1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

No peantly for theft?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Xanirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

I could of sworn a blog post said there would be a penalty for stealing items come 1.0. It seems to only be partially implemented. Taking structures only seems to make NPCs yell at you for being a thief, but otherwise will not pursue and attack you. Taking items from containers (without destroying them) seems to not affect them at all; I can take and go as I please.

2. Axerax

Axerax Poptop Tamer

You have to do it with a guard and civilian to witness it. I've definitely had towns turn on me and my friends because one of us got caught.

3. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

Technically, you turned on the town, they trusted you with their belongings and you violated that trust.

4. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

yeah, being a Protector is rough for us rebel scum.

Noir Korrane and Will Liferider like this.
  5. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

An Avian flying ship is eaxtremely strict with stealing. They attacked almost immediately.

A human prison looking place's residents seem to attack just from wielding a weapon.

6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I think the human prison was hostile to begin with... unless they changed it in final. Every prison I have been to it was attack on sight unwelcoming bullets flying from random directions.

Some villages tolerate small pilfer, but do it enough times and those in the LOS or vicinity will be hostile or in fear. Accidentally attacking them outright indirectly also causes them to turn... There are means...

7. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure, I walked inside with a weapon drawn

8. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

That might explain it. I did so in a very mild manner just to test.

Tamorr likes this.
  9. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Yeah me either... Will have to test that when I next see one. Basically Z and walk through.

I just know prior to 1.0 that that place has always been hostile.:nuruhappy:

Yeah that would be key. Also if they are out of sight, like an actual thief...:nurutease: Aught to test that theory though, the out of sight part... I only know for sure taking too much does make a portion turn. I guess it is so if accidental you can place back or something. I am just glad we can craft blocks now so I don't have to tear down structures. :nuruhappy:

10. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

ive had some villiages that were extremely lenient with stealing

by which I mean I was on an airship and ripped up the entire deck, everything above it, and top floor in sight of as many people as possible and they STILL didnt care

Yusuke Urameshi likes this.
  11. Mr.PotatoFudge

Mr.PotatoFudge Phantasmal Quasar

i found a random guy with a pimped out avian house

stole all his stuff and he chased me halfway across the planet yelling "GUARDS GUARDS!"

sometimes the people you steal from get angry and attack you

but stealing is kinda useless when you can just block somones view with some dirt....

12. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

Reminds me of the glorious bucket on the head trick in skyrim.

That being said guards knowing you stole without seeing you would be way worse them having a third eye or whatever

13. Mr.PotatoFudge

Mr.PotatoFudge Phantasmal Quasar

i feel like they should at least notice that i looted ever single thing that they owned

and then sold it back to them....

14. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

I never destroyed their house I did loot chests it's not like you check all your drawers when you had guests over but a hole in the ceiling and an empty house yeah

15. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

I like the fact or they dont attack you when you break/stole 1 item or 2 (a fail can happen or atleast a fake fail for steal lol)) , but it would be awesome if we could "fix" our reputation in a town while fixing our grief.

Also we need to be thx by villager when we save them from monster IMO , and it should count in the karma balance.

16. Feera

Feera Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeeeeah. I found a planet with an Avian town, as well as a Floran town. Both of which allowed me to steal EVERYTHING, even after catching me numerous times. Guess they're scared of little birdies :3

17. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

Wait, what? That gag actually blinded them? I thought it was just something funny people did.

Shadox2.0 likes this.
  18. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Yep same xD , but indeed , if you want steal without problem , block the door or atleast line of sigh from them and everything will be ok.

19. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

I remember that I wanted to decorate my ship, so I turned the dungeon protector off for a Holotyl underwater city, and pillaged the whole thing. I am pretty sure I only was attacked by one guard.

20. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Hum....what do you mean ? sound interesting lol

About village/dg on planet we still have barbarian metode , kill all , destroy everything , then delete the planet file from files for reset the planet.