1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok, Let's talk about grinding gameplay in Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zellman, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaken_bacon

shaken_bacon Space Hobo

That's why I said it's probably not going to be an issue. But as far as I know we don't know much about crafting systems and things like that. Also we don't know the quest system either. Is it going to be like: "In order to continue the story you need to go and kill 100 Y monsters on X planet."

I have a feeling it won't be like this, but still a minor concern.

2. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

Never needed a Night's Edge? Did you never play before the 1.1 update? (that added all the hardmode weapons)

3. MathiasDrako

MathiasDrako Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Normally I'm okay with grinding because I like to see numbers go up and such, but I also found that the endgame grinding in Terraria was insufferable. I mean yeah the loot you got was cool, but it felt like such a nuisance in the process.

4. Yvisisa

Yvisisa Orbital Explorer

When it comes to "grinding" im quite use to it. I dont think setting the item gathering / money collecting in any differet way will fix this. Tho i do think the term grind is thrown around way to much.

What i do think will fix this problem in Starbound are the random maps. I see people get a little upset over mmorpg grinding since they sit in the same place, it seems like a "grind" at that point. Same problem i have with terraria is the fact the map is random, but im forced to play the same map to progress with gear, while i would rather just make a new random map and start all over again. I felt as if playing in the same world could bring about those feelings (and maybe a few icky bugs).

Even if your set to gather x whatever from drops, at least your doing it on a new map you get to crack open. The feeling on having to redo something over and over again will not have as much of an effect on players since they feel as if they have progressed by changing planets (IMO).

I use to play MUDs and MUCKs as a kid, and the random dungeons you could enter where entertaining becuase of this. Not quite knowing how your find the magic sword to progress you in the game is more fun then looking up a walkthough / video online, since you made your own tale, not relived the same one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.