Modding, will it happen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NodusCZ, Nov 29, 2015.

1. NodusCZ

NodusCZ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, so this was circulating on my mind for some time now... Will there ever be mod support?
    The ship files seem to be in XML, and the assets are in .PNG maps, so modding should be possible, right? The other question being, if the game would load such modded asset.

I would test it, but i have no knowlege of anything code related.

• Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

If it does, the Avali would be a perfect mod idea.

• Megumin

Megumin Guest

let me guess.... no

• bluesaka111

bluesaka111 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I will look into this matter when I can solve the problem with my bank account.
          Can you give me a snippet of the ship file? both XML and PNG file please?

• MongooseCalledFred

MongooseCalledFred Starship Captain

Modding is possible. There's an old thread on the Steam forums with modified Kursha ships (search "Kursha mod"). There's also a couple guides to modding the dialogue. The ships, drop points, star map, and images are all modifiable, but the ships and drop points are in a modified XML format that makes them ridiculously hard to write from scratch.

As to any possibility of adding non-dialogue content, rather than just changing existing files, I'm still hopeful that the last update's teaser means that either mod tools/workshop support or the full Bashien expansion is coming.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
            • Jilly Bob the Third

Jilly Bob the Third Star Wrangler

Minecraft wasn't originally designed to be modded, and yet forge(the non mojang made modding engine) popped up.

What I'm saying is someone could make an external modding engine.

• MongooseCalledFred

I've thought about that. I don't know if it is possible to mod the executable with or without breaking an EULA, but it wouldn't be too ridiculous to build a map or dialogue editor.

• Jilly Bob the Third

Yeah but forge isn't part of Minecraft directly, its an external thing that can tell the internal exe what to do.

• MongooseCalledFred

I'm having a hard time seeing how Forge communicates with Minecraft, and what Interstellaria does that would allow similar interaction. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just skeptical.

• Jilly Bob the Third

Oh I forgot, Forge is actually a separate copy of Minecraft you just need an account to start it.