NPC NPC SPAWNER Configuration

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by hikai, Dec 31, 2013.

1. hikai

hikai Space Hobo

Hello there Starbounders !

Currently spawning an NPC with the crafted NPC SPAWNER will result in a tottaly random NPC , he will say whatever other NPCs from a village of his own race would've said.

I tought maybe there's a better way to costumize this.
    Player would Interact with the NPC Spawner before leaving the location. this will result in popping a configuration menu where
    the player gets to choose the race of the NPC , maybe give him some clothes of his own, change his apparence and finnaly choose the message or two/three random messages that the NPC would say if you interract with him

Edit : Add in the choice of the NPC's behavior ! Can or Can't Hurt Owner or Allies, agressive when hurt by someone or cowardly running away ! The Possibilities are quite large !

Imagine what you can do with this, you can have your own ship pilot, maybe a butler, a barman,some random excited guard ,or maybe a proud Hyoti samurai ! this will make your constructions more alive and more personal !

i hope you liked the idea !

(Sorry if my english is bad i usually speak french)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Red Wing

Red Wing Void-Bound Voyager

I wanted servants in my house, not old men and teenage party girls!

3. hikai

hikai Space Hobo

haha that's my point ! your personal NPC's being randomized, they're not personal at all.

4. hikai

hikai Space Hobo

Up! this idea needs more views , feel like it should be in the game !

5. RULERULTAMIS

RULERULTAMIS Big Damn Hero

Yes. Space stations that don't have a bunch of people wearing stupid clothing!

6. Prawnmaster36

Prawnmaster36 Poptop Tamer

Also, something to set their behavior, like if they are stationary, if they wander, patrol, etc.

Red Wing likes this.
  7. Alaster

Alaster Orbital Explorer

Would be awesome. +1 support.
    I would make an army of men in speedos.

8. Red Wing

Red Wing Void-Bound Voyager

I spawned a guard to protect my mansion, he told me to behave myself, so I killed him.

9. Trent

Trent Big Damn Hero

Hopefully we will be able to recruit NPCs from settlements at some point. In the meantime, If I am going to have to pay to build an NPC, I should be able to decide what kind of NPC I get.

10. hikai

hikai Space Hobo

@Trent

I find your idea of recruting NPC's from settlements more apealing , you would encounter several types of npcs (Mercenaries, Prisonners, Slaves, Handman) that are willing to work for you for a certain price. or maybe be your buddy if you do them a favor (Random Quest).

11. Tim the Slipperman

Tim the Slipperman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree this would be nice. I'm thinking the Spawners should bring up something similar to the Character Creation menu where you can choose the NPC's gender and appearance, and name the NPC's yourself. It would certainly give your game a more personal touch than just spawning randomly generated characters...

12. Pacificatore

Pacificatore Poptop Tamer

I entirely agree about this. I was going to make a thread about this a while back but I was certain one already existed or that someone else would do it. Probably not anything too important but like Tim said it would make the game much more personal. It would also be nice to have guards that look capable of guarding a town on a level 10 world.

Tim the Slipperman likes this.
  13. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Being unable to customize NPCs in any way really annoys me too. If we had a creative tool to do this, it'd be great.