Network of Starbound Fanfiction Writers

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by SB Fanfiction Network, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Captain Karo

Captain Karo Cosmic Narwhal

I'm here! Here's my application if needed.
    Author name: Captain Karo / Karo

Description: I occasionally sit down to write when I'm not out flying or something. I write sci-fi or WWII short stories in my spare time.

Works: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/wanderer-an-adventure-chapter-9-is-up.92921/

Story descriptions:
    Wanderer; my only Starbound work to make it onto the internet. It's a scrapped idea for a story about Karo and his crew of close friends. Discontinued.

Other information: I occasionally doodle.

2. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

:D :D :D

Zebe likes this.
  3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Alrighty, added that in. Welcome to the clan! c:

Alkanthe likes this.
  4. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Late to the party, per the usual. Here's my application!

Author name: Tatterdemalion (Also occasionally Tatterdemaliae if the former is already taken)
    Description: I'm author by hobby and occasionally by trade. Generally I write original works; Substellar Vagary is the exception. I most frequently write sci-fi, fantasy, or a combination of both. My style tends to veer towards lighthearted adventure, but as a rule I attempt to vary my tone across experiments to widen my repertoire. I consider world-building my forte.

Works:
    Substellar Vagary: An episodic sci-fi serial set in my take on the Starbound universe. The overarching story follows the crew of a ramshackle ship called the Sucker's Luck as they try to scratch out a living in an uncaring galaxy. I occasionally make updates, but there's no set schedule.

Sucker's Luck Soliloquies: Not actually a story, but rather a collection of short selections that take place in the Substellar Vagary canon. Spin-offs, world-building, and interactions between characters, as well as some behind-the-scenes discussion are all posted here.
    ...I should really put some of my non-Starbound stuff up on here. Maybe later.

Other information (optional): Let's see... I'm also an avid actor. Theatre's a passion of mine, especially musicals. I play alto saxophone in both jazz and classical styles. I have a pug named Beauregard. Terry Pratchett is the best. That's 'bout it.

Zebe, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  5. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Tatterdemalleon said he's late to the party. Gues who is the latest?

Author name:
    Warget

Description (optional):
    When it comes to writing, Im being pretty chaotic in it. I can keep working on one story for months, burning like a bonfire, but then suddenly extinguish, like a pile of matches. Im always trying to do as good as I can, but sometimes I feel like I need to be better, even if I can't. It makes me depressed and then I often stop working for a while. Also, English isn't my native, so, to solve a grammar problem, Im using the help of a kind person. :D
    If you ask me about the "proffessional" things, such as style, themes and stuff.... Well... Im not going deep inside of it. I just start write for my own amusement, and then keep writing if my story is being liked by somebody.
    Works:
    Currently, my only big work is "One long journey of The Green Lance". The link is in my signature.
    Story descriptions (optional):
    One long journey of The Green Lance: It's a long story about the traveling Novakid spacetrain and it's crew. The tale itself is made of many small and medium "chapterlike" stories. Each story tellst you a small episode of the crew's life.
    When I was writing it, I was trying to stay as canonic, as possible, but I had to put some of myself in it, but I think, if you are fan of Novakid as a race, you will like it.
    Other information (optional):
    Due to my chaotic temper, sometimes I disappear from the forum, so you can easily lose the track of me for some time. Also, I think im really addictive to attention, so I get burnt out quicker, if my story gets nless comments from the random people. I don't know what to do with it... =(
    But, from the good sides - Im a fan of the Dwarfs! =D I want them into the game, at least as an NPC race. And NO, Alpacas are not Dwarfish enough!

6. Tatterdemalion

...Are we allowed to talk about non-SB stories here?

Zebe likes this.
  7. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

That's an interesting question.

8. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Why not? Personally, I ain't denying anything 'cause I see no reason to do so. Rules here are pretty open. We have no constraints... well, besides what the forums already have.

9. Tatterdemalion

Alright, here's what I'm working on right now: Picture an irreverent fantasy comedy, featuring a narrator prone to tangents and a wholly unskilled cast of characters. The setting is Fulcrum City, a giant, seedy city-state in a world at the rough technological and social equivalent of the 1920's-era United States.

The catch- in this world, magic is very real, and operates by phasing alternate laws of physics across planes of existence. Magic's still very misunderstood and not well-documented. It was utilized to devastating effect to end a planet-wide war, leaving several cities across seas nothing but squirming craters of tentacles. After realizing its destructive potential, a prohibition on magic has been issued in Fulcrum City. Needless to say, magic thrives in an underground world of criminal mobs and hedgers, short for hedge-mages, this world's equivalent to bootleggers, who utilize whatever scant information on magic is left to create illegal spells, often to dangerous and unpredictable effect.

