"Oh it froze over..."

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Messyart, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Messyart

Messyart Starship Captain

Should totally have a tiny, *tiny* (maybe 0.001% chance) that any planet visited that ordinarily has a molten core will instead have a core of ice and water.

Or perhaps throw in a special liquid just for these planets, like a.. Liquid helium, or liquid nitrogen pools that do damage at the same pace as lava.

For added lulz, an indicator of this frozen hell could be a new unique enemy type - a flying pig, found only at the level of dragons etc.

Lazarus Mandas and Armorine1983 like this.
  2. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

Unfortunately I few want to keep the game realistic we can't, as all planets have to have a molten core or else they will not spin therefore not having an atmosphere, gravity, and it will not be a spherical like shape.

3. Messyart

Messyart Starship Captain

Ah yes, realism in a fictional setting. The best non-reason.

4. Lazarus Mandas

Lazarus Mandas Void-Bound Voyager

this isn't how planets work my dude
    molten cores don't affect spinning. The moon (or planet Luna if you want a solid definition of "planet" because everything rocky that orbits a star might as well be a planet with our definition) doesn't spin (relative to the Earth, you can't just say something doesn't spin because relativity is a thing) because it is tidally locked to the earth because of gravity shenanigans, but that's about the only planet-sized object that's affected by rotational locking.
    gravity is a property of mass. it has nothing to do with spindydoodles unless you get really quantum with it. in fact, centrifugality probably slightly counteracts gravity's effect but don't quote me on that i'm too lazy to look that up
    plenty of planets don't have (dense) atmospheres, mainly due to a cold, unmolten core.
    spinning actually distorts planetary shapes because of the stress it induces, squashing planets a bit. that's why the equator is (by a relatively small distance of 42.77 km) farther away from the center of earth than the poles, and why Mount Everest, while being the highest point above sea level, isn't the farthest point from the center of the earth (Mount Chimborazo is).

All in all, this thread is a pretty neato idea, although i'm afraid of it just being a reskin of another planet type.
    also 0.001 is ridiculous. That's 1 out of 1000. 1/4 of the classical rocky planets have frozen cores (2/5 if you count Luna i'm not letting that go), and from a gameplay perspective that would just be kind of unfun.

Messyart likes this.