Modding Discussion Modding Guides and General Modding Discussion--REDUX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cantorsdust, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Yeah, from what I can tell, ALL contains everything he needs to do what he wants, and ALL is good enough at handling these things that incompatible mods are only likely to occur when creating a override.

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

You can dynamically edit locations with code to avoid conflicts with other mods. My Farm Expansion mod adds a path on the left side of the farm without editing Farm.xnb, so anyone who edits Farm.xnb can still use my mod. Locations, layers, tiles, tilesheets, tile properties, tile index properties, etc. can all be modified without editing the .xnb

BlankSlater likes this.
      • nahrix

nahrix Master Chief

@Advize Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear :)

BlankSlater likes this.
        • BlankSlater

BlankSlater Space Penguin Leader

is it possible to extend the flooring sprite sheet to add new floors and paths to the game?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Not at this time, the code that handles the floors is burried deep inside the FarmHouse class, and not something we can access.
            Extra paths would be doable, but I would suggest waiting for FarmHand since that removes a lot of the hackiness needed to get custom paths.

BlankSlater likes this.
            • goblinbread

goblinbread Void-Bound Voyager

I'm editing the farmer_base sprite sheets and there are two sprites present on the male sheet that are not present on the female sheet. does anyone know what these sprites are used for/if they're used at all? I have literally no idea what is going on with the legs which makes them difficult to edit. Are they crouching? walking? doing the stanky legg? I just don't know. its the two sprites with the neon green back ground
              [​IMG]

• Declension

Declension Cosmic Narwhal

That part of the sprite is dancing for the spring dance I believe, which the girls and guys have different dances. I believe.

• goblinbread

goblinbread Void-Bound Voyager

i see! thank you very much. that helps me a lot, tbh. I really honestly could not parse what was going on there at all lol.

• Dozy

Dozy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just replying because this tool REALLY does not get enough love. It makes packing/unpacking files so much easier than having to go through the Command Prompt method.

I don't understand why it doesn't have its own dedicated topic.

kashue, Hammurabi and Drogean like this.
                    • angryelle

angryelle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry if this isn't the place for this, I'd just like something confirmed. I'm adding different non-default animals to the game (like alpacas to sheep, etc) and I'm wondering if there's a way for them to use separate baby textures? I'm almost certain there isn't, but wanted to make sure. I'd like a wider variety of animals but don't really want to replace existing ones.

Edit: Oh, I'd also like to know if there was a way to get different breeds/animals to appear randomly, like brown chickens/cows are chance? Right now the only way I know to make them appear is to edit the save file.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
                      • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

• angryelle

angryelle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as I can see, that is just a quicker way to do what I'm already doing? Sorry if I wasn't clear; I know how to add new breeds to animals, I was wondering if I could give different breeds separate baby textures. And also add an in-game way to acquire the new breeds (ie, without save editing). I assume the answer to both of these is a hard "no", I just wanted to be sure.

BlankSlater likes this.
                        • BlankSlater

BlankSlater Space Penguin Leader

is it possible to edit the contents of books?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I do not believe that is possible at this time, since it is not something CA has really developed into a system rather then it being a hack.

BlankSlater likes this.
                            • Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Hmm.. I thought I had it all figured out but apparently not (I kid, I kid). I created a new map, made a .yaml and set up 'walk off screen' warps however they are not taking me to my new map, only placing me where I was. Is there something special I have to do? I've checked out similar mods but they usually involve being placed in the Mods folder with some coding behind them. Is that what it takes or can I add the packaged .xnb to the Maps folder? I also actually ended up deleting the map I made by accident while removing other unpackaged files surrounding it. Although that sucks, I'd still like to figure this out and start all over.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
                              • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Your custom map wont be loaded unless a SMAPI mod tells the game to load it, that is why the warps dont work, it is why I created ALL, so that people who dont know C# can easily add their content to the game.

BlankSlater likes this.
                                • Androxilogin

I was figuring ALL could accomplish this but since I want it to trigger while leaving the screen I don't suppose it would be ALLShift?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

No, a normal warp, you are leaving one location for another after all, ALLShift is for moving from one point to another in the same location.

• Androxilogin

Say if my new location is called "mountain2.xnb", I set up a Warp | 11 42 mountain2 0 26. What else might I need to add to this in order for ALL to recognize it?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You need to make your mod into a ALL mod, with the manifest telling it to add "mountain2" as a new location, when you do this, ALL will then load the mountain2.xnb into the game, and that means any warps to that location will automatically work.

Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.