1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Mods that cheats your Starbound game

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RockyTV, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

I don't cheat your starbound game! (lulz)

I actually have a heavily modded game, but also play online a bit. I don't really agree with using modded stuff online unless everyone has said mod. Though in single player you are playing the game t have fun. If you want to make 1 Dirt = 200 fuel because exploring the game is fun for you, then by all means do so.

Soli likes this.
  2. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I hate cheating. I know people who go to the store and buy chicken already cooked, but when I'm hungry for chicken, I wait for an egg to hatch, then I raise that chicken up with grain I grew myself, then I slaughter, pluck, and clean that chicken and cook it myself! I don't take any shortcuts. No way, not me!

3. Luissen

Luissen Void-Bound Voyager

One player had to be banned from my server because he found the "tribes ascend" mod and insisted on throwing fractal grenades all over the place. These grenades were OP as all hell, as well as lagged the server from all the projectiles they spawn. He claimed he should be allowed to have them because I had installed some cosmetic mods on the server. He may enjoy instakilling everything, but I don't.

Cheating has value for testing and screwing around, but that in of itself reminds me of one person who 'ruined' minecraft for himself by burning out in creative mode.

4. Daashi

Daashi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe I am nothing but a dirty cheater, but sometimes I do cheat on games. I spawn items in when playing Minecraft, I play on peaceful because it is my go to AFK game, so I occasionally need a hostile mob drop. And I bought and used the Invincibility Cheat for Lego Star Wars, for some strange reason playing as Princess Leia and walking up to Storm Troopers and bitch slapping them until they fell to bits was endless entertaining to me.

If you are talking about cheating on a SP game, then why do you care? But if you are talking about MP sever, than yeah that shouldn't fly.

5. Xilo

Xilo Subatomic Cosmonaut

thats the thing with game mods, some add some in that help balance a game that the devs either didnt think needed balance or dont think they should balance. a good example is Skyrim it has a ton of fan made mods, some game breaking, some intresting, some add balance to important systems in the game like Magic using in general.

its too early to say whats fair and what isnt (1 copper ore for a ferozium tech upgrade is a pretty lame cheat mod anyway) until then its up to the player to decide how much they wanna explore and what conveniences they'd like to add. like i'd like to see a pixel compressor that gives no penalty to the cube its produces (i worked hard for my pixels i wanna keep them without a cost of pixels greater than if i died.)

if you dont wanna play with people who took the easy road to get what they got thats your choice, but everyone can make the choice to take the road right for them.

6. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

I plan on getting cheat mods to get to tier 2 AKA when Starbound finally becomes great.

My other reason is to test more endgame beta stuff.

Falling Tide likes this.
  7. Falling Tide

Falling Tide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am guessing That the Creative Mode mod has been mentioned at least once... But I really don't care what mods other people use. The point of modding is making it a game that you would like to play MORE. IF you don't agree with a certain mod no one is forcing you to download it. And yes it could break the game. But not for you if someone else has it...

Its not like the items are already in the game. You have to go out of your way to Download something else that changes the game as it is.
    So please don't use the "Your Argument is weak because your saying you to don't want it don't use it"

yup or when that next reset happens, and you don't want to go through the Tiering up again lol

cyberspyXD likes this.
  8. Kriminal

Kriminal Big Damn Hero

I don't care what people do with their games as long as they aren't messing up the experience for other people on a server, unless of course owner is fine with it.

9. Falling Tide

I am sure that servers or future mods for servers will be able to disable certain mods, as for now I can see your problem. If I joined your server (and I have a lot of mods right now) I would just not use them, except for my cosmetic mods for hair and skins colors/ extra costumes and stuff that doesn't affect gameplay.

And yes I know that not all people are like me and that thought line wont work for a good hand full of other people

10. Normo

Normo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't really looked at the mods yet, but I wouldn't really care if someone used cheaty ones to do stuff like this. Although looking through some of the posts it seems like mods one person downloads carries over to servers? If that's the case that could cause huge problems for stuff like PVP, or even normal Starbound. I assume they'll be a way to fix that in the near future though.

11. Falling Tide

Yeah at first I didn't think mods carried over, but since this game is more of a bunch of clientsides... everyone can have different mods. In the future I am sure there will be support or server mods that will stop this.

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I find this argument childish at best.

The only thing I can agree on is - servers should enforce a mod standard. So server admins puts everyone on the same playing field.
    But the game it self does not need that universaility.

Mods allow people to play as they want.
    If some one wants to destroy a planet with 1 hit of a MM good for them.
    If they host a server which allow others do the same. Great.

But that is how they choose to play.
    ---
    The only issue is when a player modifies their own client and plays on a server. So they are getting a different experience then what the server sets as a standard.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  13. Falling Tide

My point or the point I have tried to make, Exactly!!

14. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Mods aren't too bad so far.
    People who can modify their game are worse, once, some guy invited me and came into my ship, he made himself invisible and took a rapid fire rocket launcher, that could seemingly destroy blocks instantly, obviously with 0 energy cost, and destroyed every single item i had placed in the ship.

15. Falling Tide

Not all people who mod there game are bad....

And I hope they make a player protection that only allows you to modify YOUR ship, meaning blocks and items in chests.

16. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

I didn't mean that.
    I'm definitely OK with modding, there's a buttload of cool things you can do.
    But there are people who mod only for the purpose of annoying others, and they are the worst kind of players.

Falling Tide likes this.
  17. Falling Tide

Yeah I like to mess with people on occasion but never screw with there stuff unless they let me

And I have seen a few of those people...

18. gabbo13

gabbo13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

on my singleplayer i have a cheat mod, only reasoning i have is because with the wipes and restarts i want to get back up to where i was finding things out for when v1.0/released version comes out.

if i were to play multiplayer on someones server the added enjoyment is playing with friends doing stuff together i have no need to cheat.

in closing its how i play "My" game it affects no-one but me unless on a multiplayer server which is between 0-20% (dont like much people)

19. klipwc

klipwc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You dont need mods to mess with people lol. I admit i had fun screwing around on terraria servers with legit ways to troll people. My only requirement was i dont loot their stuff or destroy their houses. Or the majority of the land since i am a builder myself and knew how hard it was to build.

I did lay landmines, explosives + push button all over the place. obviously in places out of reach of their houses, where they hardly come across but when they do its epic.
    I did connect mimic statues with a 1 sec timer near their spawn and watch the horror.
    and a hell lot of other crap... Yes i admit to all these! They were innovative ways to kill people or annoy people without touching their buildings or mass teraforming their land.
    After I did these i did have a good laugh with them though so i dont know if its trolling. <since its people i know>

So i dont see why you need to "oppose mods" to stop people from trolling... hell they just need to line your home world that you worked on with a propeller at spawn and you are screwed no? They dont need that fancy matter manupulator / world destroyer bomb to wreck havoc.

20. Viggo2443

Viggo2443 Void-Bound Voyager

He is just trying to be pro he is just ego