Modding Help "No such frame default.default in frames spec" when there is?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Markelius, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

So I'm very confused about this particular error, not because I don't know why it appears, but because I have no clue why it's appearing for this particular object.

That being said, the object renders fine ingame, except for in the inventory and when placing it, but once it's placed, it shows up fine. The reason this is odd is because I've compared it and it's associated frames files with multiple vanilla objects and by all accounts it shouldn't be causing any errors, but well, it is.

Anyways, here's the object file:
    Code:
    {
      "objectName" : "star21pxred",
      "colonyTags" : ["light"],
      "rarity" : "Common",
      "category" : "decorative",
      "price" : 10,

"description" : "An artificial star.",
      "shortdescription" : "Star, Red 21px",
      "race" : "generic",

"apexDescription" : "Quite pretty, I must admit.",
      "avianDescription" : "Why be a Stargazer when the stars are within our grasp?",
      "floranDescription" : "Starsss.",
      "glitchDescription" : "Observation. An artificial star.",
      "humanDescription" : "To the stars! Oh, it's right here? Nevermind.",
      "hylotlDescription" : "An amazing reproduction of the real thing.",
      "novakidDescription" : "I see m'self in this.",

"inventoryIcon" : "icon.png",
      "orientations" : [
        {
          "imageLayers" : [ { "image" : "star21pxred.png:<color>.<frame>", "fullbright" : true }, { "image" : "star21pxredlit.png:<color>.<frame>" } ],

"imagePosition" : [-10, 0],
          "frames" : 4,
          "animationCycle" : 1.0,

"spaces" : [ [0, 0], [0, 0] ],
          "anchors" : [ "background" ]
        }
      ]
    }

And it's associated frames file (the one for the lit image is the same):
    Code:
    {
      "frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [21, 21],
        "dimensions" : [4, 1],
        "names" : [
          [ "default.0", "default.1", "default.2", "default.3" ]
        ],

"aliases" : {
        "default.default" : "default.0" }
      }
    }

This is the error it causes:
    Code:
    Error: Could not load image asset '/objects/generic/stars/star21pxred.png:default.default', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No such frame default.default in frames spec /objects/generic/stars/star21pxred.frames
    Error: Could not load image asset '/objects/generic/stars/star21pxredlit.png:default.default', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No such frame default.default in frames spec /objects/generic/stars/star21pxredlit.frames
    So what am I doing wrong here? I seriously can't tell. Hopefully one of you will. Thanks in advance. :)

2. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

3. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

You misread my post. These are object versions of stars, not actual stars used in the parallax.

4. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

ahhhh my bad. in that case, can you post the entire frames files

5. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I already did. Reread my post.

6. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

my bad. missed the code clicky.

edit:

okay ... you're right. Code looks clean and dandy. The only things I can see being the issue:

- you've got it pointing to the wrong directory, so it can't find the image

- the image name and the frames file name don't match up perfectly.

- typo

I've had similar issues and sometimes it ends up being a simple brain-fart. Quadruple-Umpteen check the file names and folder structure to make certain everything is pointing to the right place. Failing that, duplicate another object, replace all the crap with your own stuff again, rename all the files and you're probably golden.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  7. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

-No I don't. All the object files, sprites, and frames files are in the same directory.

-frames files and sprite files share the same file names (except for extensions of course)

-where's the typo?

I'll fool around with the files later but honestly I see no reason why these are causing issues. What's even stranger to me is the fact that when I actually place the stars they show up fine, but when I am placing them there's no preview of them, they only show up once I actually place them. I had this same problem happen recently with another file I was working on and I am starting to think the game is having trouble loading all the mods I have running. I might try merging some together to see if it helps.

8. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Yea, because all is working but the icons, I figured maybe you just had a single error in there somewhere. Filename mistyped, etc. It happens, and sometimes you just don't notice. Nothing else looks out of place. Hate when that happens.

9. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

The icon is working fine. I'm using a temporary icon (icon.png) because I haven't done all the icons for the different stars yet. When I click on the object in my inventory and drag it out to place it but still haven't placed it yet, that's when it doesn't show up, when I actually click to place it it'll show.

10. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

ah, my bad. Strange though....as I suggested: remake the item from scratch via copy of another working object. modify with your actual code....see what happens. Worst case scenario , that usually does the trick (redundancy sucks, but such is life)

11. mastercookie

mastercookie Existential Complex

hate this error :nurumad:
    what kind of object is this? if its toggleable light, i think it needs animation file to work properly

12. Dunto

Dunto Guest

It looks like you didn't close your frameGrid before opening aliases. (You have aliases inside of frameGrid instead of the two being the same depth.)
    Check out outpostmicrowave:
    Code:
    {
      "frameGrid" : {
      "size" : [24, 16],
      "dimensions" : [4, 1],
      "names" : [
      [ "default.0", "default.1", "default.2", "default.3" ]
      ]
      },

"aliases" : {
      "default.default" : "default.0"