1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Nightly] New "Midnight" planet.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by lazarus78, Aug 31, 2015.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Noticed in the diff logs (Thanks @Kawa ) that CF has added a new planet type.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much to them yet, but Im excited for where this can go. (Darkout, anyone? No?)

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

My new home! Time to build a evil overlord castle!

3. Splatulated

Splatulated Scruffy Nerf-Herder

better be an always daytime planet too

4. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Edit: Here is the reddit thread about this. It has a lot of comments.

It is one of 2 new biomes the artists are making right now. They have just started work on it, so you won't really see what it looks like for a while yet.

@Tiy mentioned it in his reddit AMA 5 days ago:

"Yup! The artists are working on two new biomes at the moment. A ruined city and a midnight biome." (source)

"We're going to have ocean cities and possibly floating island/asteroid cities. As well as a ruined city biome.

We might have some preview images up on the blog this week :) we're finally using the "wrecked" assets in the game!" (source)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Sick Sad World likes this.
  5. xSlacker

xSlacker Pangalactic Porcupine

Oooh, Ruined City sounds cool :3

6. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I'm guessing "midnight" isn't to be taken literally. I guess a tidally locked planet could fulfill that requirement, provided you weren't allowed to explore the star facing side for whatever reason.

I suppose a cloud covered planet like Venus could also constitute perpetual darkness, though farther away from the star so it would satisfy the low temp requirement.

Maybe a planet so far away from its star that the light is too faint to be distinguised from any other star?

Oh, I know! Magic!

Whatever the rationale, it looks like its purpose is to give us something besides snow, arctic, and tundra biomes to explore once we get the cold protection tech. YES PLEASE. Very much needed.

7. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

There was a Doctor Who episode about a planet called Midnight. I'm not sure I want to go there when they get it all done. lol

SleepySquidd and Ankali like this.
  8. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

planet of eternal night? YES PLEASE! so romantic, and wonderful. <3 now everyone probably thinks im weird.

9. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Im with you Kaede! A place for all my Mightyana and Houndoom buddies! Btw im going to evole into an Umbreon.

10. Degenerate Pixel

Degenerate Pixel Phantasmal Quasar

I'm totally down for a dark atmospheric planet but they should really lay off the hard building materials a bit. (As far as I can tell, that ground is Obsidian?) As is, I only surface-ran a bunch of Fiery worlds to get a good weapon, the Magmarock and Obsidian is just entirely not worth my time to even attempt to break through.

11. lazarus78

magma rock, but yes, it is indeed annoying to dig through.

12. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Not weird. I was born and raised in the desert. Night is the only time it's cool enough to move. I love the night.

13. SugarShow

SugarShow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the solar system name.

14. lazarus78

Good luck finding it. I have my "Space Edits mod installed, so the coordinates are not the same as vanilla. :rofl:

15. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

Oh, cool.

A tidelocked world that's always 50% dark in one half and 50% light in the other would be interesting to see.

16. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

Hope they add vampires

17. Sick Sad World

Sick Sad World Subatomic Cosmonaut

All too awesome.

I'm taking a break from Nightly to let them add some more goodness before I return. New biome types sound perfect!

Midnight... ruined city... floating island/asteroid cities... ocean cities... they all sound awesome! At the very least, that Midnight Planet is pretty cool.

Thank you for posting this!

18. Velornar

Velornar Pangalactic Porcupine

beautifull...
    This planet look like Crematoria after sunset...with water ^^
    I hope there will also be some lunar dead coral reefs, or feature comparable to the midnight lagoons of the planet Shakura from starcraft.

I would love to see black holes or neutron stars with planets like theses, and specific weathers related to a regular flash of radiation on the surface for exemple.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  19. dar601

dar601 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the assets seem to have special stone/soil for that planet
    -(looking through @Kawa 's nightly changes)

20. lazarus78

They are changing it, yes. Its just at the time it first appeared in nightly, it was a rudimentary clone of volcanic worlds with minor changes. Once is said and done, I expect it to be overall quite different.