REQUEST No more: "So I heard you secretly gave (name) a gift. Do I have to be suspicous of you?"

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Zenivo, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Zenivo

Zenivo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When someone is your girlfriend/spouse and you give another bachelor of the same gender a gift, it sometimes happens that the hearts of your girlfriend/spouse go down. I really don't like this mechanic and I'd love there to be a mod that removes this. I've tried digging through some files but couldn't find anything related to this. Maybe someone else can help?

Androxilogin likes this.
    • ChiChain

ChiChain Star Wrangler

Only happens when married but I would like to see a mod that removes it, at least if it was a gift for the npc's birthday, seriously I know the game has some realism in the marriage part but who the heck in real life gets jealous when you gift someone a present on their BIRTHDAY!

Got one clingy spouse I must say, they go from loveable to clingy lover in one honeymoon.

• Zenivo

Totally agree haha!

• fynx

fynx Void-Bound Voyager

while i'm not super experienced with making mods for stardew valley (yet, anyway) this is definitely near the top of my to-do list. i'll let you know if/when i get it done! :)

• Zenivo

Ohhh I'm hyped! Thanks!

• springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

Not a fan of this mechanic either, but I thought it was removed by the latest update, at least as far as birthdays. (Some jealousy is understandable, but I do agree it should be turned off for birthdays.)

DreamerDrop likes this.
              • DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It still bugs me in general like. I can't have friends who are also single? I want my spouse to chill. It's a gift, it's not like I was giving them a bouquet.

springacres likes this.
                • springacres

At least it seems to only apply now to gifts given to marriage candidates who are the same gender as your current spouse. I'm married to Shane, gave Penny a(n un-birthday) gift recently, and my husband didn't react.

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As a girl who likes girls both platonically and romantically, this still bugs me. Maru getting jealous because I'm bffls with Penny or Abigail is quite frustrating, especially considering that she's close friends with Penny as well... Do I have to be suspicious of you, Maru?

But I agree, at least making it more specific like that is a step in the right direction, and thank god Birthday presents don't seem to set it off anymore.

springacres and fynx like this.
                    • springacres

Again, I see your point, @DreamerDrop. Tbh, that bugs me too. Shane hangs out with Emily and I'm not jealous, so why should he be jealous of me if I want to give gifts to Sam or Sebastian?

A related issue I have is that there's so little external acknowledgement of the PC's relationship status in the game. I've now reached 6 hearts with Leah, and in a recent conversation at the saloon she asked me if I was lonely on my farm. Um... I've been married since last fall and have a lovely daughter, so no, I'm not particularly lonely. (I also triggered Emily's eight heart event, which left me feeling a whole new level of awkward and REALLY hoping my character misinterpreted that blush at the end. Especially since she's BFFs with Clint, married to Shane, and not into other girls.)

DreamerDrop likes this.
                      • ChiChain

ChiChain Star Wrangler

I do question if someone could make a mod where they did notice you was married and such so stop with the flirting or stop an event happening until you was single again

springacres and DreamerDrop like this.
                        • fynx

fynx Void-Bound Voyager

so i have the text changed- that was pretty easy, the hardest part was finding where the dialogue itself was stored- and now i just need to see about if it still has a penalty to affection like it used to, and if so then that'll be a bit more work, but i'll try to have it done by tonight!

MattyToo likes this.
                          • dkei

dkei Void-Bound Voyager

If it's not too much to ask, can you please point out where exactly did you find it? I've been working on a dialogue edit and I seem to have bumped into a problem, where an answer from the NPC is not located in any of the files I can access. I am assuming it's hidden somewhere, but I can not for the life of me find where it could be. I read something about an NPC.cs file, any chance that's where you found the line?

• fynx

fynx Void-Bound Voyager

actually, yes! it was in an xnb packet named "StringsFromCSFiles" and to get to it you go from your stardew valley folder to the content folder, and then to the strings folder.

here's the .yaml file for you, so you don't have to go to the trouble of finding & unpacking it.

and then for anyone who just wants the text changed (or doesn't mind that the mod itself is very possibly still a w.i.p.), here's the file for it. if you're using a mod manager, it'll automatically replace the right file, and if you're not, make sure to back up StringsFromCSFiles.xnb before overwriting it.

dkei likes this.
                              • dkei

dkei Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you! I can finally get back to work. On a side note, while I was waiting I also asked around on the modders discord and someone there confirmed what I originally suspected, so I'm going to add, if anyone wonders- that file(and many other pre-1.2 hidden dialogues) can be found if you run the beta version.

• springacres

I don't have that StringsFromCSFiles anywhere I can find (SDV ver. 1.1 here), but thanks for prompting me to look into that folder! I'd been looking for one of Shane's bits of dialogue myself in order to tweak it - turns out it was in Strings\Events.xnb.

• thed4rkestrose

thed4rkestrose Big Damn Hero

I'm still having this problem in 2021, i want to get 100% friendship with everyone and Sebastian keeps saying this :catlol::catcry: