1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue No keyboard input and invisible mouse

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by kilrothy7, Jul 6, 2017.

1. kilrothy7

kilrothy7 Yeah, You!

This is a quote from a previous thread that I replied on that has been open for about 3 weeks with no response or assistance. I assume this is because the thread did not tag itself as a bug/issue. So, I am creating a new thread that is properly tagged. Previous thread here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/cannot-move-after-cutscenes.134425/

"Purchased this game for my girlfriend today. Never had any issues on my PC but her Windows Vista machine has this same problem. I have spent the last 8 hours researching, doing diagnostics, and sifting through prior related issues and the solutions. Here is what I have found:

This issue seems to be directly tied to the sound device.
    Many have found that the workaround is to disable additional devices, plug in headphones, If you have a xonar card disable GX (equivalent to EAX on soundblaster).
    The starbound log file will read an error for most: [Error] Application: Could not open audio device, no sound available!

You can also get around this by skipping the tutorial. however, if you die it will seize up your controls again after the respawn cutscene. When you complete the first planet the cutscene shortly after will also seize your controls.
    My girlfriend on respawn was able to unsieze it with some combo of shift+tab to access steam and spamming escape and minimizing the game. But this only worked after death, not on the others.
    This is persistent and repeatable in Multiplayer and single player.
    I have tried reinstalling the C++ redist 64 and 86. ran the game in 32 bit and 64 bit. I have reinstalled sound drivers. I have ran DX diag. This has been a problem off an on for years for a few users and I have yet to see an actual solution. I would like to see some help with this as well.

Here is a reference to this issue in a prior thread. it appears to be closed as is most threads as people found workarounds. I don't have an onboard soundcard or a headset option that can trick this into working.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/game-loads-fine-but-does-not-detect-controls.122367/ "

Full description of issue: after opening on tutorial, after death (if you skip tutorial) and after the cutscene when you finish the first planet (all i have so far due to inability to play beyond that) the game inputs are completely ignored.

1. keyboard works fine as I can hit my windows key to pull up start menu.
    2. The game operates fine up until one of the situations above, so it's not an issue with the config file input definitions.
    3. I have no sound on startup hence my error on initialization. (referenced above)
    4. Input issue throws no errors on the log.
    5. Game does not appear to save progress when error occurs ( was in multiplayer and had the host computer shut down the server to kick the computer with the issue and a fair amount of progress, this was after sitting in the broken state for about 45 minutes trying to troubleshoot)

2. kilrothy7

kilrothy7 Yeah, You!

Issue is still out there and I have yet to see any solutions or hear that this issue is even acknowledged. I am willing to provide any info required to resolve this.