Modding Help Once again...

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Antej, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Antej

Antej Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wanted to make a new mod on Starbound Glad Giraffe version and i don't know how to. Can someone help? I want guide to Glad Giraffe ver.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

3. Antej

So to glad giraffe version it's the same?

4. lazarus78

Basically. Just reference vanilla assets to see how they do things. And always check your log file if the game crashes for any reason.

5. Antej

6. lazarus78

If you have any specific questions, you can post here and I or others can help you.

7. Antej

8. Antej

Hey where i can find my mod id?

9. lazarus78

Mod id? Not sure what you are talking about.

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I made a basic video of it for the tutorial series.
    Within 15 minutes you should be able to make a mod.
    Make sure you watch it in 1080p

Just keep in mind this video is designed for SB 1.0 ( Nightly build )

The mod folder in stable version will be in your giraffe_storage folder instead.

11. Antej

I finished my mod yesterday and I wanted to check how it works but when i tried to run starbound there was error with something about JSON. Any help?

12. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

You'll have to be more specific. Take a look at your starbound.log file to see why your game crashes. If you don't know how to fix it yourself, could you post the starbound.log error and optionally the file it mentions?

13. The | Suit

If you saw the Video - you will also would have known I purposefully made an error and looked at the Starbound.log to find what that specific error was and solved it.
    One important thing about modding is - you need to be able to know how to diagnose issues and not take it in a half hearted manner.

If you say I had some "JSON error"
    The only correct response is - Fix JSON Error.

Because you did not take the time to write out what that specific error is - you will only get non specific replies.

lazarus78 likes this.
  14. Antej

But where can I find starbound.log file?

15. lazarus78

In your "storage" folder. There will be several of them, but the first one on the list is the most recent one. You can open it in Notepad, but it is advised to use something like Notepad++

16. Antej

There was error that says:
    Error: Fatal Exception caught: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: expected JSON object or array at top level at 1:1

17. lazarus78

18. Antej

Hello I wasn't posting here so I decided to upload my mod after I validated it in JSONlint and when it's done i launched the game and I got error that says :
    An error occurred during loading: (ObjectException) Error loading object '/items/crafting table/megatonroboticcraftingtable.object': (JsonException) Improper conversion to int from string.
    And I don't have any idea what could it mean :(
    Please help me

19. The | Suit

JSON lint does not pick up every error since in Lint you can have numbers in quotes. While in Starbound in many cases the numbers cannot be.
    So some errors you will have to look through the code your self.

20. Antej

Thanks i founded the problem with your help now the only thing to do is to check that it's working :)