1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

My style of play

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Yavor, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

Dear Starbound crew, dear Community,

I am writing to you to express my gratitude for the hundreds of hours of pure joy playing this game. You all have created a pure gold material by synthesis of jump-and-run classics and the so modern building/crafting games. (and if a person who grew up playing Commander Keen, Earthworm Jim and so many others, says this to you, then it is, by God, true as a Morgan Freeman line at the end of the movie). And I am saying that All of you – devs and community, contributed to this game, as the rich variety of mods is ever-growing and getting better and better by the minute. Thank You, all, very kindly for that!

My play-style is not very exciting one. I am a grower. And a builder. I love new colonies on new planets, new gardens of wacky crops (I swear one of my ocumelons has the pink eye), new tenants to frolic with, new pet homes, etc. This does not mean that I am not good at fighting. I completed the game in less than 3 weeks. And I don’t have much time to play. It means that I want to git gut at the more imaginative part of the game. It is pretty new to me. (No, I never played Minecraft. Not that I have anything against it.) I just love to gather my crops, cook something up on the counter and ship it up to the starving children of the inconceivable biomes. I remember when I first planted a chili seed in my garden. I was so excited! I made tons of cash (ahem, I mean pixels) selling my Hot Hot Hotpots to the aforementioned. (Maybe not exactly what a starving apex child may wish for, when he opens up that humanitarian package, but… ) But that is me. This is how I unwind from my workday. I like to grow things. I like to build.

What is your play-style? I am interested to know. Maybe you are a miner? And you like to bury yourself deep underground? Finding riches, ores and stuff like that? Or maybe you are an explorer? And you love to travel in the sky from planet to planet, from star to star? You may be a fighter? You are good at what you do and no one does it better. And you like to get the missions done over and over again? There will be lots for you to do, now that the Vaults are open and ready. What do you think about that?

I am interested to hear from any of you, and for everything you wish to say. Let’s discuss one of our best games. Would love to read about you!

Kind Regards!

Yavor

P.S. As a grower I couldn’t fail to notice that the fish pie is really overpriced. You may find a merchant who sells cheap raw fish for 20 or something pixels. Then all you have to do is to allocate small space and grow a sack of potatoes, then mash them up easy. Fish pie sells for 300, and that is 90 (I think) in the Terramart Shipments, which means easy 70 pixels for almost no amount of work. It makes the rest of the fish recipes feel undesirable as a choice for sale. (Especially fish and chips. And I know that fish and chips ain’t cheap anywhere in London. Or in England for that matter.)

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Moved to Starbound Discussions.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

Yavor likes this.
  3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm... I consider myself a builder. I have played minecraft and quite a few games similar or have some form of building aspect to it. It is what I enjoy most within starbound.

I mainly planet hop looking for planets to colonize. Mark it with a flag at the spot(s) I deem I want to build at or check out later. In certain instances I put a flag down for gathering resources from the dungeons I find, so I don't have to spend too many pixels or need certain material for blocks, if not the blocks themselves. I am also an explorer so sometimes I mark for further exploration, and just set out to explore the universe in all its' glory.

I have yet to mess with the new things on the unstable, as I am awaiting the official release onto stable build. I also have yet to mess around with the cooking system, but plan to once I find and build a large colony. So the colony system is something I enjoy most, and tend to work with the current ones I have at the moment. Which is 3 fold. A tiny one, my first one, and one that is just started, but not much in it. At least where the colony system is concerned.

Mostly I am hopping from planet to planet though, about 1-3 for each session I play. Like you I haven't much time on my hands, and play every so often when I can or well.. in the mood to play. Always in search of a planet that has specifically the procedural mob that I am looking for that will not be hostile on sight. That seems to be a continuous process due to the new hand crafted mobs of 1.0. Still I enjoy doing it, as it gets me to explore more. Even when/if I find such a planet, I will most likely continue to explore the galaxy. I have to build an empire somehow. Growing my colonies throughout the stars, as well any structures I build.

That is basically how I go about the game. Progression I have only reached the glitch castle, and maybe next stable update I will finish it so I can get my hands on a terraformer. Like keeping my options open or flexible so I can expand upon them with ease. :nuruhappy:

Yavor likes this.
  4. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

You have a wonderful playstyle and I can completely relate to it. I also have a bunch of colonies, mostly around my starting planets, but I plan to explore space further on. The best thing about building is the imaginative part, I think. I remember I used mushroom blocks to create a small mushroom house, paint it in white at the stem, red at the cap and spilled some white dots on the cap. It looked pretty well, and I now have some shroom furniture discovered on my workbench, so I can fit in a mushroom guy. I have a big starting colony, lots of tenants, lots of crops, I have another big colony on a jungle world, but it is more high-tech. It looks more like a base, and less like a village. I love it. I have two or three smaller colonies scattered around the stars (one of them is unfinished).
    Thank you for the kind reply!

Regards!

Tamorr likes this.