Modding Discussion More Hotbar Buttons

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Xylia, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, it's been a month+ after CF said they changed the modding API to allow us to change the "hotbar size" which I assume that means more buttons?

But yet, I've not seen any mods that do this yet, neither here, nor on Steam... so what gives?

I also haven't seen any bigger inventory/more bags mods either, despite that supposedly being a thing too. I'd have thought that people would be all over that.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The only thing we can add are more sets of 6 slots. At least that is the only part that does anything.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Why would they bother to mention that they added stuff that doesn't actually work, then? That makes no sense.

Pretty dumb to say "You can do this now!" if you really can't.

This has been keeping me from playing, because I don't want to start a character now, get invested in it and then a week or two down the line they fix it so that it actually DOES work, but then I'd have to start my character over, because for some corky reason, they can't code it so that old characters can install a hotbar mod and still be playable, lol.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I duno why they said you could. I tried messing with it to add more inventory slots, but it just didn't work, and adding more hotbar slots, last I saw it "worked" but the UI obviously wouldn't match up.

As for the last bit. The UI is rather dug into the core of the game, so it would make sense that a UI mod like that wouldn't work out of the box on any existing character. Would be nice if the UI worked the same as the rest of the interfaces, had configs of their own and whatnot, but oh well. Maybe it was meant to be more of a "Hey, we are expanding UI modding spport" rather than an "it works" announcement?

5. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

It is possible to increase the hotbar size, but it comes with some major flaws which is probably why there aren't any mods (the same flaw you described earlier on).

See my post on Reddit for more information on how to accomplish what this picture shows (a 7th slot without any UI tweaking to make it look proper), and what flaws come with it. Of course, it is possible to tweak the UI to match the actual slots.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/...se_of_you_whove_complained_about_the/daxppm7/
    [​IMG]

As for the inventory, it is most likely a very similar story.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

What I'd like is to not just have more bars to swap through, but have more buttons on screen at once. Basically have a second row intimately close to the top row. Nothing added in the MM spots/center(but pull it down slightly to center it). I think that would be immensely useful and look reasonably good too. I haven't tried my hand at GUIs yet and I'm not sure I want to get into it.

As for starting characters, well if nothing else you can just take their stuff, put it somewhere, take down the coordinates. Then get their stuff on a new character if needed. Quests of course you'd need to redo.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I don't understand why CF just didn't add the option to customize how many slots per bar and get rid of all the fancy frills and have JUST the buttons themselves free-floating. Would that have been so hard to do?