1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

my biggest concern about this game..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by matthieu, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

That... that is perhaps the greatest metaphor for the glitch situation I've yet seen. Well done. Have a like.

2. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't see the issue. The Glitch, as they are, fit the science fiction bill well.

Look at this way; Glitch were programmed with two primary functions:

1) Simulate societal and technological progress. For whatever reason, they hit an infinite loop in the medieval stage of progression and are unable to meet the conditions to break free of said loop. They are stuck there, and as such cannot operate outside the parameters of the stage they are currently on.

2) Reproduction via sourcing resources (presumably) and then building a new Glitch.

Whilst 2) is an important part of the simulation process, it is a separate function from 1) and wholly irrelevant to whatever stage 1) is currently at. They have this knowledge, but are unable to apply it to other areas, because the parameters of 1) don't allow it to occur.

My biggest concern, from a plausibility perspective is wood (not coal :p) as a fuel source for space faring craft.

3. Lenney

Lenney Void-Bound Voyager

Wood and coal both seem ridiculous to me. Does this thing have a steam engine? I'm still not sure why they couldn't just rename all the resources and tools to give them more of a sci-fi vibe.

4. Adjicio

Adjicio Void-Bound Voyager

Loved this perspective on the matter, well done. I think the Glitch lore is fantastic, I love seeing a take on AI that isn't so cookie-cutter. It makes perfect sense to me, they're composed of advanced technology but were never programmed to innovate, and so they never do. I think it makes them much more interesting.

5. Lenney

And yet one could argue that the medieval times were one where human innovation was at it's heights, at least in terms of art.

6. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like what, trees are going to drop wood, dirt is going to be dirt, stone is going to be stone, etc. The game is sci-fi as it is, no need for them to make it overly sci-fi to the point that it is ridiculous.

7. Lenney

Literally the only reference you could provide for that statement is planet Earth. I'm astounded you didn't realize this. I'm not asking for "overly sci-fi", just sci-fi. Dirt, trees, etc are only on Earth (for all we know). I was just hoping for a little innovation that's all.

8. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

You are thinking from a human perspective. A "free-thought" perspective. The Glitch don't have this. They can't decide to do something because they are programmed to do specific things. They don't have a choice. They can't have a choice unless they break free. And then they become "Outcasts".

Silibus likes this.
  9. MyLittleBurger

So dirt isn't going to be dirt even if the name for it could likely be different based on each race? Tell me, what sci-fi name would you give for wooden planks?

10. Cup Knight

Cup Knight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the current Glitch lore. I feel like it gives them significant uniqueness. I'd vote against changing it.

11. Honelith

Honelith Orbital Explorer

I personally like it alot, the lore behind it is good. ;)

Lallykins likes this.
  12. Ironclad-Oni

Ironclad-Oni Poptop Tamer

This - it's like the Glitch have had their ability to innovate removed; either the coding that allowed them to create and think of new things is deactivated or even missing entirely. Where we look at a problem and can come up with an infinite number of solutions to it, the Glitch have a set number of solutions dictated to them by their programming. They don't look at a musket and think to make it better by rifling the barrel because they literally can't, it's beyond the scope of their programming.

Silibus and Xander like this.
  13. Lenney

Something besides 'wood'. It's in the same vein as using a pickaxe instead of the tool that lets you Manipulate Matter and upgrading it. Why not just make a tool that works like a pickaxe but give it a cool name like Mining Rod, or whatever?

14. MyLittleBurger

Really that makes it sci-fi? That sounds more like something that the Florans would name it. And why mining, or stick? I those sound very Earth like words. They need to be more sci-fi like.

WaffulzRAwesum and Lenney like this.
  15. Lyra Bennett

Lyra Bennett Astral Cartographer

One of the reasons why I like Starbound is how its races are different from the usual. Making the Glitch smart and the Apex dumb would be very cliched and boring.

16. Lenney

Admittedly it was a poor analogy, but just as poor as his argument. I get lazy sometimes. lol

17. Juicymarmalade

Juicymarmalade Poptop Tamer

I personally think it's part of what makes the lore so unique. I really like the game's lore even if it isn't always logical. The backstory behind the races are especially interesting. The apex being authoritarian Nazi monkeys, the Glitch being futuristic robots stuck in the Middle Ages, etc. The Glitch were created by an ancient alien race and keep in mind the word "ancient". Not all aliens have to be futuristic so maybe there were some in the Middle Ages.

18. Zreks

Zreks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

not sure if retarded or stupid or just dumb or troll or bored or knowitall... this thread is like using salt and lemonade juice in coffee.. it just doesnt make too much sense.

19. Lenney

Makes more sense than robots on horseback. I really just wish you guys would admit that you just want to see robots on horseback. I would be fine with that.

20. Zreks

Zreks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if you are going to argue with the lore of the game, please go somewhere else, or make a game yourself, didnt you read what others said...

they are robots that cannot evolve further and are stuck in the medieval age of humans because they were built that way.

Go argue over the plot of batman or something, this is the way the developers meant it to be, who are you to argue with that,

if someone writes a book they are not gonna take anyones ideas into consideration and thats what makes good books.

If this doesnt feel right for you, go play something else.