had become a prison with no way to break out.
    After a couple of hours the ship landed on Sarah's surface, in a small pirate port near the "Shining Outlaw". The crew quickly left the shuttle and escorted Cinder back to the bar...

- So, let me go over the plan again. Right now we're upgrading your train to normal condition. It will take almost a full day of work, but then we will arrive there in no time, spending only one day total instead of three. Got it? - Dane was pacing around on the bar's second floor, while Oila was listening.
    - But if you lie to me, I will destroy you! - said the indigo woman, crossing her hands over her chest.
    - Of course, sunshine. I know you will... - The pink Novakid chuckled nervously, and then looked down to the first floor and froze, as if he had just seen a ghost. - Blessed starlight, am I crazy?...
    - What is it? - Cinder's mother followed Dane's gaze and saw two familiar bandits just entering the bar, accompanying an airily walking orange Novakid boy with the square brand and spiky corona. The second Oila noticed this she rushed down the stairs and nearly crushed Cinder with a big hug. Her brand was pulsating and her knees were shaking like an earthquake, but the Novakid woman managed to stand up straight and asked:
    - H... How?
    - Yes, the answer to this question is in my interest too, - Dane raised his shotgun, aiming at Jebishe's head.
    - Don't shoot! I'll explain everything! - The orange Novakid boy raised his hands. - Jebishe and Fawuna were forced to kidnap me! A scientist intimidated them and they had no choice!
    - What? - The bald, pink Novakid looked at the giant Apex mutant in confusion.
    - Tho boy's roight. Of course oi could tell it bettor, but... - Jebishe nodded.
    - What about you, "planty"? - Dane looked in Fawuna's direction. The Floran woman just hissed.
    - I’m not lying. Why would I? - Cinder said with childish innocence, while his mother was still silently hugging him.
    - Okay, fine, but I don't want to see their outlaw faces in my bar from now on! So get the heck out of here and never show up again! - Dane put his shotgun down and pointed his finger at the main door.
    - With ploasure, - Jebishe answered and turned to the exit, followed by Fawuna.
    - But... - Cinder tried to complain.
    - It's okay kid. Someday we'll meet ogain, and Oi'll not be yor einemy. - The giant ape turned and left the bar.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    The Squid, Heriol, Zebe and 2 others like this.
  15. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Looks like I haven't posted here at all. Oh well. I'm not good at writing reviews or lengthy feedback, and it's been a while since I read this properly, but here's some thoughts. Something more than "I like it" at the very least.
    The story and the characters are great; they just sucked me in even on the brief reread I had. Sure you've had grammar trouble, but that is just grammar. If you ask me, honestly, it's the storytelling that matters the most. And this storytelling is something I consider as really good.
    You're using accents quite successfully, and all of them feel really in-place in my opinion.

I hope you plan writing more some day.

camerox, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  16. Sir Wilfrey

Sir Wilfrey Spaceman Spiff

*Slowly raises hand* I have been known to be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to grammar and the like, but I don't make a habit of bragging. This sounds like it could be a chance for us to BOTH improve, as I could help offer advice, and simultaneously better my knowledge of forums and the Starbound community (maybe even become less shy?). I would love to hear from anyone's ideas on this matter, but no pressure! ;)

Zebe, camerox and Alkanthe like this.
  17. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

The story has been proofread already.

camerox likes this.
  18. Sir Wilfrey

Woops. That's what I mean in my bio about my mind running faster than I can catch up with. All I needed to see was a "Help Needed" and I was ready to roll. Sorry for wasting everyone's time :lod:

camerox likes this.
  19. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

No, thank you for volunteering. What I mean is, even though we've forgotten to say so, I've gotten over my problems with the help of @Zebe , and I think the proofreading is done.

Zebe, camerox and Sir Wilfrey like this.
  20. Sir Wilfrey

Oh, no worries! More often than not, I come across more offended than I actually am (workin' on that one, lol).

Alkanthe and camerox like this.