Meet Barnes, the protagonist of the story. A practicing hedger who vastly overestimates his abilities as a warlock, Barnes summons a demon who quickly overpowers his spells, escapes, and leaves him mostly dead. (Mostly, meaning he's pretty much a magical ghost who can't really interact with the world. Only a few select people and creatures can see him.) Barnes, assisted by his familiar, a talking three-legged cat named Jacqueline, has to figure out how to get himself a new body and recapture the demon he summoned before it enacts its own devious plan. On the way, he gets in trouble with the mob, meets a oracular runaway flapper, and generally gets caught up in bizarre and ridiculous adventures.

So, any thoughts? Questions? Does anybody have any advice on keeping the comedy tonally correct? I'm having some trouble figuring out how to keep my villains threatening while still humorous.

10. Sir Wilfrey

Sir Wilfrey Spaceman Spiff

While I'm by nature terrified of any sort of crowd or not-properly-justified-interruption, this has to be one of the coolest ideas I have ever heard. Even if I don't make some substantial mini-verse deemed worth joining this fantastic-sounding guild of literary artists, I'd like to personally say "Totally behind you, bro".

P.S, Huge fan, Warget!

Lavranzo, The Squid, Zebe and 3 others like this.
  11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Okay, here's an idea I'll throw out for y'all to think about. I waited for people to join, then I forgot this totally, and now it almost too late. oops

December Starbound Fanfiction contest. How does that sound? It would start December 1st, and sending works would be possible until the last nanosecond of 2015. Not for clan members only: everyone could participate. In the end the works would be judged by the readers via a poll, and the winners would be announced in mid-January I guess.

Length of the works would be in the range of 500-1500 words (maybe?). I'd like to dismiss poetry, because it could work as a theme for another contest later on (maybe?). And the works wouldn't have to be holiday-themed at all, just to point out. Any thoughts or suggestions? I know, I know, it's almost December already but im too lazy to look at calendars

This sounds interesting. Very interesting. I can almost picture that world... but I bet there's much more detail to this world and it's characters than I can imagine based on that brief description. Magic, demons, mobsters, a talking cat; you got me to support this. So yes, this is damn amazing. I don't have much else to say about this right now, but I'm interested in hearing more about this in the future.

Given that I don't have that much experience I'm not really the one to give advice, but thinking back on some humorous villains I've seen... Maybe a villain that is so serious and devoted to their cause that it borderlines parody when contrasted with the general tone of the work. Or a villain whose actions are obviously clichéd and expectable by the readers (and maybe even by the characters themselves), but actually effective in hindering the protagonists/doing whatever. Anyways, generally humorous villains don't take the heroes very seriously (though that applies to many antagonists).
    Just some thoughts...

Lavranzo, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  12. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Little problemmo. Me, for example, will have to use some help to proofread my work. And my official redactors were you and Alkane, so technicaly, if I will be froofread by you, this makes us a small writer crew. >_>

Zebe and Alkanthe like this.
  13. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

@Sir Wilfrey wanted to help you proofread. Perhaps he can help you with this.

14. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I don't think that matters, not to me at least. Still, I do see how other participants could react (especially if the contest organizer would be proofreading your work...)

I don't really know how multiple author works should be dealt with. Any ideas? >~>

Sir Wilfrey and Warget like this.
  15. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

Well... Yea. This makes a small crew anyway.

Yeah... >_> Definetely gonnabe uncool.

Sir Wilfrey likes this.
  16. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Or we could actually have everybody team up.

Warget and Sir Wilfrey like this.
  17. Sir Wilfrey

I sense a rising action in the force.... have I been summoned for an awesome team of loyal starboundians?

Alkanthe and Zebe like this.
  18. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

If there are multiple author works, I say we let them join, and then make both authors fight to the death for the prize just say they both won. There might be a better way to handle this, but I'm really tired right now and can barely think.

Alkanthe, Warget and Zebe like this.
  19. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Actually there's no issue whatsoever with multiple authors. The prize can be just split in whichever way the winners want. Perhaps it would be good to limit the amount of entries per person to one though. It could be a little annoying to see one person as an author on multiple winning works.

Alkanthe and Warget like this.
  20. Sir Wilfrey

Small question, but innocent enough; Am I allowed to use a selection from the logos as support, though I'm not in the guild? I do hope to, at some point, create a work or works worthy of joining, and am currently working with Tatterdemalion and Warget as co-authors (Cuz I believe in teamwork, solidarity bro!) on a little project called "Manhunt" (Not an assassination, dangitt).

The Squid, Warget and Zebe like this.