Modding Discussion Need partner to work on a big mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ultimate sandvich, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ultimate sandvich

Ultimate sandvich Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi!
    So basically I have this idea for a big mod, adding more of everything, including story.

I started working on this, but since it's loads of work, and I have school to take care off too, it will take ages to do this on my own, and I'd like to have this finished, or at least released, this year.
    Which won't happen if I have to do this alone.

That's why I reached out to the forums. The mod's name will be (Starbound) Afterlife, and it's basically a new story after the main one. I'm still refining the idea and working out the finer details, but I really want this to become an actual thing.

So if anyone is interested in helping me out, feel free to contact me here. At least a tiny bit of modding experience would be nice, but it's mainly the motivation that matters.

Oh and it would also be nice if nobody actually stole this idea, cause ya know, I'm putting quite a lot of work in this.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Well "adding more of everything, including story"' isn't quite so specific enough an idea for anyone to steal :p I'm sure you are thinking more specific(steal-able) ideas than that of course.

I'll throw you an different sort of idea to consider too... Frackin Universe falls under the category of "adding more of everything." It is the most massive SB mod around. Where you could make your independent mod to add the stuff you want, it might be more productive to consider joining the FU team. That would probably help skip over many tedious prerequisite aspects of what you're trying to do and allow you to just generate content right off. You'll have an experienced team from the word go.

The obvious downside is that you wouldn't be calling the shots to the same degree. But given that you have a lot of ambition to accomplish and want to cut down the amount of time it will take, that downside is probably small in comparison.

It would be possible(where in FU isn't going to do something specific you wanted to do) that for those things you could make a sub-mod with FU as a prerequisite.

Note that I'm not actually part of FU and don't speak for them. This is just my opinion.

3. Ultimate sandvich

That's actually a good idea, although I don't think it's that easy to get in FU. But I'll keep it in mind, thanks. The experienced team might help quite a lot tho.

The problem here is that I aim for an extra storyline, what happened after the Ruin? So I'm not quite sure whether that would fit within FU, although I must admit that it's been a while since I last looked at it, and I don't completely remember what it was. But I'll take a look at it tomorrow, when I have time.

4. Ultimate sandvich

And of course I am, but spilling all of it on here would 1. Take a lot of time 2. Not be that smart, considering everyone can read and steal this

5. Mioure

Mioure Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would love to see what you have planned as a sequel to Starbound.

Myself personally, I planned on adding some kind of story to tie my mod into Starbound as a prequel, Non-Canon of course.
    Without much LUA knowledge, its hard to get anything other than Codex, Quest Missions, and Reward Generation.
    A sequel will be a much bigger task than a prequel as in my case, Most of the story landscaping is already gone without a trace.

I hope to see your dreams become a reality :) I enjoy a good read, and I know a few others who would instantly download in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Also if you did post some of your story or screenshots of your work, I'm almost certain if anyone tried to steal it and make it their own, you can ask some kind of support team (depending on the platform they are releasing the mod) to take it down for you and show them a screencap of this thread, or the thread you would've made as proof it was your idea.

Not everyone on the internet is your enemy. You just have to know how to find the ones that aren't.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Well if couldn't hurt to ask the FU guys. The worst they could say is no. As long as you have a decent grasp on modding, they may welcome more content and more ideas. That presumes you decide you'd want to, but it is an option you could explore.

Whatever you might decide upon, you might want to look at what they have. They may have systems built for whatever it is you are wanting to do. In which case you could make it a prerequisite. And you can browse what they have here
    https://github.com/sayterdarkwynd/FrackinUniverse

Well the best thing there is try, fail, learn, try again. Of course examine LUA code, reading documentation, perhaps tutorials. The log to give hints about what you did wrong.

And there are two main aspects to pick up.
    1. General coding. The syntax, and the logic of putting the pieces together to build systems that do what you want to do.

2. Engine specific. Things like message.setHandler() etc. In other words, figuring out how to use code you didn't write (and in many cases can't examine). Reading the vanilla code(or other mod code) paired with the documentation is the best reference for this.

Now if you need some specific script that you know what it needs to do, I might be able to help.

7. Ultimate sandvich

It's not that special really, actually rather generic when I come to think of it. But I might post a part of the story. I'm typing it out first so I have a lead to follow.
    I'll let you know when I do :poke:
    True, but as mentioned above, this is something you can learn, which I'm eager to do. My main struggle is actually the graphical part, since pixel art is learned much slower than coding.

Yeah true ^-^ I'll take a look at everything once I get home

EDIT: I took a look at it now, it really is quite nice. But I don't really think my ideas fit in it, for the biggest part. Some might, but I think I'll keep Afterlife seperated because I think it'll be more enjoyable that way. But thanks for the help anyway!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    xaliber likes this.