1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Move farm animals?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by pamput, Jul 25, 2016.

1. uxlapogi

uxlapogi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I made the mistake of placing a fluffalo on my ship. ._.

Please let me capture it with a pod. T_T

2. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

:mwahaha:

it's lonely, i think it need friends.

3. Starsweeper

Starsweeper Void-Bound Voyager

I fail to see this as a mistake. Our fluffalo overlords deserve the most lavish of surroundings in which to roam. This, ofcourse, should include their own personal interplanetary space cruiser (AKA your ship). You should give the fluffalo some mooshi girlfriends.

In related, but much more useful and serious news, I'd suggest waiting to hatch your eggs until you have appropriate stalls built to house your livestock and a chicken coop.
    I like using stone for the floor, as it's easy to clean, and then placing walls at intervals.
    Said walls should have two vertical stacked blocks from the floor upwards, a space large enough for you to fit through, and then continue on up into the ceiling. For decorative purposes; place a block or two of thatch as "hay" next to these "stall walls", in the manner most aesthetically pleasing to yourself (I usually just place one on the right hand side after the animal is grown), and then on the far side of the "stall" place one of those blocks of wood that looks like two sticks crossed to make an "x" shape with a sod or thatch block on top to serve as a manger.
    Do note that, as they are much smaller, infant animals are able to climb out if you place single blocks next to the stall dividing blocks. It is a good idea to wait until they are adults before placing such decorative items.
    Those concerned for their animals welfare might also include a line of thatch as bedding and a single lantern as a light.

For your coop, I'd suggest building it on wicker struts and using the floran's primitive platform inside of the coop as a base on which to place blocks of thatch as nests. The chickens won't use them, obviously, but I do like to give them the choice. Mine seem to prefer bedding down in their covered yard.
    I constructed it using the same x-shaped wooden blocks as a roof attached to the coop and for a background wall. The bottom two wall blocks are stone and the x-shaped blocks are interspersed with plant matter and flowers to give it a trellis look. This helps keep aggressive monsters from murdering my hard-earned chickens and also works well for the barn animals if you prefer to go free range over stalls.

A few piles of hay, some buckets, farm tools and other agricultural paraphernalia helps to complete the look.

4. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

Heh, I did something similar, spent like 8 hours manicuring acceptable stables.

plopped down the eggs and the silly things grew up in less than 5 minutes.

anti-climatic to say the least.

Should have just crammed a bunch of eggs into a 6x5 dirtbox with a hole for right-click spam.

5. zebrapoe

zebrapoe Big Damn Hero

I made the mistake of placing a mooshi on my ship so... You-you don't want them together?

6. Drakaden

Drakaden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*Start music tune* Today i wanted to pull my cow... Not able to pull my cow.

7. Quilynn

Quilynn Space Hobo

I found a solution. It requires another egg, and a bomb.

Bonus: I got a silicon board from it!

8. Shachar2

Shachar2 Void-Bound Voyager

you can move them by placing fence gates one after the other.
    couldn't find any other solution

9. Commander Zen

Commander Zen Void-Bound Voyager

I second this. A few days ago some livestock wandered into the apartments near their field. After much hassle I ended up using the matter manipulator to bury them under the house and I... uh... kind of... bombed them... into oblivion... ahem.

10. Ferayn

Ferayn Void-Bound Voyager

I decided that the best place to put my fluffalo and chicken, was on my ship. Now I can't get rid of them.... Any ideas?

11. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

use the relocator. The new item that was recently added to the farming crafting table. Granted you would have to craft it first, but it allows moving around livestock among other things. :nuruhappy:

Sir_Djak likes this.
  12. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

Def just /spawnitem rarestaff until you get one with attraction field special. Works.

Tamorr likes this.
  13. SamuFinland

SamuFinland Phantasmal Quasar

It's great that they added the item to move them.
    Is that update out yet?

14. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

1.1 for starbound has been out for quite a good bit. i think a few weeks, almost a month now...

15. Steamarrowe

Steamarrowe Void-Bound Voyager

So ... ... I'm trying the 'nice' method of just making their space scarcer and scarcer to budge them in the right direction. Freakin' beast just keep running against the wall. (I'm trying to move them from right to left, if that's not clearly enough from the screenshot.) It works, but it takes a lot of patience and I'm lucky I only need to move them ~~1 screen. Animals sleep at night and won't move until morning, did you know?! Ugh... :cato3o::catbleh:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  16. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Like what was said before, use the Relocator to move the farm animals around, it also works on all the background critters.

I have been collecting the critters and putting them on my ship where I have my farm, and some times I have to move a farm animal out of the way to access something, and the Relocator greatly helps (Now only if we had something like that for crew members, they get in the way a lot).

17. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

-Well you can do it the hard way with repulsing or attracting force shield with staffs or the adaptable crossbow from the secret vendor of the outpost/Ark.
    Screenshot_20170220-151638.png Screenshot_20170220-151549.png

-Or you can take them with the relocator; a technological advance for every little nomad farmers or biologists. Its a small pistol shaped gun that can transport 3 critters/fishes/Earth animals/birds/fluffalos/mooshis
    Screenshot_20170220-151415.png
    -Just right click on them to pick them up and letf click them somewhere else! Even in your ship ! Or another planet! Or a lava pool :disshappy:.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017