Tool Notepad++ vs Atom

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Tamamo89, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Tamamo89

Tamamo89 Pangalactic Porcupine

I've been using Notepad++ for years now and swear bye it. A lot of people would; however, I recently came across Atom.
    My question is simple. Can someone with experience with both programs compare and contrast the two programs on a detailed level. Thanks in advance!

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

For basic functions both are essentially the same.
    Atom does have a few advantages.

For one thing it opens all related files in the folder at once. So you can quickly switch between and compare files.
    Also while Notepad++ does Find in Files and Folders Search - atom uses a Find in Project method instead.

A Project is considered "Every Working File" - this tends to be a bit confusing at times as if you ant to search your unpacked folder for references - you will need to add it to your project.

Though I think the strongest point to atom is the UI - which I think trumps notepad++ by a mile.

Though I personally used all 3; Sublime \ Notepad++ \ Atom.
    I am a huge fan of Sublimes search capabilities - but love atoms UI.
    Also out of the 3 - atom is the only one which can open images in the application it self.

I don't have too much praise for notepad++ anymore.

2 Plugins I recommend for Atom.IO

It will check for errors as you type.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Naddox and Hekkaryk like this.
  3. Ledhead

Ledhead Phantasmal Quasar

So what you're saying Is if I am using sublime atm stick with it?

4. Tamamo89

Tamamo89 Pangalactic Porcupine

Just checked out Atom. Wow just wow, mind blown.
    Thanks for the plugins btw. Definitely going to need a JSON linter!

5. The | Suit

Functionality Wise - sublime is a lot better, so yes. It is faster and more optimized as well.
    Though Aesthetically Wise - Atom is a vast improvement over sublime.

6. Kasiko

Kasiko Void-Bound Voyager

Forgot about the wonderful editor Sublime Text. Which at times exceeds the notepad ++

7. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

For a noob who mainly copies and paste, should I stick with notepad++ or should I start looking into these other editors? I rarely do anything from scratch.

8. Dankmods420

Dankmods420 Big Damn Hero

I was in the same boat until recently. Notepad++ is a great tool, but being able to work on several things on the same screen has proven to be far more efficient with this kind of modding.

9. The | Suit

I perfer Atom and Sublime.
    The number of plugins and powerful tools available to you really outshines notepad ++

If you want something simple and don't want to over complicate things, go with Notepad++

If you perfer to have the most tools available to you, Atom.

10. TheElderScroller

TheElderScroller Pangalactic Porcupine

11. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Does Atom provide the search for text inside files function that comes with Notepad++ ?