Negatives and Consequences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cicatrice, Feb 16, 2013.

1. cicatrice

cicatrice Space Hobo

I'm curious about the negative side of things in games since they add that element of challenge. Will we be encountering things like natural disasters (e.g., hurricanes, blizzards) or pesky rodents and wildlife in SV? How about consequences for staying out late and laboring too hard? Will the livestock be depressed if they don't regularly experience sunlight, or are in overcrowded conditions? Admittedly, I don't want to encounter the negatives but having them there looming is critical to a well-rounded gaming experience. Therein lies the fun--avoiding the negatives and reaping the benefits of doing things right, whether through proper planning and/or skillful, efficient play.

Gearald, Solum, Active Link and 2 others like this.
    • CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

I do like this suggestion, it adds more immersion to the game and makes your farm..less OP in a way

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

Yes, there will be "negatives". For example, there are pesky crows who try to eat the fruits of your labor. Of course, if you set up a few scarecrows around your farm you should be pretty well protected, but there will probably be ways for your scarecrows to be destroyed or to decay over time. There are also consequences for staying out late and not taking proper care of your animals. Animals do have preferences... they don't like to be out in the rain, they like to be able to eat fresh grass, etc...

I'm not sure about natural disasters. If I have anything devastating, I'd like the player to have the opportunity to protect themselves from destruction. It's never fun to feel like you're being punished for no reason and without any hope of avoiding the disaster, right? Although It might be fun to know that a storm is coming a day in advance and have to frantically scramble to protect your crops and animals...

• CJoker3221

Well, how about a green house that can protect expensive plants like watermelons or -insert expensive plants that I don't know of- and can grow in any season?
          Of course, it'll be expensive to build

• natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

As long as they don't have some stupid element like "RP" or "Rune Points" like they did in Rune Factory, I hated that!! I was tired by noon and couldn't do a thing, what a crippling concept. I knew I could replenish it, but it was so early on that I didn't have the resources.

• CJoker3221

Well, making some energizing food with fruits or juice should boost your stamina or the more you work, the more stamina you have

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

That reminds me of how I used to avoid hurricanes in Harvest Moon by having two save files and checking the weather each day. Even though it was kind of an exploit, you could prevent any destruction by reverting to an old save to avoid the hurricane. I think natural disasters are great, but I agree that there needs to be a way to prevent or at least mitigate the damage they cause through gameplay. Otherwise they just feel like you are being punished for no reason.

For example in real life you can cover plants to protect them from frost if you know that a night is going to be unusually chilly.

• CJoker3221

This! This is a great idea, gives us a good reason to check the weather forecast :)

• cicatrice

cicatrice Space Hobo

I certainly agree that punishment for no reason is not the way to go. My suggestion of natural disasters was to create more incentives to save up and work for that greenhouse (or whatever solution makes sense) or build those relationships with the townspeople so they can help when disaster strikes. For instance, I loved befriending the harvest sprites in Harvest Moon so they would take care of my animals during typhoons (in some versions of the game). I’m not sure what a plausible equivalent would be in the SV universe though. I imagine a hurricane wouldn’t occur until the end of summer, so if the game starts in spring, you have time to prepare and gather the resources you’d need to minimize the detriments. And maybe there is some rare item that appears after a hurricane hits, so there is a reason you occasionally don’t mind it happening—especially if you’re sufficiently prepared for its arrival.

Wasselin likes this.
                    • CJoker3221

Maybe during a hurricane, a mini-cutscene will occur when you wake up, your befriended NPC will knock on your door, offering help or something

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

That's a really cool idea to have befriended villagers show up to help and would really make the little town feel like a community.

• CJoker3221

Of course there'll be options where you yourself have to help them ;)
                          Like an NPC asking for help and such

• Lyrael

Lyrael Sandwich Man

I really like this idea. Not sure if CA could implement something like that (not computer-smart enough to know how difficult that would be), but if possible, it'd definitely be very cool - make those relationships feel like they really matter. And even add a touch of drama - what do you do? Do you save those crops you worked so tirelessly to build, or do you sacrifice them to help a friend in need?

• CJoker3221

Although, of course, there are times you voluntarily help them, which can boost relationship even more :)
                              Perfect Ice Breakers :)

• pinkcatmint

pinkcatmint Subatomic Cosmonaut

Helping your fellow townspeople is a great idea, and having them help you in return is awesome too. Maybe if there is a big rainstorm, the river will flood and you have to help place sandbags around people's houses or they could do the same for you? That way, there is a disaster coming, but you can prepare for it, so you still have some control. Plus, it gives you more incentive to be social with your neighbors. The same thing could happen for fires. Maybe the townspeople would show up with a bucket brigade to help put out the fire in your barn or something? Fires could start from lightening strikes. Locusts could attack your crops and your neighbors could show up with smoky torches to scare the bugs away from your crops. There are all sorts of possibilities.

• Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

Fine with crows just no locusts please

• WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I always liked how in Harvest Moon, there was an end of day, but you could continue to work until your stamina ran out. You could even relax in the hot spring to get those few extra points for that large boulder you wanted to move but barely had time to take care of because of other errands during the day. It would be nice to include a resource which will give you a slight boost should you need it, instead of pushing an actual deadline for end of day or next day.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I know that there wouldn't be too many negatives.