Network of Starbound Fanfiction Writers

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by SB Fanfiction Network, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Combozone

Combozone Existential Complex

*judging intensifies*

Zebe and Lavranzo like this.
  2. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

*quietly clears browser history, which is filled with quotes looked up on good reads*

Lavranzo and Zebe like this.
  3. Stephen King is a fantastic writer, and On Writing is a great foray into the vicissitudes of artistic life.

I've finally managed to get my hands on Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. What a disappointing book. It's a complete clusterfuck. That being said, the writing was enough for me to read to the end, but there are so many plot holes and inconsistencies and jumps of logic that it was hard to stomach the tepid ending.

4. Lavranzo

Lavranzo Pangalactic Porcupine

Is it recommendable? I've got a whole one and a half month's vacation ahead of me, so I'm in the search of some good reads.
    I'm thinking of reading "The Elements of Eloquence" by Forsyth (and I'm definitely gonna at some point), but one short book is surely not enough to fill out the entirety of the summer.

5. Combozone

I know someone who is looking for critiques on his book (and sells in general), but:
    a) this is not the place to advertise for it
    b) the text is broken on anything smaller than a kindle fire
    If anyone's curious, the book is called Money Pit. Look for the cover of 7 people.

Zebe and Lavranzo like this.
  6. Lavranzo

Can I get an author on that? I have a hard time finding it.

Also, if any place, this would probably be the best for such adverts, right? I mean, it's not like it's commercial as fuck, and frankly, I think small writers should get more publicity (even if that only means 7 lonely, writing, nerds, who've gathered together in a small group on the community forums of an indie game).

7. Combozone

Look up Christopher Corbett.
    The book may seem a bit weird and "homebrew" when you start reading, but that's because it is, and the homebrew is REALLY good once you start getting into it more.

Lavranzo likes this.
  8. Lavranzo

I'll be taking a look on it some time in the future - it seems interesting. From the preview I found on Amazon, it seems a bit much on the children's fantasy side, but then again, it's hard to judge from just a few pages.

9. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

You can advertise and talk about literature here, jussayin'. I mean, that's what this place was made for. just make sure you arent a publishing company

Less than a week until July... Not sure if I make the contest. I don't even have any prizes. There aren't that many active authors around right now I think (less than in December, I'm fairly certain), so I'm considering delaying the contest until 1.0 launch. There will be more commotion then, for sure. Maybe have a big dual contest with both poetry and prose? Any opinions/ideas?

10. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I'd be up for a writing contest pertaining to the starbound story. As in, the protectorate, the cultists, the ruin, the miniknog, and other assorted newfound lore.

11. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

What if certain writers would rather not write something following or about the new lore?

12. Jareix Cryvix

Not my contest, I'm just saying what I would write if there was a starbound writing contest at 1.0 launch.

13. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

What about a big DUEL contest, where two people write a poem and then we vote for the winner, who moves on to challenge a winner from another duel until there's only one person left and the losers have a duel with pistols?

Lavranzo, Zebe and Alkanthe like this.
  14. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

A poet tournament? That sounds fun if pistols are involved.

Lavranzo, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  15. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Lavranzo, nababoo, Zebe and 2 others like this.
  16. Snow Crash is a "classic" of science fiction, so if you're into that canon-completion thing then I'd say go right ahead -- it's not that bad of a read.

Here are a few science fiction recommendations that I feel would suit you better:
    • Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
    • The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
    • Asimov's Foundation series (this one's also a classic)
    • Neuromancer by William Gibson
    • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne (this one's old, and as much of a classic as you can get in this genre)
    If you want a more comprehensive list feel free to ask!

The Squid, Lavranzo and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  17. Jareix Cryvix

I don't see Frankenstien by Mary Shelly in there... (And I'm talking about the real, talking, articulating, intelligent reanimated creature one. Not the lumbering bulk we always see in movies and pop culture.)

Lavranzo likes this.
  18. Lavranzo

Good list - I will take a closer look for sure! (Asimov, Clarke and Verne has caught my eye in particular)
    Never read much sci-fi (never read any, in fact), so hopefully this'll be a good introduction to the genre!

Oi, this looks interesting as well. Suddenly, my holidays seem much too small!

Also, if anyone cares, I'm halfway through Forsyth's "The Elements of Eloquence" and I fully recommend it to anyone with a passion for the English language and rhetorics!

nababoo and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  19. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

So, first of all, sorry for just dying a while ago. My interest for Starbound waxes and wanes. However, I do still like all you people and the little writing community we have set up. Would anybody consider making a migration to a more neutral webspace where we can focus more on writing in general rather than just writing about Starbound?

The Squid, Lavranzo, Zebe and 2 others like this.
  20. I would be more than happy to join you guys in a migration.

What platform should we use? A Discord server? Forum? Skype group?
    I haven't read it so I can't attest to its quality. But certainly it's crucial to understanding contemporary literature, speculative or otherwise, so it gets a half-recommendation from me I suppose.