OOC No Man's Land- (On Hiatus)

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Roland Weiss, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Does this sound interesting?

1. Not too bad for a first attempt.

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. On the fence, here.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. I disagree.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Too many words, not enough substance!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Yeaaaah....Luciette would even be creeped out...

2. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

"Run."
    *turns around and face plants and stops moving*

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  3. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

Oh come on, the eyes are clearly asking for a hug! :p

Jareix Cryvix and Dragonclaw like this.
  4. BlueShard

BlueShard Giant Laser Beams

I made a few minor modifications and additions to my app

Name: Alistair Griffiths

Physical Description: 5 foot 8, Alistair is a thick set white male with similar facial structure to an Earth Australian. He has very light stubble and trimmed moustache like this:

[​IMG]

Personality: Alistair embodies the typical, tough as nails, army commander.

Vocation: Gunfighter

Traits:
    Advantages:

Standard Military training: It should be obvious why he has this.
    Computer assisted aiming: Alistair has remarkable accuracy, thanks to his bionic eye.
    Resourceful/Quick thinking: Making the most of what you have, quickly, is something that the war hammered into him.

Flaws:

Lingering hatred: He still despises people of Neue Bayern
    Authoritarian: He is not used to having his authority questioned, and often tries to take the lead.
    Hot tempered

Cybernetics: Alistair's right eye is a high quality bionic eye provided to him by the military when his own was lost.

Equipment:

Winchester Rifle
    Reflex cloth jacket
    Water flask
    Colt S.A.A (Single Action Army)
    Rifle Case; Also holds all the supplies needed to clean and maintain his weapons.
    Utility Belt; Has two ammo pouches and a water flask attached.
    Box of HE Frag Ammo

History:

When Alistair was 24, he and his father were drafted to serve in the war on the side of the Pyreneus Republic. In a particularly brutal battle towards the close of the war Alistair’s father was shot twice in the chest. With his dying breath his father told him the same thing he had for the entirety of their service together, “Work for peace, my son. This war is a trivial waste of life, be the one to stop it.” With those last words, his father life ebbed away, leaving Alistair stunned and sorrowful. His trance was broken, however, when a Neue Bayern soldier appeared over the nearby rise, taking aim at him. Snatching up his father’s prized winchester rifle, Alistair took but a second to aim, pulling the trigger and ending the life of the enemy soldier.

Despite his father’s words, Alistair did not work for peace. Instead, fuelled by a cold knot of hatred that took the place of his father, he fought harder than ever, earning distinction and rising up the ranks, soon earning command over a battalion, one of the most prestigious in Pyreneuan army. With his new found position he railed against the call of peace, gathering supporters, urging the fight to go on. Clearly his efforts were worthless, as the peace treaty was signed regardless.

Why then, you say, did he choose to help construct this rail way of peace? Perhaps some lingering commitment to his fathers words, or some attachment to the place where he had fought so stoically. What ever his motives, he is here, and this rail is damn well gonna be finished.

Other notes:

The Rifle: Looking like an antique, outmoded weapon, this Winchester has several interesting qualities. It uses 10mmLR rounds, similar to a DMR. The internal workings are also far more efficient than its old-fashioned counter-parts. All in all the weapon is immensely valuable and incredibly effective.

Also, this is a stupid question, but are you allowed to procure different kinds of ammunition? For instance, if you start out with regular ammunition, can you later on find or buy EMP rounds?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    themushroomlord likes this.
  5. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

It's a bit late to make any fundamental changes to your character.
    Also, I should mention that it's unlikely if not outright foolish to build a gun out of tungsten. I understand it's a material in Starbound for tier 2 gear, but with a mass 19.25 g/cm3, versus iron's 7.87 g/cm3, it would make a ridiculously heavy gun; and considering the obsession to make guns lighter with aluminum and polymer parts, it seems like a step backward.

As for procuring ammo, yes you will be able to find or make it. Though you won't be able to fit an EMP charge in anything smaller than a 15mm bullet.

6. BlueShard

I deemed the changes acceptable as nothing much has happened yet, and as such don''t their existence hasn't made any fundamental changes. Especially as I only gave him a carry case and a belt. However, I can remove them if you wish.

As for the weight. You are starting to encounter the "lack of effort" I mentioned in the first place. Although at the time I was not completely enlightened on the fact that tungsten is heavier than lead, I was perfectly aware of how heavy the metal is. I simply said it was tungsten because the metal is my absolute favourite element.

But I can change it. As I said, modifying something that has not yet made an appearence or a difference to events shouldn't derail anything. However, the decision is yours, as you are the GM.

7. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

You added an advantage and a flaw, that's a little more than just a couple inventory items. I'll let the changes slide this time, but everything's set in stone once the fighting starts. I'll extend this offer to everyone, by the way. If you have any last minute changes, now's the time to do it.

I wasn't comparing tungsten to lead, I was comparing it to iron and by extension, steel. Though you are right, tungsten is heavier than lead by about 50%. Tungsten as part of the bullets makes sense, that's how most modern AP ammo is made; though usually as a penetrator buried inside a softer metal, since a solid tungsten bullet would destroy the rifling of your rifle. However, tungsten gun parts? Besides the weight concern, the virtue of tungsten is its hardness, which is why it's used in AP ammo. However, this is a bad thing when dealing with certain high stress components, anyone who's worked with tungsten carbide drill bits will tell you that one misstep and they shatter like glass.

8. BlueShard

Well, one last change of words. The rifle is no longer made of tungsten.

I will try to keep my meddling to a minimum from now on.

9. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I've one more flaw for Amira. Separation anxiety. Basically, she gets really anxious when away from Rubio for too long. Within the same building and such is fine, or even in the same combat zone. But if she is inexplicably missing to her or has to be separated, she'll not be happy. (And we'll just change the unintelligence thing to having the intelligence and maturity of an uneducated ten year old.)

Dragonclaw likes this.
  10. critsarecool

critsarecool The Waste of Time

Kaizen is basically doing the thing that some professors do where they pretend that they are a student, except with a bunch of mercs on a deadly mission. Should be fun~

I'm fine with the way Kaizen is, no changes here.

11. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

*Ahem* They're Waffles, not pancakes.

HunterC1998 and Arra like this.
  12. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

13. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

That doesn't change the contents of the box.

14. HunterC1998

It does in my dreams!

15. BlueShard

Your dreams are meaningless.

HunterC1998 likes this.
  16. HunterC1998

To you....

17. BlueShard

Everything is meaningless to me.

Life, money, jokes, war.

HunterC1998 likes this.
  18. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Seems we've got a nihilist here.

19. themushroomlord

themushroomlord Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry, I'll reply later. I've been a bit busy recently.

General Nuclear and HunterC1998 like this.
  20. BlueShard

If I wasn't religious then I would be.