Night Owl Ring - For those people who wanna get the most out of their night

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GoldenTerrabyte, Aug 1, 2017.

1. GoldenTerrabyte

GoldenTerrabyte Void-Bound Voyager

Sometimes, you're out fishing, mining, or maybe you just somehow forgot to feed a couple animals, whatever it is. But it's extremely close to 2 AM, you don't have a chance of finishing up and reaching your bed. Well, here's an item that you'd probably want.

Night Owl Ring
    Crafted with:
    5 Iridium Bars
    30 Void Essence
    50 Bat Wings

While wearing this ring, you can now stay up until 3 AM. But that seems a bit expensive for just a little bit of extra time at the end of the night, doesn't it? Well, it gets better than that. The ring also greatly pads the energy penalty the next day if you go to bed late, and if you do manage to pass out, the ring protects you a little bit. You still will lose that bit of money, but no items from your inventory can get lost.

The recipe could be unlocked from the Wizard. Once you reach a high level of friendship(~6 hearts) with the Wizard, the Tower will be open to you much later into the day. If you come in sometime past ~10 PM(22 in 24-hour), a brief event will play out, where he comments on your eagerness to still be active so late, and teaches you this recipe to help you out.

• Xamerzan

Xamerzan Cosmic Narwhal

This would be an interesting ring to have in-game, though I feel like it might need to be slightly buffed. Maybe give it an additional function or maybe or allow it let you stay awake till 3;30 the at the latest... that's just me though. =|

As a bonus, here's an image of what the ring could look like. Feel free to use it in your own post if you want. :)
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
      • NasikaSakura

NasikaSakura Star Wrangler

I think the Return Scepter suits a night owl's purpose rather well for all other aspects except the loss of inventory items when passing out. I would love the Night Owl ring simply for that aspect alone.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
        • Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Rather than a ring, I'd make it a buff from a food. Maybe craft cappuccino from milk and coffee? Maybe the dwarf could give you the recipe, some reason to befriend him? Iridium is such a late item that I don't think that would alter play much.

GoldenTerrabyte and NasikaSakura like this.
          • NasikaSakura

NasikaSakura Star Wrangler

It would be interesting if you could stack the statistical boost of playable night time without passing out by how many cappuccinos that you consume.

• partiallybees

partiallybees Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of a ring but, as NasikaSakura mentioned regarding the return scepter, it might be a little unneeded late-game considering all the other buffs and items you get. It would probably only be of much use Skull Cave spelunkers.
              A food item, however, might be more accessible and useful earlier in the game. But maybe instead of a cappuccino make it an espresso instead (just seems more of a caffeine boosting item)? The recipe could be like 3 coffees or something and it would give you an "awake" buff for the equivalent of one in-game hour and the buff could also prevent collapsing from exhaustion before 2am. In-game food buffs don't stack though, so maybe you could just drink another one when it gets close to time? And since buffs do shorten as the day goes on, it wouldn't be infinitely usable in one day.
              (If I knew how to make mods I'd try my hand at this, it's really caught my interest)

GoldenTerrabyte and Fuzzyman like this.
              • GoldenTerrabyte

The idea of a food buff for this effect seems like a good one too. I wouldn't mind if something like that got added instead.

• Focean

Focean Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was thinking that maybe it can be crafted instead of bought. And for a cheaper price (gold instead of iridium perhaps) since it isn't too OP and so that we can obtain it earlier than late game. The food buff idea sounds nice too but I think I'd like it better as a ring x:

• Pyrofish

Pyrofish Starship Captain

Compared to other rings, it sounds pointless.

• GoldenTerrabyte

You might be right about it being underpowered for a late game item. Anyone else agree it should be Gold instead of Iridium?

Focean and Xamerzan like this.