1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakids, Ranged Weapons, and other races

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by moongirl, Apr 8, 2015.

1. moongirl

moongirl Poptop Tamer

Okay, so I just wanted to say that I feel that having the Novakids the only race to start out with ranged weapons (and only ranged weapons) is well, it was a terrible idea. I personally am not good with ranged gameplay so that already doesn't let me want to play novakids. And the fact that all other races are only melee it just doesn't make sense. I feel it ruins the sense of balance you guys are aiming for. I understand that you can get melee weapons later through chests and whatnot, but I just don't like that you can't craft any melee weapons while playing novakid. Here's a thought. How about every race has their own melee weapon AND ranged weapon versions they can craft. I feel this provides good balance, while letting people choose their preferred gameplay experience without having to miss out on their favorite race. I feel it will make the early game a bit better experience for everyone. And how about also in the locker their is both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon right from the get go as soon as the player starts his/her game. Thanks for the good work nonetheless.

2. Treldent-02

Treldent-02 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, i would prefer it if Novakids started with maybe a lower damage knife, although, guns are much much better in Unstable, i've heard, apparently they're almost equal to melee now(So what about fellow Manipulators like me? We can't even move when using staves!)

3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

While it seems that the guns being UP is a problem which has been fixed in the unstable update, I´ll have to agree with making all races (Except for Novakids) only able to craft a kind of melee and ranged weapon, as long as none share the kind of crafted weapon, but that is more related to the fact that it wold instead allow for more varied gameplay, as the player´s race currently only affects the ship and a few cosmetic things, and it can even be easily explained by using the backhistory.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  4. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

It is true that guns are MUCH better on unstable due to the energy regeneration changes.
    As for mages.. er.. Manipulators.. I haven't tested that style yet, but the energy changes should benefit them as well.

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You can see the combat changes in the video.
    http://playstarbound.com/combat-update-lunar-base-run-2/

6. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep, the reg is way faster in the unstable version, which makes ranged combat much more powereful.

Besides, energy dash doesn't cost any energy so it can be used as often in ranged combat as in melee, making fighhting with guns more dynamic. :megusta:

7. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

(It should also be mentioned, you can no longer spam energy dash too fly around).

8. Mixis

Mixis Void-Bound Voyager

I love Novakid.

Akre likes this.
  9. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

Personally starting with a gun and only a gun doesn't bother me, I was quick to adjust my fighting style to match my weapon. Usually I play in a certain way with most games, because its always melee, but with novakid I have to fight differently and I like that. The guns seem to me to be balanced enough. Even with having found really good melee weapons I don't feel tempted to use them. Personally I like having each race not only have different lore and comments but a different way to play the game, it makes the replay ability factor of the game go up.

samv likes this.