1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

No more .player file editing?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Knight9910, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

So, I remade one of my characters from prerelease, a brown and orange Floran knight named October. Have been playing with him for several hours and just realized I accidentally named him "Otober" instead of "October." I'm not super far into the game, but I'd rather not have to start over from scratch unnecessarily, nor do I feel like spending the rest of time staring at that typo.

So I figure... hey, I can just edit his .player file. I've done that before when I wanted to change the hair style of one of my characters... but that doesn't seem to work anymore. Any change I make to the file, no matter what it is, apparently completely invalidates the file and makes it so the character no longer shows up in game.

I'm sure this is some sort of anti-cheating measure dreamed up by our "wise" developers. Any sort of workaround out there?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

3. Knight9910

I'm using Notepad++.

4. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Starcheat works like a charm for .player file editing.
    For direct editing with notepad, you might have to delete the [string].player.bak files, if you haven't already.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You mean... straight editing the player file in notepad++?

Well there is your problem... You can't do that because data will be lost when you save. Important data, as you've noticed.

6. Knight9910

I didn't notice. Anyway, I just used Starcheat and it worked fine.