Announcement Multi Language Open Beta Available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katzeus, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khandi

Khandi Orbital Explorer

Just in case you are still interested in our help ;-)

Translation Feedback
    Language: German
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Build Version: 1.2.20/1.2.25

Which part of the translation do you think is wrong, and why?
    How do you think it should be fixed, and why?

-- (When checking the Scarecrow and you have not encountered any crows yet)
    "Ich bin bisher auf keine Krähen getroffen." Bad grammar.

I do not suggest any complete sentence (Blah... copyright... blah).
    Just let me say this - if you use "Ich bin bisher auf" then use "gestossen."
    Or else you can use "Ich habe bisher" and "getroffen." No "auf". Your translation team will understand/get this.
    Either way - "Ich bin... auf... getroffen" ist wrong.

-- Seltene Saat (Rare Seed)
    "Im Herbst aussähen"

"aussähen" is wrong. It should be "aussäen" No suggestion, it is a mistake.

-- (the day before the Egg Festival)
    Sam.de-DE/spring_12: "Mein kleiner Bruder freut sich immer total auf Festivitäten. Er reden schon den ganzen Tag
    über die Eiersuche morgen." #!String

"Er reden..." is wrong (declination). "Er redet..." is correct.

-- Maru.de-DE
    -(ENG) Thu_01_02: "You're right, but I love a challenge!$h" #!String
    Thu_01_02: "Du hast Recht, aber ich liebe eine Herausforderung!$h" #!String

In this case we do not say "a challenge", we say "the challenge", therefore it should be "... die Herausforderung!"
    Or else you can use the plural and translate it into "...liebe Herausforderungen!"
    Your choice, your copyright.

-(ENG) Fri: "Hey, sorry if I seem cranky (...) I had to sort patient records for four hours straight! " #!String
    Fri: "Hey, entschuldige wenn ich gerade (...) Ich musste für vier Stunden durchgehend Patientenakten sortieren! " #!String

Similar error. In German it is not "for four hours" but "four hours long" So it should be "...musste vier Stunden lang durchgehend..."
    (Our language, our grammar, our syntax. Your translation, your mistake. Sorry ;-) )

-- Leah.de-DE
    (ENG) summer_Sat: "The flowing water keeps my house a little bit cooler in summer.#$e#I can't tolerate heat very well." #!String
    summer_Sat: "Das fließende Wasser hält mein Haus im Winter ein wenig kühler.#$e#Ich komme mit Hitze nicht wirklich gut klar." #!String

Your team translated "Summer" into "Winter". Do I have to make a suggestion? ;-)

-- Weather
    -The day before the Spirit's Eve Festival the weather forecast says
    "Morgen wird es klar und sonnig... Perfektes Wetter für das Geisternacht!"
    I think we had a different translation for Spirit's Eve Festival before. Something like "das Fest der Schrecken"?
    "Geisternacht" is MUCH better (please keep it!), but you have to change the "das"(neutral) into "die"(feminine). Die
    Geisternacht is feminine.
    No suggestion, just a little mistake.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

They are!

I know some people were upset that they couldn't just use fan translations, but that wasn't their fault. There are real legal reasons they can't, even if it would be more convenient if they could accept them.

Chucklefish created this thread because they care about the players. They could have just released quick translations, like many other companies do. Instead they chose to listen to community feedback and improve the game, even if it takes months longer to release that way. The main people who lose if we stop helping are the players who'll get poorer translations.

I'm thankful to Chucklefish for caring about the community. :)

pvmambembe likes this.
      • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

It just seems a bit strange that they ask for suggestions and then tell everyone, that they can't use it anyway. So where is the point?
        And there haven't been any language fixes lately. No answers on questions relating this and only a few mistakes were corrected.

I also don't see the point in comparing to some really bad examples. Successful people don't say that they were better than someone who is really bad, they try to improve.

This is just my opinion on that. I liked to help but the regarding post from Chucklefish wasn't motivating. And since then there was no feedback to translations, which is kinda sad, because lots of people try to really help.

• GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

It's not that they can't use suggestions. They can't use fan translations. If you want to point out a line that has a mistake and point out what the mistake is so they can go in and fix it themselves that's fine but if you as a fan translate the lines they can't legally use that translation. Suggestions yes, you doing the work for them no.

For comparison it would be like an author asking for advice on part of their book but rather than saying hey this part causes the story to drag, or this part seems unnecessary, or this part is contradicting this earlier part people just flat out re-write entire paragraphs and post it expecting the author to just use that.

The simple fact is that legally they have to do the translation themselves. Getting suggestions or having mistakes pointed out so they can go back and fix it is perfectly fine but they can't let non-employees fix the things for them.

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

When working with translators, you're often working on their schedule. It's why they've been working on programmatic fixes right now.

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

I only wish the translators had the same work ethic as the people at Chucklefish. They announced that they were teaming with a Japanese gaming company to do the translations, and it seems the Japanese translations are the only ones without problems.

I wouldn't underestimate the level of dissatisfaction among non-English speaking players... the Spanish-speaking translators on the Spanish wiki are discussing/debating at length over what should be capitalized ("Should it be like it is in-game or should it be the way it is in the real Spanish-speaking world?") The Chinese-speaking players who've commented in this thread seem to have given up on using the beta version. At first there were several Russian-speaking translators working on the Russian-language wiki, but now.... it's a ghost town.

I say this not to discourage Chucklefish, but to gently remind them that it's never too late to hire a legal team to enforce a contract. I *know* Chucklefish and ConcernedApe want to get it right, and the players certainly do as well. But the translators... um... well... there's quite a bit of evidence indicating that they don't. Or, possibly, that they can't because they just don't have the resources. Maybe they had good intentions when they accepted the job. But we know where that paved road leads.

I have some experience in corporate negotiations, but you *would* have to pay me for those services. ;)

So, now that I've butted in to matters I know very little about and given unwanted advice, I will close with something positive for Chucklefish: You will get it right eventually! People *will* love it! It's just how you choose to get there that makes all the difference.

p.s. "All your base are belong to us." <-- Just don't be that game.

Yolanda_Qingxu likes this.
              • Rauchschwalbe

I know, I read their post. But they specifically asked for suggestions how to translate. This just seems a bit strange.

If we put our translations under CC (open version) they should be able to use it?

• Khandi

Khandi Orbital Explorer

Weather forecast at the day of the Luau
                  (German, PC Windows7, v1.2.20/1.2.25)
                  EDIT: Sorry, It's not the forecast, it's Living off the Land

The word "ich" is divided

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
                  • Khandi

Khandi Orbital Explorer

Operating System: Windows 7

What happened? Did the game crash, freeze / lock up, or just do something wrong (e.g. use the wrong character's dialogue)? What did you expect to happen here?

One of the dialog/information boxes at the Traveling Cart is not fixed on the left side but following the cursor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What were you doing in the game at the time?

Just stepping by and checking the offers.

Have you been able to trigger the bug or crash again by repeating what you did the first time?

Yes. It is unique to this box (Gotoro Empire). All other dialoges are fixed.

• Khandi

Khandi Orbital Explorer

Operating System: Windows7

[​IMG]
                      What happened? Did the game crash, freeze / lock up, or just do something wrong (e.g. use the wrong character's dialogue)? What did you expect to happen here?

The information box of "Edelwicke" (Sweet Pea) is not big enough for all the information. Same for "Narzisse" (Daffodil) and some others I did not record.

Have you been able to trigger the bug or crash again by repeating what you did the first time?

Yes, it happens all the time. (Travelling Cart and Inventory)

• niallquinn

niallquinn Poptop Tamer

Danke, Khandi, dass du die Grammatikfahne hochhältst! ;-)

[Thank you, Khandi, for standing up for grammar. ;-)]

Khandi likes this.
                        • GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

What part of ILLEGAL do you not understand. They are not allowed by law to use translated lines done by fans or reworked code made by fans. They simply are not allowed. It is against the law. That is why they asked specifically for suggestions. You point out the mistake, explain why it's a mistake, and they go back and fix it themselves. That way they are doing the work themselves but are still getting feedback to help locate any errors that ended up in the game.

