Noob Wiring Help: Can I detect only the player?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by ManaUser, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

So I designed this clever automated lift for me base. It worked great!.. Until I let NPCs move in. They're constantly standing on the platform and activating the motion sensors, which gums everything up. Is there any way I can detect players only?

Or failing that, maybe some tips on how I can keep NPCs away from a certain area? All I can think of is a jump that's too high for them, but I'd be able to pass with double jump. Not very convenient to build though.

2. MongooseCalledFred

MongooseCalledFred Starship Captain

You can keep NPC's out with a morph ball hole. I think it is possible to mod in motion sensors that only detect players, but I don't know of any already available.

3. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

i havent found any yet, i once tried to set up a security system to tell me if a monster came close to my settlement, but it kept detecting my residents, and myself

4. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I've come a long way since when I posted this thread. I actually got the answer from another thread on the forum though. Here it is. I'm not home right now, but if I remember when I get back I can give you a spawnitem command to create player-only sensors.

Here we go:

Enter this in single-player. (you can copy-and-paste the long line)
    Code:
    /admin
    /spawnitem scanner 5 '{"shortdescription": "Player Proximity Scanner", "detectEntityTypes": [ "player" ]}'
    /admin
    The "5" is the number it will create, so set that for however many you need.

Like most customized objects made this way, they revert to normal after being placed and then picked up, so make extra, but they do work in multi-player (after being spawned in single-player, of course).

You can also make these:
    Code:
    /spawnitem scanner 5 '{"shortdescription": "Monster Proximity Scanner", "detectEntityTypes": [ "monster" ]}'
    /spawnitem scanner 5 '{"shortdescription": "NPC Proximity Scanner", "detectEntityTypes": [ "npc" ]}'
    If that feels too much like cheating, you could always trash the same number of regular Proximity Scanners and pretend you're re-wiring them.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

whoa! so cool! thank you for finding this!