1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

New creative build: Sky Ruins "Biomes"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ludovic, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

As already posted on Reddit...

http://imgur.com/a/zCZ8V

"Once Erchius Fuel was discovered, the potential of the material for FTL engines was phenomenal. Within the blink of an eyes, the enormous gases pumping stations that covered any known gas giants would be abandoned. After all, with the discovery of Erchius, the galaxy had discovered a much more efficient and easier to extract form of FTL fuels than the multiple rare gases of gas giant planets.

Without maintenance, most of these stations have been shattered into half-functional floating wrecks by the chaotic winds of their host gas giants.
    Who would ever want to return to a time before the efficient lunar erchius crystals and fuel mines?"

----------------------------------------------------

Basically, with all the tropes about sky cities and gas giant pumping stations pumping rare gases from the planet, I'd been pondering what a "Cloud-high ruins/city" Biomes would look like as an hypothetical way of creating a "playable" biomes for gas giant.

I would have wanted to take these screenshots in the middle of a storm for extra effect, but sadly the local planet(a desert world)'s local weather did not want to cooperate with me ;

I could definitely have tried to add a bit more rubble block in there.
    to try to make this a more "natural" deal that might feel like it -could- be generated by a procedural generation system, I tried to inspire myself from the existing asteroid biomes for the "sky wrecks" mess of barely held together chunks of metal and propellers amidst the piping of the old gases pumping stations.

The proper and more "intact" Sky Ruins I imagine could be emulated by creating large landmasses of rusty metal, and "digging" through them through a version of the cave generator meant to create more vertical and horizontal hallways with the occasional microdungeons "rooms" that could feature varieties of half-functional mechanisms and other things.

Finally, I'm half tempted to make an actualy "Sky town" settlement, segments of such gas giants' derelicts that might still be inhabited with villages built ontop of them or inside. Such locations could be perfect for stuff done to the theme of "smugglers' den" and "hidden bases"(which could be a good spot for apex insurgents and other similar groups such as more millitan members of the avian grounded).
    I decided to try to make this one because I felt my Toxic Ruins, though apparently very liked, veered more on the side of being a dungeon/microdungeon than an actual "biomes".

This here is basically my second attempt at doing such that hopefully might be more in line with the goal of this week's BOTW.

FadedSketch and foreck like this.
  2. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Actually I -have- missed the existence of the screenshot thread. I've only started posting here for the first time in over one to two years(and if I recall the forums layout have had the time to change since then) but only one month ago where I mostly stayed and looked at the suggestion and general discussions threads alongside the blog post.

I'm sorry that my lack of experience, especially when it is among the first time that I attempt to create a creative build, thanks to inspiration from the starbound subreddit, is immediately seem as a "lack of respect to the community".

If an admin wants to move the thread I would be glad for it to correct my mistakes because I never meant to disrespect anybody here.

4. FadedSketch

FadedSketch Subatomic Cosmonaut

Wow, that looks epic! Puts my building skills to shame. :rofl: Awesome work!