1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback My Issues With Crafted Weapons

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MysticE, Jun 29, 2017.

1. MysticE

MysticE Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not sure how much this is talked about, as I just came back to these forums after a long hiatus, but I'll give my point of view anyway because I need this off my chest.
    For the most part, I see the archetype sorta thing done well. You got magic, ranged and melee. Pretty standard. All characters can craft melee weapons, which makes them the most basic. But only Novakids can craft ONLY ranged weapons. I see why they did this, but I just don't think it fits. If I wanna play a mainly ranged character, I feel forced to play a novakid, as their crafted rifles and pistols are really really good for their points in the game. Yeah you can always just find stuff in crates, but I never found anything better than what I had crafted at the time.
    And then there's no such thing as crafted magic weapons until endgame.... wot? This really urks me as it makes playing a magic character nearly impossible. Again, you can find magic weapons and stuff in crates and chests but those seem extremely rare. On my current character, I've done lots of exploring and opening chests on a bunch of different planets. I've only ever found 3 staffs and a single wand.
    My solution? Make both crafted melee and ranged weapons available to all races. Also make more crafted variants of magic weapons (iron, tungsten, titanium, etc), and also make those available to all races. This way, players can craft all sorts of types of weapons straight from the beginning, and can experiment with what they like most. And once they've decided on an archetype they like most, they can do the whole accelerator, manipulator, and separator thing.
    This isn't something major, but it sure isn't minor, either. I just hope what I'm saying here is taken into heavy consideration.

LoveMonster and oinkgamer like this.
  2. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

yeah we need more magic

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Personally, if we're talking about redoing crafting, I'd go for making players capable of crafting protectorate versions of all weapon types every tier, in addition to racial weapons, since people really want those back. Maybe with the same with armor.

4. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

We do get bows up until endgame. But I'm assuming you mean you want crafted guns early and mid-game.
    That'd be nice.
    I'd also like to see Magic and "alternative" (chakram, boomerang) crafting, as well as more Throwing weapon support.
    I don't know what happened, but we used to be able to craft throwing weapons once we found one, with only one or two exceptions (and whatever happened to spike grenades??)..

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Spike grenades are still around, but they're rare, presumably because they have a potential maximum DPS (assuming you get as many damage buffs as possible) of 210*4.6*1.3*1.3*1.2*1.3=2547. That's enough to kill the final boss in two seconds, assuming you manage to hit it perfectly with every spike somehow.

6. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

yeah one time i challenged myself to do every boss naked with only nanobandages and spike grenades in the same hand
    It worked (with cheats of course, maybe used 9001) died maybe 10 times though