RELEASED No Friendship Decay

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by hitachihex, Mar 6, 2016.

1. clickeddaisy

clickeddaisy Big Damn Hero

BRING IN THE STORM! (sorry)

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

I did have a quick gander at the code to see how complicated it was, and it didn't look too bad. Of course I haven't coded in a decade so I felt I'd best spare myself the headache of learning a whole API just for a single mod.

That said, if the author doesn't have any intention of bringing the mod over for Storm, is there anyone else who could consider making a port or an equivalent mod for Storm?

• Genn Faol

Genn Faol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I'm confused, mod author posted saying it would easily be possible to port it, then hasn't posted in four or five days...

I'm so desperate for the mod that I took a look myself, but I have too little free time each day that isn't the weekend to seriously figure out what needs changing.

Jigain likes this.
        • Helixis

Helixis Void-Bound Voyager

I took a look at the 1.1 version and wrote a Storm version of that. A quick test revealed that it does recognise if you talked to someone and adds 2 to their friendship score, but without something like the social menu for storm I can't actually check if it works and/or messes anything else up.

EDIT: Just did a couple of tests. Scores remain consist when going straight to bed without talking to anyone. Tried talking to a few people round town on another day, their scores mostly increased by 20 regardless of how many times I talked to them. However some of them only increased by 10, and some others wouldn't talk to me more than once. I don't know if there's anything that can effect that sort of thing, but it was raining on the day.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
            Jigain, Rauhn, otakuishi and 2 others like this.
          • Genn Faol

Genn Faol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Could you maybe port version 1? I'd rather have their friendship increase automatically than miss out on their conversations. That would be awesome.

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, sometimes they simply don't have more than one line of dialogue to say. But the expected behavious is, as you described, 20 points being awarded for talking to them once, with no real bonus other than flavor for listening to subsequent dialogue.

How does your mod do with shutting the player out from the first line of dialogue though? That was the "issue" with the 1.1 version, and it's why I stuck with the 1.0 edition. I want to be able to see all dialogue.

• Helixis

I'm not sure at this point, is there a noticeable difference between the first dialogue and any others? In my testing I did manage to talk to some people twice, and the dialogue was different but I wasn't playing attention to what they were actually saying.

If Storm works correctly on the event, it shouldn't be an issue since I do the check at the end of the day rather than at the start.

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

Well, how much they seem to have to say seems to be randomized each day, with one line being the minimum I've observed, and the maximum being four that I can recall at least. It's always a specific sequence, so if you don't know specifically what they usually say, I believe the best way to check is to first and foremost make sure that there are no townspeople who will not speak to you on a new day (indicating they only had one line and the game treats them as already having said it), as well as if any of the first dialogue lines with your mod enabled seem out of place, as if something should've been said prior to it.

Alternatively, I guess, decompile a particular character's dialogue XNB, find any given thing they say in the game with your mod enabled, and check the decompiled file to see if there were any lines supposed to come prior to the line they delivered in-game.

Of course, if it appears to be working for you, you can just put it out here and crowdsource the testing. From what I've seen here, there's certainly no shortage of people wanting it on the Storm API.

Le edit: Of course, one way of testing if there's any decay at all is to run SMAPI with the social menu, note down the numbers, open Storm with your mod loaded, make a week or two pass without talking to anyone, then load up your save with SMAPI again to verify the numbers haven't changed.

• Helixis

Well I did some more testing using Storms pre and post new day events and it seems to be working fine. It doesn't appear to block any dialogue, so I'll put it out and let people test it.

Jigain likes this.
                    • redheart

redheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Where can we download it? I've been waiting quite a few days now for the mod to get Storm'd. :<

• Snaitf

Snaitf Poptop Tamer

• Jujube

Jujube Void-Bound Voyager

You're my hero!

• redheart

redheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

And mine too. :x

• Jujube

Does anyone else have a problem getting hearts? Granted, I'm new at this, but I'm having trouble getting to a second heart. How many gifts does one have to give to get that second heart?

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

One "heart" represents 250 points. Talking to a character (once per day) grants 20 points, not talking to them (without this mod or the Storm equivalent) reduces it by 2 points. Giving someone a gift they like increases the score by 45 points, while a loved gift is worth 80 points. Giving a liked or loved gift on their birthday (check the calendar in town) increases the score by 8 times, to 360 and 640 points respectively.

In other words, giving one heart's worth of gifts will take 6 gifts if you're giving liked gifts, or 4 loved gifts, if going by gifts alone.

A more likely scenario, if you talk to the person each day and give two loved gifts, one week will net you ((20*7)+(80*2)) 300 points total, which is one full heart and 20% towards the next one.

If it's their birthday week, and keeping in mind you can still give them a gift on their birthday if you've already gifted twice that week, the same circumstance would net you (300+640) 940 points, which is nearly four hearts.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you.

Devirovk likes this.
                              • Jujube

Yeah it does, thanks :D Very much appreciate it

• Brolling

Brolling Void-Bound Voyager

Is there a way to not remove the decay but instead let it decay by 2 after a week in case one didn't talk to the NPC in the said week?

• Ilucie

Ilucie Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if it the mod's fault, but since its the ONLY mod I'm using, there's no other way.

I can't talk to my toddler anymore. No hearts. Nothing. Hearts also don't increase :/

edit: still happens after I got rid of the mod. hm.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
                                    • Unatan

Unatan Aquatic Astronaut

I know little about API's but what's the difference tween SMAPI and Storm? Just curious, oh and by the way love the mod, the relationships in this game can be oppressive and this is a big help.

• Jigain

Jigain Phantasmal Quasar

SMAPI was first, then came Storm, and SMAPI was discontinued before someone else picked up SMAPI to keep developing it.

As for the particular differences between them, as far as I can tell, Storm is more powerful than SMAPI and has more functionality. However, Storm is also less stable than SMAPI. SMAPI handles UI edits better than Storm. Storm won't let mods do certain things to the game code, which does mean some things are possible in SMAPI that aren't in Storm, but also means that Storm mods (and updates to Storm mods or the Storm API) will break the game less frequently than the SMAPI equivalents, and Storm updates won't break its mods like SMAPI updates do.