It's the same as with bug reporting. You report what the bug is and how it likely should be working and the dev goes in and fixes it, however if someone were to go in and rework the code to fix it and send that code to the dev the developer is not legally allowed to use it because there are all sorts of laws involving accreditation, compensation, and potential to be sued.

It's not strange it's the law, they are following it, end of story.

• DerBonk

DerBonk Industrial Terraformer

The problem is that reporting translation problems is not like a bug report. A user does not have access to the code and thus can only guess how the it needs to be changed to create the expected behavior. The behavior itself cannot be copyright protected, just the code, so users suggesting what the behavior should be is no problem (although patents may play a role, but I am not well versed in patent law). With translations, the text is protected, but also the thing that people would make suggestions for. Thus, they would suggest an alternative version of the text. If you want to be 150% sure not to create any copyright issues under any circumstances, not even remotely, you cannot use any suggestions. So people could only point to a line and say "I think this does not sound good." From what I can gather, people feel that this is not helpful or interesting to do, and that it will not necessarily lead to good results (I think this has all been explained). This is also what Chucklefish have said, a suggestion for how a line should be translated amounts to (albeit very short) fan translation and cannot be used.

There are ways to use fan translations in the game and still follow the law, I am pretty sure (I've done some research on copyright, so I'm not just guessing), but it could become complicated, messy, and would require a fair bit of organizing. I volunteered my help in getting that stuff done for the German fan translation, as I was a team lead for that, but apparently that is not the road Chucklefish wants to take (which is fine). The problem, of course, is that the community does not care about any of that. There was this half-finished fan translation, then an official translation is announced to come out within a very short time frame, the fan translations are discontinued and don't work anymore, the official translation is delayed for months, the betas appear to be somewhere between halfway decent and bad. Understandably, people are somewhat frustrated (at least in the German community, which has also come to a standstill by now). I think it's easy to understand both sides. No easy solutions now, unfortunately.

• Rauchschwalbe

No need to be rude. Just read the first post from Chucklefish about the translation feedback, they ask specifically about suggestions how to fix the mistake. So maybe you should read first before beeing nasty.

And by the way, I asked about Creative Commons, which you simply ignored. But hey, rather be rude instead of answering.
                              Derbonk answered you too.
                              I worked in a software developement company, so yeah, I know how it works, don't need an answer like that.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Unfortunately not. That would mean you own the translations and provide Chucklefish with a license to use them, but Chucklefish needs to own the translations so they can set their own license terms. To legally provide translations, you would need to be a Chucklefish employee or contractor (like Playism, which is providing the translations).

Rauchschwalbe likes this.
                                • Rauchschwalbe

Thank you very much for the information.
                                  That`s too bad.
                                  This really makes things difficult. :/

• paintingtheroses

paintingtheroses Void-Bound Voyager

This bug happens in the English version of the beta as well. I've noticed it for daffodil and sweet pea.

Unrelated, many of the flowers in the inventory do not display numbers correctly (numbers are missing their black shadow, making them only white and difficult to see). This is in all inventory and chest contexts. So far, I've noticed it with most flowers (tulips and blue jazz in the screenshot) besides forageables.

Attached Files:

• tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

Would you mind checking which build of the game you're using? This looks suspiciously like a bug we already fixed during the beta. The version number is displayed on the bottom left of the about screen. :)

EDIT: No, I was able to reproduce this just now. It is related to an earlier bug, but not the same. An upcoming build will fix this. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
                                      • tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

v1.2.26 changes
                                        • Left/right gamepad controls can be used to move the color picker now (using triggers for this was unintuitive)
                                        • Fixed certain items (e.g. tulips and blue jazz) having their counts rendered with an unbordered font
                                        • Fixed lack of space for energy information on certain items, including Sweet Pea
                                        • Audio is loaded earlier on in initialization now, which might resolve some startup crashes
                                        For reference, here are the changes in the previous builds:

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.