Modding Discussion Modding Guides and General Modding Discussion--REDUX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonAtHeart

DragonAtHeart Space Hobo

I'm trying to figure out modding to no avail. Never done any mods before, don't know which program to use, totally lost. Any good guides for hopeless rookies? (I want to apply some graphical mods. Random stuff like making my horse a dragon.)

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

In the OP for this thread there is information on opening .xnb files and then editing the images, then repacking the files. This'll help you =)

• jerabina

jerabina Intergalactic Tourist

Hello!

I want translate Stardew Valley into Czech language but when I tried pack some translated file into .xnb mode through xnb_node it shows me error. Description of error is in attached file, it's a log from cmd.

I tried pack translated Beach.yaml
        Edits you can see here: http://pastebin.com/uXMT0xcz

Please, do you know somebody how to fix this problem?
        Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

• Mucchan

Mucchan Tentacle Wrangler

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I can't figure out how to access methods and properties for 'Journey of the Prairie King'. Is it located under StardewValley.Minigames or somewhere else?

• Coffeeshoplullabies

Coffeeshoplullabies Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm new to modding, and I just downloaded a mod that's a .7z file. How do I apply it?

• KorvasTerindar

KorvasTerindar Void-Bound Voyager

I posted this in its own topic, but does anyone here know how the events work? I wanted to create some events for the dwarf, and I had ideas for a brand new character as well.

Avarwen likes this.
              • KiddFox

KiddFox Master Chief

I'm having some trouble with the unpacking part. I have the folders kept on my desktop and can direct to it fine. Then I do the extraction command for taking stuff from one folder named "content" to a second folder named "work" but I only get the yaml file for some reason. I tried the file.xnb file.png thing and the png wouldn't open and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

Are you using the EZ packing thing listed on fist post? I personally made a folder on my desktop named 'test' (yeah amazing name huh) and plunked the EZ packer into it with its folder structure intact.

From there I started copy pasting entire folders into the 'packed' folder to the point where I get some tea etc when I hit pack/unpack.

XNB Extract by Drogean. RECOMMENDED FOR XNB PACKING, UNPACKING. A simple toolkit put together to make unpacking using XNB Node as easy as possible. Includes XNB Node in the download.

Made expressly with me in mind and 110% Boffo approved!

Never a single issue ever using it; I made a mini shrine to Drogean for his tedium saver come from above.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
                    Drogean likes this.
                  • KiddFox

KiddFox Master Chief

I used xnbnode and I'm not very good with code based stuff so I just assumed I was entering something wrong. I'll see about what you linked though!

edit: I think the hats file just went wonky at some point during copying and pasting it since I did a separate test using the prog you linked with chickens and it worked! And much easier too haha, I'm sure I'll get it, and thank you so much!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
                      Drogean likes this.
                    • BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

I'm just the Herald for Drogean's fine work but you are welcome. That amazing collection of batch files allows us non coders to be able to focus on wrestling with the real enemy - tIDE and the limits placed on us by Ape's game!

Drogean likes this.
                      • Chesu

Chesu Intergalactic Tourist

edit: As it turns out, the springobjects.xnb in the Content folder and the springobjects.xnb in the Maps folder are, indeed, different. I must have accidentally checked the old one twice. Disregard this post.

I decided that, to keep things simple and learn the ropes, I would start by just changing the appearance of an item, and nothing else; giving Joja Cola a new can.

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me find where standard items are stored. The closest I've found is the springobjecs.xnb file (located in both the Content and Maps folders), which contains all sorts of items... but quite a few of them are old sprites not currently used in the game, including the Joja Cola can.

I can only assume that it's packed away in some file I wouldn't expect, but I've looked everywhere I can think to. Does anyone now where to find it?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
                        • PaulEndri

PaulEndri Space Hobo

So, been working on a mod for a bit using the API method, but C# is not a language I'm particularly strong in so it's been a number of learning experiences lol. If I were to start unpacking things using the xnb method, would I be able to get some idea of what the native processes/functions are, or are those hidden away in the .exe?

• Lemoras

Lemoras Space Spelunker

I hope this isn't the wrong thread for this, but apparently mods work different for the Steam and Gog version of the game. Can anyone figure out why that is?

Re-skins and such work fine, but items requiring interaction seem to only work for the game-version the modder worked with.
                            Mods I've seen posts for that they don't work for the GoG-version include "Access Chest Anywhere" by VIspReaderUS and "New Machines for flour, sugar and vinegar" by Iqorious.
                            What seems to work fine is the Label your Chests mod.

• iceburg 333

iceburg 333 Void-Bound Voyager

Hey All!

A while back I ask some questions regarding SMAPI Events/Hooks.
                              I wanted to make a mod to track the items you ship, and after about a month, I've just published it to the nexus.

You can check it out at the nexus
                              or at the website.

Thanks for the help all!

-Ice

• Igorious

Igorious Sandwich Man

XNB is only information. Numbers, strings, images. You can add new content, but you will be in within the native mechanic restrictions.
                                Code interceptions allow you react on events and change behaviour of items. But seems it's not easy at the moment.

Seems like missed quote before letter J.
                                Maybe in fragment «vis?#$b\Jsem uzkostlivy»

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
                                • barfyscorpion

barfyscorpion Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi folks, don't know if I'm late to the party but editing NPC dialogue is very easy in Notepad++. There are very few variables to worry about changing improperly. I have personally been editing Harvey's dialogue to be more varied and interesting. If a tutorial does not exist for it yet, I can write one. I haven't read all the pages of this thread, so I don't know if this has been answered/documented before, but if anyone is interested let me know and I could write up a tutorial.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
                                    GameHo, Avarwen and Little-Horns like this.
                                  • BAk99

BAk99 Space Hobo

Have constant looping issue with sound modding xwb :/

• EpicAdventure

EpicAdventure Zero Gravity Genie

Edit: Nevermind. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
                                      • fmydog

fmydog Void-Bound Voyager

if you are in need of modding the xnb files i highly recomend this package. It works REALLY WELL.

Drogean likes this.
                                        • fmydog

fmydog Void-Bound Voyager

HAHA can i donate to this shrine :p

see my above post, i recommend the tool for newbs that just want simple mods. only other thing you really need is notepad++

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.