No, I don't want you on my crew!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Knight9910, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

So, I made the stupid mistake of doing quests for my tenants. I know, call me stupid, but I thought it'd be helpful. Thing is, now the guard I have for this settlement has put on this red Buck Rogers shirt and keeps bugging me about wanting to join my crew.

I don't want him on my crew, I want him to guard my settlement. I can tell him "no," sure, but I can't make him stop asking, or make him take off that stupid costume and put his normal (much cooler) outfit back on.

So how about this. When they ask to join your crew, give us three options:

"Yes, join me."

"No, not now."

"No, and don't ask again."

The last option would be the same as the regular "no" option, except that their outfit changes back to normal, they stop chasing me all over town to scream in my ear, and they STAY THAT WAY.

....also, tenants shouldn't really be asking to join my crew anyway, should they? I mean, otherwise what's the point of having tenants?

2. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The point of having tenants is to make it easy to recruit crew members.

You can always pop the colony deed off the wall and then slap it back on to generate a new guard, but yeah, the option to refuse crew would be nice.

Jappards likes this.
  3. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

I don't want a new guard, though. I already cycled the colony deed like a dozen times to get a guard I was happy with, I don't feel like doing it again.

General Nuclear and Ankali like this.
  4. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Hello everyone :)

I totally agree with the fact that it's too bad to get an army of protectorate wannabe clones after a while, when doing quests for a cool colony. An option to say "no, and I won't change my mind, please keep your very unique and original outfit and live here" to an NPC willing to join the crew would be awesome :) It sort of breaks RP and NPC background stories to have everyone wearing the same clothes and begging to join.
    I wouldn't mind either if the trigger "that NPC can join your crew and will ask you" happens again sometimes after completing other quests for this NPC, if after a negative answer it doesn't ask again after that specific quest.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with 1.0 Starbound, I'm playing since early 2014 and I'm really fond of what's the game become so far :)

LtBlujay likes this.
  5. KingTomato

KingTomato Jackpot!

i now see how painful it will be when your whole colony will want to be janitors

6. qualiyah

qualiyah Phantasmal Quasar

You could avoid this problem by just refusing to do quests for your tenants--or at least, for any of your tenants you definitely want to keep as tenants. But yes, I agree with the OP; it really ought to be possible to permanently refuse the offer.

7. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

I agree, I don't need more red shirts to sa- 'ahem' bring along for fo- er, 'ahem' protection. I got enough soldiers on my ship as it is!

8. Seikikai

Seikikai Void-Bound Voyager

Bump...

I Agree With This Suggestion, I Want To Keep My Tenants As Tenants.

9. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Some way to "reset" the NPC to a state before they volunteered to join your crew would be nice.

If you continued doing quests for them after that, there could be a chance they'd eventually try to join again, but as long as you can always properly deny them and turn them back into a regular NPC, it wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
    Knight9910 and Seikikai like this.
  10. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

I support this idea. Dev Team, please do it!

11. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

12. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

This is something important to improve the game experience and reduce the frustration. If there is a mod, good. But this need to be official. We can't deppend on mods to make the game better.

braydon likes this.
  13. Roskii Heiral

The problem with "better" is that it is subjective. Saying something needs to be official is essentially saying that the changes you want should apply to everyone. Downloading a mod is saying, "I'd prefer the game to function this way, but I'm also aware that my preferences aren't shared by everyone."

And who knows, if enough people support the mod, it wouldn't be the first to get the dev's attention =3

14. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Well, the mod makes it so they don't change the uniform, but it still doesn't let you properly reject them.

15. Roskii Heiral

That is true, I kinda enjoy them following me though xD

Makes them feel more alive and makes me feel more like part of the colony

16. Zen Master

Zen Master Phantasmal Quasar

The problem with mods that provide such a needed improvement to the game play is that if they don't update it with each new iteration of Starbound then all you can do is throw up your hands and say "it was nice while it lasted." I say something like this needs to be a core part of Starbound, if only for the fact that if you try to enjoy this basic function of the game to its fullest then you end up with a colony of protectorates who cant participate in quests any more. Surely this change should be part of the core game and if you like them following you around in the protectorate outfits then don't answer them when they ask to join.

17. Roskii Heiral

Wow, nice necro.

Mods are the answer to this kind of statement, since everyone has a different vision for how they'd like the final product to look. And if a mod is popular enough (without deviating too far from vanilla), they tend to get added to gameplay in time. Its a great way to get new ideas out there.

18. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

How, could adding in a feature that is totally optional, and does not affect any other part of the game in a negative way, possibly be bad for anyone?

19. Roskii Heiral

You need to elaborate. I'm not sure why you quoted me. I'm not saying that it would be better or worse for anyone, just different. And in the mean time you have the "totally optional" ability to add that mod to your game and it won't "be bad for anyone."

20. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

Umm... It would be better for anyone who finds the way it is now annoying. You seemed to suggestion this would be bad for some people's vision of what the game should be, I would like for you to elaborate on any way this option could be bad.