1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Object colors

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Vanblam, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Vanblam

Vanblam Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I was just wondering how you change the color of objects? Ive seen multi colored lights and what not in the asset pack.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Currently you can't. It is unclear if this is just a bug or a non-functioning feature we will see at a later time. I do hope for it asI have several objects that would make use of it.

All variant colors of objects have to be their own individual item.

3. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

Are you sure they would require every single possible color combination? because if that were so.. SBSE (starbound save editor) wouldnt be able to use a color pallete to change your character (this includes the clothing) into ANY color you want.
    Or does it just add that colored final project to the games files when you hit save? if that were the case.. couldnt they just add that feature in the game?
    Like if you go hey i wana dye this part of the table blue the game goes ok and adds that colored table to the game files.
    starbounds pretty flexible with adding files in the game. ive gotten cigarettes and other strange objects from servers which of course arent even in the game. :speechless:

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I wonder of that is in reference to the rainbow stuff... Various different objects that are craftable can have their own tone. Especially if that object has some sort of light aspect to it. Depends on the set or type of object, if not which race it belongs to, but for the most part dos impact which you end up with.

Also if you are talking about the files that have a single color variation in a single pic... I think those pertain to objects that can be painted.

Other than that I have no clue... maybe something that has not been actually put to obtainable status yet, or has not the mechanic that goes along with it... Unsure as I have not thoroughly looked thru the assets in a while. Might have to do that sometime when I have more time...

5. lazarus78

Many of the objects already have color variants, we just cant access them. They are saved as sprite sheets. Not every object has alternate colors, however. I think the feature is just not implimented yet, or it's broken and they haven't gotten to fixing it yet.

6. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

so SBSE saves your color changes as sprite sheets? thats pretty nifty.

7. lazarus78

I dont have a clue what SBSE is. I never made any mention of it, not commented on its functionality.

Changing colors of clothing and weapons is done in a completely different fasion by changing the value of one color into another. All armors and weapons look ~orange/brown in their raw form if you look at the files. Via JSON coding they just say "Change color A1 to B1, change A2 to B2", etc.

Weapons and armor have preset colors you can access via admin commands, or even color them yourself. however, objects are NOT the same.

8. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

http://www.sbse.co/
    basically lets you make your character/outfits any color you want. also change your hairstyles and stuff.

so player stuff =/= placeable objects.
    in theory tho... since its all just spritework one and the same... couldnt they make objects color changeable like characters and outfits? although... just looking at my pixel printer... that could take a godly amount of time... for such a feature that i personally do not care much about..

9. lazarus78

Correct. Armor and Items are handled differently

Possible, yes, but not practical. The most likely solution will probably be what it looks like the files are set up to do, which is to be painted with the paint tool.