Modding Help Noclipping projectiles, gravity, projectiles running scripts?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ijon Tichy, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ijon Tichy

Ijon Tichy Lucky Number 13

So I saw this game. I heard there was modding. That meant that clearly, this game needed the cannon from Serious Sam. If you're not familiar with it, it's a gigantic cannon that you hold in your arms. It fires giant cannonballs that completely annihilate weaker enemies and goes straight through them, and only stops upon doing enough damage, slowing down enough, or after a certain time. When it stops, it explodes gratuitously, dealing a final death blow to anything nearby.

Problem is, this would require the cannonball to:
    - Noclip, as it would do collision itself
    - Run scripts to do collision and damage
    - Be able to modify the world and deal damage to enemies
    - Be subject to gravity
    - Explode

I believe there are explosions, and I see some gravity parameters in other projectiles - not terribly familiar with things yet - but the rest of those I have not seen anything hinting towards it being doable. I hope I'm wrong.

Is there *any* way to do this stuff?

2. Ijon Tichy

Ijon Tichy Lucky Number 13

Actually, horrible idea.

Can guns fire monsters instead of projectiles? If so, I could just have the cannonball be a monster in disguise, which would be an UGLY hack, but it could get the job done.

Also then I could make guns that fire headless kamikazes and then Serious Sam would be happen

3. sarcose

sarcose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No one...?

4. kieve

kieve Intergalactic Tourist

Only specific types of objects can run scripts. The ones I know off the top of my head is monster behaviours and wire object. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get a weapon or projectile to run arbitrary scripts. An effect of this is that guns -probably- can't shoot monsters, which would open the gate way for hacks and workarounds.

This only applies now. Hopefully in the future it will be more open.