1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer in Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by PillowSyndrome, Apr 28, 2013.

1. PillowSyndrome

PillowSyndrome Starship Captain

I'm sure this question has been asked already, but will the multiplayer be a lot easier to connect and play with friends?

2. xWild WarPig

xWild WarPig Big Damn Hero

that's a GREAT question.... I'm not certain.

3. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

As opposed to...?

Aloron, Lugubrious, Serenity and 4 others like this.
  4. TornOrder

TornOrder Void-Bound Voyager

They've said multiple times that its going to be extremely easy to play multiplayer with friends.

Tom Baker likes this.
  5. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

You're likely using the wrong tense but form this I'd assume you'd be referring to Terraria?
    If so, there isn't much information on this out right now, although one would assume that it would be in a similar manner to Terraria, although easier.

6. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

By easy, I REALLY hope it has a server browser, srsly.
    Probably the Steam version has it.

SuperMann and xWild WarPig like this.
  7. Loopie

Loopie The Number of the Minibeast

I don't think it'll have server browsing. I think it's just like Minecraft or Terraria and be like; Select multiplayer --> Enter IP and password if needed ---> connect and download stuff ---> Spawn. I don't see why they would use server browsing because of the lack of experience with it myself. If it provides something better place do explain, cause I think that getting the IP and just entering it will be faster than searching through a list. I would rather look on the forum for a open server with a set type of rules, only because when the game or beta is out I wouldn't want the forums to go dead.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

We can't really tell until the release, but they're trying to make it as simple as possible. Besides, they're hardly going to deliberately make it damn near impossible, are they?

9. V For Vendetta

V For Vendetta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If it's the same thing as Terraria, I wouldn't really care. Because it only took 1 minute to install Hamachi and another minute to connect to the client. But, if there was a server browser, then that would be great too, but I'm ok with what ever.

10. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really can't be bothered to manually look up an IP on the internet, I need a server browser dommot. Also, I loath using a separate program do something that should've been in the game in the first place.
    [Starbound Devs better put in voice chat, or I'm gonna be upset :confused: ]

PillowSyndrome likes this.
  11. pythonxz

pythonxz Industrial Terraformer

Most developers won't bother with in-game voice chat, because no one uses it. They use TS, Vent, Mumble, etc.

Zair likes this.
  12. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sometimes it's better to roll with the solutions that already exist rather than to build your own. Ventrilo/Teamspeak/all those guys already have gamers' VoIP solutions worked out - heck, Blizzard threw voice into WoW and everyone still uses the third-party programs instead because they're so much better at it.

13. AirplaneRandy

Well, I just hope they implement a voice chat anyways, again, the reason why I would like a server browser is because I randomly choose the servers with the most players. And with that many players [32/32], we can't really be bothered to use a VoIP as it will be too much of a hassle having to find this IP address from a server who cryptically hidden it from outsiders. And on top of that, I'll end up having to install several different kinds of VoIP programs because all servers use different kinds. Honestly, just throw in a cheap crummy in-game voice chat, it'll make us lazy players happy. [And improve the in house VoIP over time after release]

14. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

That logic doesn't work well with video games (or a lot of software, actually). Let's use Starbound as an example. Some people will want to voice chat with others, so devs put in voice chat. Some other people want to record their games for a LP so they can put it on Youtube. Great, let's add video recording too. Other people want to have an item that plays custom music from their music library. Okay, guess we're adding a media player in Starbound too. Some more players want an in-game trading hub, so now we're gonna add a feature that lets you search for people selling a specific item across many different servers... What happens after all of this is that Starbound is not a game so much as it is a conglomeration of multimedia features with a game included. It would have been so much easier (and would get the beta out faster, hint hint) to just have the players use Ventrilo, Fraps, Itunes/WMP, and fan sites to serve the purpose of the "features" I mention above.

TBH, I was quite surprised when the devs announced Starbound would be able to livestream for Twitch, though it at least makes a bit of sense since there's an API that make integration pretty easy.

Boese likes this.
  15. AirplaneRandy

Is in-game VoIP that far fetched in a multiplayer game? I could probably add that Starbound could be ported to consoles with the inability to have another program running in the background, how exactly are you gonna be able to chat with strangers?

16. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Plenty of games have got by without it - and if a server really wants to support local voip, a Message of the Day-type banner could easily point to one administered by the server host.

As for console ports, I'd expect the Xbox at the very least to offer its own solution. XBox Live has voice support, doesn't it? Means the game doesn't need to worry about it.

17. AirplaneRandy

Eh, the developers would probably have to do a bit of programming to make that Live voice chat accessible in game. Not to mention voice indicators and what not.

18. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

/me tugs at collar nervously

Awesomized and Jonesy like this.
  19. Saint

Saint Contact!

Learn to use the search button. It is much faster then making threads and replying to them.

20. Bloody<3

Bloody<3 Big Damn Hero

i just dont get it... i for my own will play with my friends like i do with my counter strike and L4D2 team on our own Teamspeak. And we always will play on our own server because no random public server shizzle is satisfying me. And i want my building progress to be save on our server.