Question .modpak files turning up as blender or notepad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thecloudbacon, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Thecloudbacon

Thecloudbacon Void-Bound Voyager

So when ever I download something that is not a zip file it is supposed to be a file but instead, it is a blender or notepad file. This happened when my brother forced me to download a undertale soundtrack mod and he has a mac and I have an Alienware console alpha that runs windows. So it didn't show up the thing that he uses for his files and he tried to change it and he put it on blender (for some stupid reason). Then he put it on notepad, and now when ever I get a .modpak file it will show up as blender or notepad. Someone please figure out what is going on and help me. Thank you

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

It's an "issue" with the file extension and the associated programs. Whenever you download a file windows doesn't know by it's extension it will ask you with which program you want to open it. Mostly the "remember my decision" thingy is marked and when you select notepad windows will open it ever and ever again with notepad until you change the default program. You can remove the association in the registry but i'm pretty sure there are also tools somewhere in the web you can use for it.
    But you should keep in mind that wrong editing in the registry can cause serious problems!

The mods will work even with a (wrong) associated program because the file content doesn't change. It's just a visual thingy for the user. Although it can be a bit annoying the functionality isn't reduced.

~ Iris ~

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It is really simple.

Right click on the file -> properties -> Opens With [ Press change ] - Then Choose what ever program you want it to open with.

If you want to remove a file association completely you can use
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/unassociate-file-types-windows-7-vista/

- Moved to General Discussion since this issue has nothing to do with the game, but a question on operating system functionality in general.

4. Thecloudbacon

your wrong it doesn't work "with a (wrong) associated program"

5. Thecloudbacon

I'm on windows 10 and ive tried that and it no work

6. Thecloudbacon

you both did not help me because they dont work

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Actually I know for a fact the first one works, going to file and properties.

The application in the link provided- was not designed for windows 10 only upto 7.

8. Thecloudbacon

i know but that did not help me at all and it dosent work when i right click and do all that shit! Its not a zip nor a folder its a sound thing.

9. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

What doesn't work? Do you get an error message? What are you doing that isn't working?

10. Thecloudbacon

the mods

11. Bonabopn

What is it about the mods that is not working? What are you doing?

12. Thecloudbacon

it is appearing as a blender or a notepad file

13. Bonabopn

That means someone told windows that files ending in .modpak should be opened in blender or notepad.

This is tricky to fix. To fix it, you would have to find and delete a single entry written in your computer's registry.

The registry is very delicate, though. You would have to double and triple check that you've found the right entry.

If you let someone else in your family do it, you can blame them if it goes wrong.

14. Thecloudbacon

still no work and my brother did it

15. Bonabopn

Okay, i will try to explain this simply. First, are you an administrator on your PC? Because only an administrator can edit the registry. Editing the registry can damage your PC if you aren't 100% sure you know what you're doing, so follow these instructions well.

First, you need to find the registry. To find it, press the Windows button and X at the same time. The windows button is next to the Ctrl or Control button on your keyboard.
    This should bring up the "Run" menu. On my PC, it looks like this, but it may look a little different on Windows 10.
    [​IMG]
    If you don't see this window when you press the buttons, try Windows button and R instead.

As i have done above, type "regedit" and press enter. It will find regedit and try to open it.
    You may get a popup like below. This is telling you that you need the computer owner's permission to continue.
    [​IMG]
    This is where you have to be logged into an Administrator's account, or you can't continue. Press Yes if you can.

The registry should appear. This is what the registry looks like on my PC.
    [​IMG]

If you press the arrow to the left of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, you should see this.
    [​IMG]

This is a list of all the files types your PC knows about. Scroll down the list until you find .modpak. Here it is on my pc.
    [​IMG]

Make sure you click on .modpak first. Right click the entry named (Default) and click Delete.
    [​IMG]

It will warn you one last time that you should be 100% sure you know what you're doing. This is what it looks like on my PC.
    [​IMG]
    Press yes. Now restart your PC normally.

When your PC turns back on, check to see if the .modpak file is okay. It should have a blank icon.

After that, double check that your mods are in the right place. On my PC, they need to be kept with the program's files in this location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods.

I do not know if you use steam or where you have installed Starbound, but there should be a little file called "mods_go_here" in the correct location. Put your mods next to that.
    Remember to put it in Giraffe Storage and not Koala Storage, because the current version is called Giraffe.

I hope this explanation helps.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  16. Thecloudbacon

nope still dosent work

17. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Just out of curiosity: where do you place the mods?
    In stable they must be copied/moved to: (starbound folder goes here)\giraffe_storage\mods
    In unstable/nightly they must be copied/moved to: (unstable starbound folder goes here)\storage\mods

When you open the mods with a wrong program do you save them inside there? if yes this will definitely cause file corruption and will make the mod useless. If you just copy/move it without open it you will be fine. Associated programs and their icons are only some visual things for the user to make it easier for them to determine which file it is. It does not change the file content and the binary structure in it which is loaded by starbound. It will only be changed and corrupted if you open and save it with a wrong program. The .modpack files are somewhat like an file archive which is packed by starbounds integrated algorythm and therefor it can also unpack them by itself unless the file has been modified by some other program.

Let's say you write a text file and save it as an...uhm let's say a .mp3 file. If you'd open this file in notepad it'd have the same contents as before. Same thing goes for renaming a .mp3 file to a .txt file. You could listen to this text file in a media player since the file content is the same as before. So you see the file extension doesn't affect the file content. It'll only be affected when opened with a wrong program and save it with that program.

To get rid of the wrong associated program you need a tool or dig into the registry by yourself which can be a bit dangerous unless you know what you're doing.

Also when using mods make sure that they are up to date AND that they are for stable/unstable or nightly. Otherwise they could not work (dependent on what they're adding to the game).

If it won't recognize the mod after all please provide the appropriate starbound.log so we can look if we can find something inside it.

~ Iris ~

18. Thecloudbacon

my eyes hurt when i read this. But i place them in the stable one.