Digital My first digital painting, Floran.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Amethystumn, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Amethystumn

Amethystumn Pangalactic Porcupine

I drew one of the randomly generated Florans from my game and I've always struggled with digital art but after looking at a tutorial by Tshaoshin I decided to try again. I think this piece could use some improvement in regards to shading but I'm very happy with how it turned out :)
    floranfinal.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out and wanted to share it with you guys. ( I am aware that Florans aren't normally decipted with noses but I like mine with noses.)
    floransketch1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
  2. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

That looks really good!

3. Amethystumn

Thank you :)

4. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Lovely Floran art.!

That fur is gorgeous , but it's clashing with the picture. If you're doing a realistic style, blend it with the whole subject not just with the clothing.

Also, just want to point out that Florans have no nose.

5. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Florans can so have noses. But yeah, realistically they probably wouldn't look so much like human ones.

Master Automan IV likes this.
  6. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

They do have noses? But looking at the official art, I don't see one. Even in the vanilla sprites.

7. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I'm saying they can, not that they do. It would make sense for them to have some way to breathe, perhaps through their skin, but noses are a viable alternative.

8. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Sorry for talking about floran noses in this thread. I'll stop now.

My bad then.
    But for me, it's not a viable alt. Because plants don't have noses in the first place.

EDIT: a weak reasoning, I know.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

Really, crossfang?
    If the artist wants to give a floran a nose let them do it. Different artists have different interpretations on everything. Its very simple.
    By your logic, florans shouldn't have arms, legs, heads, anc the ability to think, move and eat, simply because plants don't have those.

10. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Aaaaaand yet literally all of the (non-mammal) main races in Starbound have mammaries.

11. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Again, at OP, I apologize for this.

Ok, you win. have fun.
    It's just my opinion, I hope you'll just respect that.

I just can't win with you huh.. have it your way pal. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
    I just made an opinion and you're making it a big deal.
    Just gonna block you from now on.. to avoid sparks flying.

If you got a problem with me, pm it.

12. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

I don't have a problem with your opinion. Im just telling YOU to stop making a big deal over an simple artistic decision. No one is making floran noses a big deal except for yourself.

13. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

You're the one making it a big deal. You're even contradicting yourself saying that you don't have a problem with my opinion.
    Because if you don't have a problem, you could've just PMed me. You don't need to say it in public.

I'm not making it a big deal when I'm pointing out what's the obvious. You're the one assuming that I am. Stop reaching man.. just stop it.

And please, like I said.. pm me instead. Let's respect this thread.

EDIT: not gonna entertain your reply in this post. at this point, I see you as a troll. And I don't feed attention-seeking trolls.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. desbro

desbro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Artistic interpretation rocks. Keep on doing you @Amethystumn.

It's important to have your own voice, even if it's not terribly popular.

I like to draw Novakids with actual facial structure and a more genie-ish appeal!

I dig the fur texture, it looks super soft, and your structure is good. Feel free to disregard this next part if you're not quite to that adventurous stage (I know early on in painting, it was all about keeping it simple for me) You should try a little light play, even if it's just a warm or cold overlay! It's amazing how much that brings colors to life.

15. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Geez, a lot of triggered people these days... all I said was the nose thing.
    But yeah, do whatever you want in your art, art is a freedom of expression anyway.

You know, it's better to create one fanart thread rather than creating two or more.
    Let a moderator merge this thread with your previous fanart.
    Just rename your first thread to your desired title. xD

Also, what a beautiful and vibrant art!

Alkanthe likes this.
  16. Amethystumn

Oh, okay, I will do that :) Having the post merged seems like a good ideaX3

Thank you :)

Excuse me @Jonesy could you pretty please merge this post with my other digital art post? :) I would like to help everyone out and not over-clutter the forums and I wanted to make a seperate one with art requests but I dont want to do that until these 2 have been merged :)

Crossfang likes this.