Modding Help Modifying weapon type usage

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Blade Skydancer, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Blade Skydancer

Blade Skydancer Void-Bound Voyager

Hello. I'm trying to modify spears so that they're used in one-hand(mainly so I can go Greek hoplite and use a spear and shield). I can sort of do it right now, in that I have to go into all the spears and change them to "shortswords" as their weapon type, and change all the settings that involve "twohanded" to false.

I'm wondering if there's a way that I just haven't found yet to make it so that the Spear item type can be used in one hand?

2. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

No, I think your method is basically what needs to be done. There isn't, to my knowledge, a general 'spear' file that tells the game how to behave. Theyre all 'swords' as far as the game is concerned, and each item is defined seperately under the stances variable. Theyve even got shield suppresion timers in the spear files, so I'm not sure you even need to change the type, just change the twohanded part.

3. Blade Skydancer

Actually, the item kind determines if it can have something else equipped with it. Axe, hammer, broadsword, and spear cannot have anything equipped with them despite their stance configuration, where as shortsword and dagger can. I've already tested this before.

4. Chandrak

Hmm interesting. That tells me then that there probably IS a config file lurking somewhere that defines the weapons in general somehow. I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find anything.

5. Blade Skydancer

Right, we need to figure out where the item kinds are defined in the game files. Then I'd only have to change two variables in the spears! Anyway, I'll have to release the mod when I'm done with it. Shouldn't be too much longer.

6. Chandrak

Hmm well, its not anywhere I'd expect it to be with respects to the item or interface folders, thats for sure. But I notice I cant seem to find any files relating to the actual equipping of gear (at least, based on their titles anyway) - whether its armor, or weapons, or tech. That is, I can't find any config for when you put things in equipement slots, which is where I'd expect that info to be. Any ideas?

Edit: It kind of surprises me, because I'd think that given that race selection is easilly moddable by adding in additional slots in that config, there'd be a way to add in extra equipment slots as well.

Edit: Nevermind, I found that part - it's under playerinvetoryconfig in the same folder, but it doesnt have what youre looking for.

7. Chandrak

I also notice that armor and weapons both are actually coded with specific filetypes that correspond to certain things in the config files - it may be hardcoded in. Might have to ask a dev, or at least someone who knows more about modding than I do, Im afraid